Quarantine

DanP
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve got plenty of whiskey to ride out almost any situation. But, what I’ve realized as I assess my current stash is that I don’t keep enough in hand of bottles that are good for mixing cocktails. The vast majority of the stuff in my bunker is stuff that is really meant to be drank neat (or with a little ice/water). For stuff that I mix in cocktails, which is a decent % of my overall consumption, I generally buy that stuff as I use it. So my lesson now is to keep a little more quantity of stuff I want to mix on hand. Otherwise I would pretty quickly end up using good mid shelf bottles in cocktails which feels like a bit of a waste. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I’ve got plenty of whiskey to ride out almost any situation. But, what I’ve realized as I assess my current stash is that I don’t keep enough in hand of bottles that are good for mixing cocktails. The vast majority of the stuff in my bunker is stuff that is really meant to be drank neat (or with a little ice/water). For stuff that I mix in cocktails, which is a decent % of my overall consumption, I generally buy that stuff as I use it. So my lesson now is to keep a little more quantity of stuff I want to mix on hand. Otherwise I would pretty quickly end up using good mid shelf bottles in cocktails which feels like a bit of a waste. 

I am fortunate enough that I have some handles of WT101 that I picked up over the past few months at $20 each. I feel that this bourbon is a versatile workhorse that can be used many ways. 

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, Double C's said:

I am fortunate enough that I have some handles of WT101 that I picked up over the past few months at $20 each. I feel that this bourbon is a versatile workhorse that can be used many ways. 

Yeah that’s a perfect example. I drink more 101 rye than bourbon, but for $20/handle that’s a crazy good value. Having a few or more of those around would be a good idea, since I pay $30 per liter of the 101 rye

23 minutes ago, Double C's said:

If a hypothetical fellow SBer were interested in, someday, finding said handles of WT @ $20 (instead of $30 or $40 ) where would this hypothetical SBer do his shopping?

I'm good on everything.  Yesterday I phoned my elderly neighbors.  They are good too.

I've been venturing out twice a week by myself for supplies.

What's the fascination with toilet paper?  Stores are all out.  Fortunately my wife happened to purchase a big package before the craziness.  Are all these people stuck at home just sitting on the john? ?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Good call.

We always keep handles of EWB, EWBIB & WT101 on hand. I'm not much on cocktails, (the occasional Old Fashioned,  or Kentucky Mule), but when I do, I'm fine with any of those.

I have no problem with sippin' on them either, with a slight edge going towards the WT101.

The home of Virginia Gentleman has priorities straight.  Just received lengthy email updating about Va ABC response and noting they well continue to keep all stores open as best able.  Here's this pertinent quote from the email:

" The law creating the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority deems the exercise of our powers and duties as the performance of an essential governmental function and a matter of public necessity. "

On 3/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, Kane said:

Fortunately (?) that couldn't be more accurate.

Rumor has it that some of those "curbside" food trucks in the 1960-70s in Viet Nam, Cambodia, and even Japan. . . .

Here's what I have to say about that - my father was with the USN post-WWII (late-1945-all of 1946)and told me incredible stories about being in Nanking when food was nonexistent.  MY take on this from having eaten lots of mystery meat?  If you've ever eaten muskrat, opposum/possum (THEY ARE DIFFERENT, you all!), groundhog, etc., -- the best test is: if the "locals" are eating it regularly, it probably is OK to eat.  The surprise is, a lot of those greasy chunks taste "not bad". :rolleyes:

On 3/18/2020 at 2:47 PM, GeeTen said:

Anything tastes great with soy sauce and garlic! Dogs, too - ask the Koreans.  ?

Put it in a tiny Dutch oven (i.e., a CLAY POT WITH LID) and heat to kill the pathogens and EAT!  Excellent.  For those of you who have never had "dog", it may not taste like chicken like alligator does, but it is no more greasy than squirrel, muskrat, etc.  Ketchup or Pete's Hot Sauce or soy saucw fixes all.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

The home of Virginia Gentleman has priorities straight.  Just received lengthy email updating about Va ABC response and noting they well continue to keep all stores open as best able.  Here's this pertinent quote from the email:

" The law creating the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority deems the exercise of our powers and duties as the performance of an essential governmental function and a matter of public necessity. "

THANKS for this.  Wash DC stores I frequent have been reassuring me via email that they (1) will throw boxes in my car at curbside if I order online and park outside OR (2) deliver!!!!  I/we spend a good bit of time (and $600+ in bourbon/rye/other purchases) in Virginia, but I've heard NOTHING from them.

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Rumor has it that some of those "curbside" food trucks in the 1960-70s in Viet Nam, Cambodia, and even Japan. . . .

Here's what I have to say about that - my father was with the USN post-WWII (late-1945-all of 1946)and told me incredible stories about being in Nanking when food was nonexistent.  MY take on this from having eaten lots of mystery meat?  If you've ever eaten muskrat, opposum/possum (THEY ARE DIFFERENT, you all!), groundhog, etc., -- the best test is: if the "locals" are eating it regularly, it probably is OK to eat.  The surprise is, a lot of those greasy chunks taste "not bad". :rolleyes:

Put it in a tiny Dutch oven (i.e., a CLAY POT WITH LID) and heat to kill the pathogens and EAT!  Excellent.  For those of you who have never had "dog", it may not taste like chicken like alligator does, but it is no more greasy than squirrel, muskrat, etc.  Ketchup or Pete's Hot Sauce or soy saucw fixes all.

I've personally cooked and eaten all the 'wild options' you mention Harry.   I'd disagree about squirrels being greasy, though: they're just not, rabbits neither.   'Possum, Woodchuck, and especially Muskrat are rather greasy.   Raccoon is even more so; but if you parboil it first it's pretty good... like a really fatty pork shoulder.   Never tasted dog meat . . . that I know of.    I considered it once having shot a coyote while deer hunting many a year ago; hut was put off by the extremely strong urine smell of the cur.   Having eaten lotsa carry out from a few local Chinese restaurants, I imagine I've tasted more than a little domestic cat, though.

• I like it 3

Alabama ABC has instituted some strange rules that I don't really understand. "Counter service, only", a limited number of customers at a time (I think it's five), and only one 750 ml bottle per customer.

I don't think I'll mess with it until things have gone back to normal.

Edited by ratcheer

1 hour ago, ratcheer said:

... and only one 750 ml bottle per customer....

what?  that's inhumane.  what next, ration toilet paper?

11 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

what?  that's inhumane.  what next, ration toilet paper?

...If only it could be found 'in the wild'.    Much like 'unicorn' bourbon, it's kinda auto-rationed... as in UNAVAILABLE Anywhere at Any Price!

Or maybe ...it's still to be found in VERY limited quantities, and exorbitant cost on the 'secondary'?

Edited by Richnimrod

12 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

...If only it could be found 'in the wild'.    Much like 'unicorn' bourbon, it's kinda auto-rationed... as in UNAVAILABLE Anywhere at Any Price!

Or maybe ...it's still to be found in VERY limited quantities, and exorbitant cost on the 'secondary'?

Just now I bought the last 3-pack of paper towel at my local Trader Joe's, behind the counter on a makeshift display. The unicorn comparison is not too far off.

• I like it 2

On 3/18/2020 at 10:15 PM, B.B. Babington said:

Only in certain provinces.  Other areas consider it gross and inhumane.  But chicken feet still big most everywhere.  

Would one of those provinces be Hubei by chance?  Some people there evidently eat bats or scaly anteaters so why not dogs. Disgusting.

Btw, the US once allowed slavery in "certain" states but that didn't excuse that.

Edited by Kepler
From it to that

As of tonight the pubs are shutting here, as are restaurants (take aways still open). The local shops are being raided for beer. It's all a bit grim. 

11 minutes ago, beasled said:

As of tonight the pubs are shutting here, as are restaurants (take aways still open). The local shops are being raided for beer. It's all a bit grim. 

Hang in there man.

• I like it 1

The Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky just authorized the delivery of beer and liquor...big move for the Bluegrass State.

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Would one of those provinces be Hubei by chance?  Some people there evidently eat bats or scaly anteaters so why not dogs. Disgusting.

Btw, the US once allowed slavery in "certain" states but that didn't excuse that.

Man... that's NOT an apt comparison.

(This is not directed at you @Kepler) Sorry to derail this into a politics thread but... The dog & cat topic is controversial only because some western cultures made an arbitrary choice to befriend dogs, and murder lambs and calves like maniacs. There's nothing more humanly than hunting and eating whatever protein is viable in your neck of the woods. Saying we don't understand how they can stomach that is one thing, and that points to our lack of capacity to understand. Calling that "inhumane" is going too far.

• I like it 1

On 3/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Well it’s official, my liquor supply is cut off. All FWGS stores throughout PA are closed until further notice...

Apparently New York, California and Illinois feel differently and consider liquor stores "essential". Here's part of an email from Binny's today:

Binny's Beverage Depot
twitter.png facebook.png instagram.png pinterest.png  

To Our Customers,
We will remain open to serve you.

Binny's is among retailers deemed essential during the COVID-19 response. Binny's will remain open during this time. Store hours may change. Be sure to check binnys.com for the latest updates.

We are open Tomorrow, 3/21, 10am - 7pm

visit binnys.com for upcoming store hours

We will continue to serve you while taking COVID-19 seriously. Please have patience as we work to serve you, sometimes with limited resources.

We are operating under the guidance from the State of Illinois in limiting the number of guests at a time, and cannot allow congregation outside our stores.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Would one of those provinces be Hubei by chance?  Some people there evidently eat bats or scaly anteaters so why not dogs....

yes, dog on menu in Hubei.  Virus source still not known, but suspect anteater from Guangdong traded as medicinal which was infected by bat.  Anteater is prohibited by Chinese law for trade and consumption, but still active trade in black-market.  A Guangdong anteater shared plus 99% genome equivalent with SARS-CoV-2 aka COVID19 original genome from about late November 2019, there are now plus 410 genome mutations as of March 13, 2020.  Take this very serious folks.

The anteater in question is an animal called a pangolin.  There are several varieties that live in Africa and Asia.  It looks sort of like an armadillo.  These animals are endangered.  A lucrative black market has existed in Asia.  There is zero scientific evidence for any medical value.

Bats - I don't know about Chinese people eating bats.  I've caught and handled some live bats.  There's not much to them.  I have heard of bats flying by and leaving droppings (like birds) that can contaminate water or livestock feed.

Animals people eat - even in the same country, people can like different things.  I'm a big fan of seafood.  Most of my in-laws are afraid of it.  I grew up with the tradition of having all the different types of seafood on Christmas eve.  So, I think that's the best.  Those in-laws that don't like it are uncultured, narrow minded, and silly. 

Hindus don't eat cows.  Muslims and Jews don't eat pigs.  Some folks are vegan.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Man... that's NOT an apt comparison..

The only comparison I was making was in reference to the "only in certain provinces" comment that dogs are eaten as food, whereas in other provinces it is frowned upon.

My point was that slavery was once allowed "only in certain states" but that didn't make it right then, and it isn't right now that the Chinese government still allows this wet market culture to exist, even if it's only in certain provinces. Unfortunately the entire world is now paying the ultimate price for their utter shortcomings and negligence in this matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.