Quarantine

DanP
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

The anteater in question is an animal called a pangolin.  There are several varieties that live in Africa and Asia.  It looks sort of like an armadillo.  These animals are endangered.  A lucrative black market has existed in Asia.  There is zero scientific evidence for any medical value.

Bats - I don't know about Chinese people eating bats.  I've caught and handled some live bats.  There's not much to them.  I have heard of bats flying by and leaving droppings (like birds) that can contaminate water or livestock feed.

Animals people eat - even in the same country, people can like different things.  I'm a big fan of seafood.  Most of my in-laws are afraid of it.  I grew up with the tradition of having all the different types of seafood on Christmas eve.  So, I think that's the best.  Those in-laws that don't like it are uncultured, narrow minded, and silly. 

Hindus don't eat cows.  Muslims and Jews don't eat pigs.  Some folks are vegan.

There is an excellent and very interesting investigation done by 60 Minutes Australia about these wild animal wet markets. They went undercover at a very similar market in Thailand. 

Anyone interested in why our society is being locked down across the globe should google "60 Minutes Australia undercover wet markets coronavirus" and watch it on YouTube.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

yes, dog on menu in Hubei.  Virus source still not known, but suspect anteater from Guangdong traded as medicinal which was infected by bat.  Anteater is prohibited by Chinese law for trade and consumption, but still active trade in black-market.  A Guangdong anteater shared plus 99% genome equivalent with SARS-CoV-2 aka COVID19 original genome from about late November 2019, there are now plus 410 genome mutations as of March 13, 2020.  Take this very serious folks.

Oh I've been taking it serious for a few months now as I've watched this unfold since it began. I had read that about the scaly anteater but not about the 410 genome mutations! Scary.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I had read that about the scaly anteater but not about the 410 genome mutations! Scary.

Great - just another reason to start drinking a little after noon.  Maybe tomorrow, I'll start drinking before noon - yea, that's the ticket!  ?

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Apparently New York, California and Illinois feel differently and consider liquor stores "essential". Here's part of an email from Binny's today:

Binny's Beverage Depot
twitter.png facebook.png instagram.png pinterest.png  

To Our Customers,
We will remain open to serve you.

Binny's is among retailers deemed essential during the COVID-19 response. Binny's will remain open during this time. Store hours may change. Be sure to check binnys.com for the latest updates.

We are open Tomorrow, 3/21, 10am - 7pm

visit binnys.com for upcoming store hours

We will continue to serve you while taking COVID-19 seriously. Please have patience as we work to serve you, sometimes with limited resources.

We are operating under the guidance from the State of Illinois in limiting the number of guests at a time, and cannot allow congregation outside our stores.

Yep, the one good thing that could have got us through this mess is now closed, so stupid.  

Considering how much PA makes in taxes off booze, I am at a loss as to their reasoning here.  

19 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yep, the one good thing that could have got us through this mess is now closed, so stupid.  

Considering how much PA makes in taxes off booze, I am at a loss as to their reasoning here.  

A lot of questionable decisions coming out of PA such as closing all the rest areas that truckers rely on who we all are relying on to deliver all the supplies that need to be restocked in all the stores we are all running on. At least they heard the complaints and reopened them.

• I like it 3

As a gun owner, I was pleasantly surprised to see our governor allowing gun stores to remain open and be considered "essential". Let's just hope things don't get so nuts that people have to resort to using their guns to protect themselves. Here's part of an email I received this morning:

UPDATE
at
Smokin Gun Worx

In compliance with the "Executive Order in Response to COVID-19" We are adjusting our hours and amenities at Smokin Gun Worx.

This establishment is classified as an entity that "supplies essential business and operations". Due to the nature of our business, we supply "firearms and ammunition for purposes of safety and security"  to the people of Illinois.

In compliance with the Executive Order, Smokin Gun Worx will do our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19.  Therefore our range will be closed until April 7th.  Social Distancing protocols will be followed. We recommend everyone adhere to the "6 foot rule" when others are present. 
  • I like it 4

51 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

As a gun owner, I was pleasantly surprised to see our governor allowing gun stores to remain open and be considered "essential". Let's just hope things don't get so nuts that people have to resort to using their guns to protect themselves. Here's part of an email I received this morning:

UPDATE
at
Smokin Gun Worx

In compliance with the "Executive Order in Response to COVID-19" We are adjusting our hours and amenities at Smokin Gun Worx.

This establishment is classified as an entity that "supplies essential business and operations". Due to the nature of our business, we supply "firearms and ammunition for purposes of safety and security"  to the people of Illinois.

In compliance with the Executive Order, Smokin Gun Worx will do our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19.  Therefore our range will be closed until April 7th.  Social Distancing protocols will be followed. We recommend everyone adhere to the "6 foot rule" when others are present. 

That's  awesome. Yes protecting  yourself and your family should be included as "essential"! Thanks for sharing this news.

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

No kidding.  Just remember this, when later in the year they are crying about needing money.

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

No kidding.  Just remember this, when later in the year they are crying about needing money.

I’m trying to build a nest egg now using my typical bourbon/rum budget so if I take a trip to the motherland I can splurge once this is all over...

• I like it 4

24 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I’m trying to build a nest egg now using my typical bourbon/rum budget so if I take a trip to the motherland I can splurge once this is all over...

I'll meet you there.  

Bring Primanti bros.

?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Now you're talking. ?

21 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

We canceled a trip there during this and stayed home, so also looking for to rescheduling a trip there.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:46 AM, PaulO said:

I grew up with the tradition of having all the different types of seafood on Christmas eve.  So, I think that's the best.  Those in-laws that don't like it are uncultured, narrow minded, and silly. 

Come on man, you've got to be kidding me.

You literally just said if they don't like what you like they are uncultured, narrow minded and silly.

Do you know what that statement really means? It means you are the one that is uncultured, narrow minded and silly!

On 3/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, Vosgar said:

Apparently New York, California and Illinois feel differently and consider liquor stores "essential". Here's part of an email from Binny's today:

Binny's Beverage Depot
twitter.png facebook.png instagram.png pinterest.png  

To Our Customers,
We will remain open to serve you.

Binny's is among retailers deemed essential during the COVID-19 response. Binny's will remain open during this time. Store hours may change. Be sure to check binnys.com for the latest updates.

We are open Tomorrow, 3/21, 10am - 7pm

visit binnys.com for upcoming store hours

We will continue to serve you while taking COVID-19 seriously. Please have patience as we work to serve you, sometimes with limited resources.

We are operating under the guidance from the State of Illinois in limiting the number of guests at a time, and cannot allow congregation outside our stores.

The State of Illinois is on "shelter in place" semi-lockdown, but the State has good priorities when it comes to it's citizen's well-being (tho they will probably find a way to tax the virus).

Binny's is establishing early "senior hours" so the most vunerable can also try to assertain what bottles they refuse to put out on the floor.

21 hours ago, 0895 said:

I'll meet you there.  

Bring Primanti bros.

?

Amen to that, sounds good to me.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BrokeCal said:

Come on man, you've got to be kidding me.

You literally just said if they don't like what you like they are uncultured, narrow minded and silly.

Do you know what that statement really means? It means you are the one that is uncultured, narrow minded and silly!

Uhh, I think he was kidding.  He WAS kidding, right???   ?

• I like it 2

So, just to get this straight, liquor stores, weed stores and gun shops are essential businesses... But the clothing and shoe stores have to close??? Well... It would make sense the one organization that can't define the word 'essential' would be the damn government.

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Uhh, I think he was kidding.  He WAS kidding, right???   ?

A big part of humor is self deprecating, or making fun of other people (as long as it's not too mean).

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

So, just to get this straight, liquor stores, weed stores and gun shops are essential businesses... But the clothing and shoe stores have to close??? Well... It would make sense the one organization that can't define the word 'essential' would be the damn California government.

FIFY!   ?

• I like it 1

Just a couple of observations since all restaurants are closed. I have noticed my local seafood store has an abundant supply

of everything , including stuff they don't normally get.  My local corner LS has been getting some allocated stuff.

They got a case of Blantons on Friday. In 15 years they have never got 1 bottle. I assume with the restaurants closed, all the high end product  

needs to go somewhere. Anyone else seeing this?

• I like it 1

Responding to this post:

*  In the very unlikely event I ever run out of bourbon, I'll just head over to Joe's or Bruce's house.

*  Got plenty of guns and ammo.  Covered on that. 

*  Been heeding singer/songwriter Sheryl Crow's admonition and suggestion of 2007 that you only use 1 tissue square per  poop visit to the toilet.  ( self help videos  on YouTube), seriously)   You can make a roll last for a month or more !   It is a little messy and the chaffing is an issue but , hey ,we are in crisis mode...

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, troyce said:

Responding to this post:

*  In the very unlikely event I ever run out of bourbon, I'll just head over to Joe's or Bruce's house.

*  Been heeding singer/songwriter Sheryl Crow's admonition and suggestion of 2007 that you only use 1 tissue square per  poop visit to the toilet.  ( self help videos  on YouTube), seriously)   You can make a roll last for a month or more !   It is a little messy and the chaffing is an issue but , hey ,we are in crisis mode...

Good to see you've made your emergency plans, Jimmie. One suggestion: from a hygiene standpoint and to be considerate to your potential host, you might think about using more than a square or two before heading over to Joe's or Bruce's place ? ?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, troyce said:

Responding to this post:

Dang Jimmy, that's 3 posts in the last 7 days. Is everything ok? Are you feeling alright? Can I help in anyway?

49 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Dang Jimmy, that's 3 posts in the last 7 days. Is everything ok? Are you feeling alright? Can I help in anyway?

Naw.  All's good.  Just trying to be more " social distant".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.