What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, Richnimrod said:

Opened a new bottle of Irish in honor of the patron saint of Ireland: St. Patrick, dontcha know?     

12-year Redbreast.      For me?   Still Irish, therefor; Meh!   I just have yet to find one that excites me taste buddies.   Ah, well.   Once a year.   It's OK.

Probably the 40% version?  I have a RB 12 yr cask strength open and it's pretty good. IMO. 

• I like it 3

A119 ECBP.  Probably should be on the cocktail thread.  After an initial sip, put 1 to 1 ratio with fever tree ginger beer and a couple of amaretto soaked cherries.  Cheers!

• I like it 1

I'm trying to decide what to open next. I'll probably crack something new tomorrow. Deciding what to open next is one of my favorite things about this. 

• I like it 1

Opened one from the bunker that's been collecting dust for a couple years. Johnny Drum Private Stock (from KBD). It really does have a strong peanut butter note just like Minnick says. I like it.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, Richnimrod said:

Opened a new bottle of Irish in honor of the patron saint of Ireland: St. Patrick, dontcha know?     

12-year Redbreast.      For me?   Still Irish, therefor; Meh!   I just have yet to find one that excites me taste buddies.   Ah, well.   Once a year.   It's OK.

I share your lack of enthusiasm Rich. Did you try the Teeling single malt I brought to Bardstown? Its my current St Paddys day pour and I prefer it by a mile to RB12.  The Teeling is a very nice whiskey in its own right, just don't compare it to bourbon LOL!!

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

I share your lack of enthusiasm Rich. Did you try the Teeling single malt I brought to Bardstown? Its my current St Paddys day pour and I prefer it by a mile to RB12.  The Teeling is a very nice whiskey in its own right, just don't compare it to bourbon LOL!!

I did not, Kevin.   I tasted it before, and wasn't all that impressed; but, I agree that RB 12, 80-proof is very inferior, and costs more!   A mistake I won't make a second time.

• I like it 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, fosmith said:

Probably the 40% version?  I have a RB 12 yr cask strength open and it's pretty good. IMO. 

RB CS neat gives me the hiccups, but it is a great pour.  It is really good over crushed ice (no hiccups).

53 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

RB CS neat gives me the hiccups, but it is a great pour.  It is really good over crushed ice (no hiccups).

I'll have to try the CS over crushed ice. I've had it neat, I've tried adding water, and I still don't care for it as much as the regular 15yr. so maybe this will work for me.

A full week of quarantine under my belt with the wife and kids. I’m ready to mark the occasion. I’d like to say I waited the usual 10 minutes or so, but frankly I just don’t have the patience tonight. It’s hitting the spot though. I love this pour.

3954ABFD-714E-4520-A147-2645D407FD47.jpeg

• I like it 3

Opened this MMCS up today, and dug right in.  

9ABB97C7-9AFA-4722-BB36-9A4F839C4934.jpeg

• I like it 5

Today was this little gem. My local shop got it in, and knowing how I love MHC and Cigar Blend, let me know. Of course I opened it right as I got home. It's a pretty dammed good bottle, but I'll do tasting notes later

IMG_20200327_175125_169.jpg

• I like it 4

We had a virtual happy hour with 6 or 7 of us coworkers gathering in WebEx. I opened a fresh Blanton's. One of the guys opened his 19 GTS.

20200328_130435.jpg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

We had a virtual happy hour with 6 or 7 of us coworkers gathering in WebEx. I opened a fresh Blanton's. One of the guys opened his 19 GTS.

20200328_130435.jpg

Aw, c'mon. The whole "bluetooth earbuds as art" thing is getting completely out of control!

Seriously now, I've occasionally been doing the virtual drinking thing with my brother over the last few years. We live a couple hundred miles apart, so it works out well. Only problem is that we have a tendency to drink more than we would in each other's physical presence. Roughly every other conversation starts with "Let's try to drink a bit less enthusiastically than last time, OK?"

And so I stay on topic, tonight I intend to open a 2003 Spring release GTS

• I like it 4

15 minutes ago, jbutler said:

And so I stay on topic, tonight I intend to open a 2003 Spring release GTS'

BOOM! Good to open the good ones during these strange times.

1 hour ago, jbutler said:

1 hour ago, flahute said:

BOOM! Good to open the good ones during these strange times.

I had the same thought today as well. Made trip to the bunker and grabbed a bottle of 2017 GTS and it tastes fantastic. Probably not at the same level as the 2003 release, but it is might tasty. Like @flahute said, not better time than the present to drink our good stuff. Never know what tomorrow will bring or if will even show up. Cheers everyone!

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, elmossle said:

I had the same thought today as well. Made trip to the bunker and grabbed a bottle of 2017 GTS and it tastes fantastic. Probably not at the same level as the 2003 release, but it is might tasty. Like @flahute said, not better time than the present to drink our good stuff. Never know what tomorrow will bring or if will even show up. Cheers everyone!

An excellent choice! I was drinking that last night as well.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, jbutler said:

You da’ boss, Boss!  ?

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You da’ boss, Boss!  ?

Biba! Joe

Thanks, Joe. Unfortunately, I'm so horribly, horribly, sober that I didn't say what I meant. I have a 2003, but it's the fall 2005 I'm going to open. Goddamn. Got the year and release wrong with the bottles right in front of me. I guess that's it; you guys are all gonna bail now because I've exposed myself as a fraud.

Haha. I'll let y'all know how my self esteem is doing after a couple pours of whatever freakin bottle of GTS I end up opening.

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, kiltedchef said:

Today was this little gem. My local shop got it in, and knowing how I love MHC and Cigar Blend, let me know. Of course I opened it right as I got home. It's a pretty dammed good bottle, but I'll do tasting notes later

IMG_20200327_175125_169.jpg

Can't wait to hear your thoughts and read your tasting notes, @kiltedchef. I'm currently having a wee dram of it right now, as I'm watching the rain outside and contemplating this really bizarre and scary time under lock-down. 

Be well my friend! 

Nancy

1 hour ago, jbutler said:

Thanks, Joe. Unfortunately, I'm so horribly, horribly, sober that I didn't say what I meant. I have a 2003, but it's the fall 2005 I'm going to open. Goddamn. Got the year and release wrong with the bottles right in front of me. I guess that's it; you guys are all gonna bail now because I've exposed myself as a fraud.

Haha. I'll let y'all know how my self esteem is doing after a couple pours of whatever freakin bottle of GTS I end up opening.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

tough call on which to open, eh Boss?

First World problems! ?

I actually ended up drinking from my "dregs" bottle. It's got the tail end of many superb bottles in it, few of which I could name, but damn it's seriously tasty!

• I like it 4

19 minutes ago, Kepler said:

What the hell, I'm celebrating my anniversary.  

20200328_214941.jpg

Damn.

So freakin jealous right now!!!

Happy Anniversary.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.