What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night enjoyed some ER. This Binnys pick is solid, but my recollection is the big bottle in the back is better. Will revisit tonight and hopefully send the 750 to the recycling bin!

77CAB6A3-A0C1-43AB-A98D-F0EEEFFFA9CD.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

In honor of BOTM I'm sipping some Buffalo Trace SP.

Ditto! ^_^

Biba! 

• I like it 1

Been working through a bunch of low fills.  OWA, FRSB, ER 10/101 L'burg, PHC4....just trying to do this quarantine right!

Had a pour of Weller 12 tonight while watching Eating History on my iPad. The episode titled “Apocalypse Chow” has an old Jim beam decanter from the 60s on it. The civil defense crackers brought back memories of the drills. We lived about 50 miles from Barksdale Air Force base so  when they told us to get below our desks, I remember thinking it would be better fo them to just tell us to “ bend over and kiss our ass goodbye!”..  

• I like it 2

I went back to Johnny Drum Private Stock tonight after opening it a little while ago. The first time I had it I quite enjoyed it, it had a nice peanut butter note. Tonight it wasn't really working for me at all. That's  KBD for you.

So I switched to a EC store pick. Now we're talking.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, jcg9779 said:

Been working through a bunch of low fills.  OWA, FRSB, ER 10/101 L'burg, PHC4....just trying to do this quarantine right!

That's doing it right 

ER10 store pick. Sister sent me 2 bottles from her local shop in El Paso. I’ll be asking her for a few more! 

87B3E22B-D336-4B34-94AD-9B9385C87E2E.jpeg

• I like it 3

WT 101 tonight.  I'm sure glad that I put a few extra in the closet when they were on sale.  I'm babysitting all the time now.  Wife is in high demand at the hospital.  I don't need any really expensive whiskey.  If I get a little time, this is in my wheel house.

• I like it 5

Wife was watching something on the Oprah Network and to maintain my sanity I went downstairs to the bar and sanitized my innards with some Old Overholt BIB.

• I like it 2

Kicking off the weekend with a 2014 Angel’s Envy. 

my wife is joining me with some Patron Extra Anejo

711C4829-8B53-48B7-8CC1-611F498F7758.jpeg

403A229F-F9E8-4F53-9AA9-7140620F75EA.jpeg

• I like it 1

Happy wife, Happy Life.  The fire in the background looks nice.  I assume you had the big drop off in temperature we had Indiana.  80 degrees on Wednesday, storms over night, and then 40 on Thursday.  Still cool today.

Yep, we actually had snow showers yesterday. Expecting an inch of snow on Monday night. It’s April in Michigan. 

• I like it 1

Just opened a GBS Russell's Reserve Single Barrel that Bruce was kind enough to leave me last time he was here. I must say this is an excellent bottle of bourbon. Friday nights we practice social distancing with the neighbors. They stay 5 feet on their side of the chain link fence, and we on ours. Always a good time. In the words of Robert Frost, "Good fences make good neighbors". Quite certain he didn't mean the same as I, but then Mr. Frost wasn't dealing with SARS-CoV-2 when he penned the poem. ? 

There's a good joke in there somewhere, but I have to go drink now.

• I like it 8

After a long day of evaluating Bourbon cask samples for batching potential, finally shifting gears and revisiting a Four Roses 2014 Limited Edition 11 y.o. OESF barrel strength single barrel late this Friday afternoon. Has notes of muddled mint leaves and cherry pie. A good way to start the weekend! 

Cheers,

Nancy 

IMG_3913.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 8

18 minutes ago, jbutler said:

Just opened a GBS Russell's Reserve Single Barrel that Bruce was kind enough to leave me last time he was here. I must say this is an excellent bottle of bourbon. 

Poured a glass of that same whiskey myself this afternoon. My bottle has been open for almost a year and today it tastes better than ever. The GBS crew were kind enough to let me tag along for this pick (with Eddie!) and it's fun to recall the memories of the pick whenever I have a pour.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Yep, we actually had snow showers yesterday. Expecting an inch of snow on Monday night. It’s April in Michigan. 

My wife and I are disappointed.  We usually take a couple of trips each year to Bear Lake, Traverse City, Petosky.   We also like the Holland/South Haven area.  We usually take a trip in the April/May time frame and then again in mid-October.  

This is going to be a tough year for Michigan tourism.  

Public Service Announcement: Wild Turkey 101 is damn good! That is all. Return to your drinking. 

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, jbutler said:

Just opened a GBS Russell's Reserve Single Barrel that Bruce was kind enough to leave me last time he was here. I must say this is an excellent bottle of bourbon. Friday nights we practice social distancing with the neighbors. They stay 5 feet on their side of the chain link fence, and we on ours. Always a good time. In the words of Robert Frost, "Good fences make good neighbors". Quite certain he didn't mean the same as I, but then Mr. Frost wasn't dealing with SARS-CoV-2 when he penned the poem. ? 

There's a good joke in there somewhere, but I have to go drink now.

Best to you, Boss Jim.  This has been a rough patch for those in the Golden State.  We are practicing similar distancing visitations with our neighbors, especially as the weather warms in Indiana.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Poured a glass of that same whiskey myself this afternoon. My bottle has been open for almost a year and today it tastes better than ever. The GBS crew were kind enough to let me tag along for this pick (with Eddie!) and it's fun to recall the memories of the pick whenever I have a pour.

Whenever I see the name GBS associated with a barrel select, I am envious...and I never even had one of their picks.  Well, maybe, one indirectly.  However, these guys are all quite knowledge and their tastes seem to line up well with mine.  As an outsider, did they make you pet the goat before letting you join them when making the pick?  Or, are you informally, considered an insider-outsider?

52 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

As an outsider, did they make you pet the goat before letting you join them when making the pick? 

I wish it was that easy............... 

Besides the fond memories of the actual pick I still have terrible goat related nightmares ? ? ?

• I like it 2

Dug deep behind some very nice Bourbon to find the last bottle I have of StraightBourbon.com Version 2, Heaven Hill Select Stock, Cognac Cask-finished Wheated Bourbon.   

Needed one solid pour to remind myself that I may still be able to retain (regain?) my sanity.    (Coulda been anything high-proof to 'get the job done', I suppose; but I wanted a really nice experience, besides a little buzz.)    ...Been spending 5 to 8-hours a day (3-trips usually) taking care of my Mom.    She's still living one her own in a 'senior apartment'; but shoudn't be any more.   We're trying deperately to get her into an assisted living facility.   ...Not at all an easy or quick thing to do during the current pandemic.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.