What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, BDanner said:

I really like the PLP. Per the owner, this is Dickel that didn't get the Lincoln County Process. His filtering through Hickory charcoal happens after it's batched and really imparts a nice subtle smokey/ashy flavor. I referred to it as "Murican Peat". t has the flavor I was kind of expecting/hoping for from WT Longbranch. I'd love to try their 8 or 12 year age stated, but they are a little pricey.

The 8 year I’ve gotten aren’t too bad, but the 12 is a bit on the pricey side.  This isn’t a go-to for me per se, but I do grab it when I’ve got an itch for something a little different.  I’ve heard before that these hadn’t been put through the sugar maple charcoal, but kind of blew it off as rumor.  If you heard it from Bringle I suppose that’s a good source. :D

• I like it 1

MM RC6 is what is in the glass tonight.  Fits the bill after a slow and boring day at work.

What more does a man need (at this time in history) for the ride home.... Bourbon and hand sanitizer. :D

577155FA-40F1-46BF-8049-69018FB032EF.thumb.jpeg.689552a79f6b846fe2da2359a90e2680.jpeg

Do not recall where this one came from but believe it was one of the fine gentlemen here, want to say thanks it's a nice one brown sugary goodness, thanks for improving my day!

y4mfvCp6dYe6m3pX-3V_eQSj8ZgWKaJt63MvXN3z

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

The 8 year I’ve gotten aren’t too bad, but the 12 is a bit on the pricey side.  This isn’t a go-to for me per se, but I do grab it when I’ve got an itch for something a little different.  I’ve heard before that these hadn’t been put through the sugar maple charcoal, but kind of blew it off as rumor.  If you heard it from Bringle I suppose that’s a good source. :D

Definitely a little different. I had to look it up again, but here is the quote from the interview. 

“Ours is a Tennessee straight bourbon. It’s not going through the Lincoln County process before it goes in the barrel. It’s distilled and aged in Tennessee, but what we do different is it’s kind of our take on a process like the Lincoln County process, but we take the bourbon and de-barrel it, then we filter it through hickory charcoal that I actually burn down in my pit at the front of my restaurant. We have a hickory charcoal finishing process that gives it our unique signature and flavor and taste.” This is from a 2016 interview with The Whiskey Wash.

• I like it 2

I'm heaven hill fan and always surpised with both consistency and inconsistency.  They always keep me guessing.  Years past Evan Williams SB inconsistent but 3 bottles last year were on target, good, much like old McKenna BIB.  So I bought 11 or 12 different bottles with different barrel numbers to do comparison, all 2011.  Just opened the 1st one.  Pretty good, very enjoyable.  I'm liking it much more than the 2011 McKenna BIB I have open.  Goes down easy, good flavor, light on expected after taste but it's there.  

Edited by B.B. Babington
  • I like it 1

Nice fat bottle kill pour of Old Forester 100. This has become a staple for me ever since it came back down to a reasonable price.

Celebrating my daughter’s bday! (Bday in the time of Corona)

Cheers from the North!

A722D1D7-F8BC-4C7C-8F75-EEB1BA37DD2D.jpeg

• I like it 8

47 minutes ago, DRAMachine said:

Cheers from the North!

One of the few books from my youth that I remember and still think about.  Excellent read.

36 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

One of the few books from my youth that I remember and still think about.  Excellent read.

Thanks radioyada! I hope my kid takes time to read it.

Been many years since last. Dry, nice sweetness, and nicely priced.
Cheers!

7BF22MN.jpg

Drinking Bourbon and posting on this forum is the only effective treatment that I have found for my Cabin Fever Derangement Syndrome. Anyone else suffering from this?

• I like it 1

Last night started off with a pour of DNR then I had a couple pours of Woodford Wheat whiskey. The wife wanted mexican for dinner so we got some take out and I made fresh margaritas to go along with dinner.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:03 PM, B.B. Babington said:

I'm heaven hill fan and always surpised with both consistency and inconsistency.  They always keep me guessing.  Years past Evan Williams SB inconsistent but 3 bottles last year were on target, good, much like old McKenna BIB.  So I bought 11 or 12 different bottles with different barrel numbers to do comparison, all 2011.  Just opened the 1st one.  Pretty good, very enjoyable.  I'm liking it much more than the 2011 McKenna BIB I have open.  Goes down easy, good flavor, light on expected after taste but it's there.  

I agree with you! As the EWSB kept getting younger I enjoyed it less and stopped buying it. Now it seems the ages are starting to creep back up and the quality is returning. Bought the first bottle I've had in several years a couple weeks ago (2012 Vintage) and I'm really enjoying it. It reminds me of one of my best HMcK10 bottles, just watered down (which makes sense due to the proof difference). Definitely putting this one back in the rotation now that HMcK10 has become hit & miss on both availability and profile.

14 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Been many years since last. Dry, nice sweetness, and nicely priced.
Cheers!

7BF22MN.jpg

One of my favorite ryes...and reasonably priced for a High West product.

• I like it 1

Drinking from my really good store pick giant ass bottle (1.75ml) of Eagle Rare tonight.  Yum!

0C91C9F6-F0D6-4B4E-AA18-4950C8C4AB85.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 4/15/2020 at 9:22 AM, DRAMachine said:

Cheers from the North!

Wow, nostalgia for me as well. One of my favorites as a child, with one of my favorites as an adult. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

Had some of this last night and again tonight during a virtual work happy hour. Pretty good for $22 plus shipping.

20200415_202607.jpg

• I like it 2

So decided to do a tasting with my wife today.  SHe has much better palate than I do from her wine tasting days and, frankly, I burned my nose years ago working in a microbiology lab.  We started with Stranahan, then moved to Smooth Ambler Big Level, followed by larceny, WIllet Pot still, Weller 12, Wodford double Oaked, Pappy 15, Bookers and Knob Creek.  Was a bit surprised that she preferred the Woodford and that Bookers.  This was a tasting so these were all  0.5 oz pours.   I enjoyed the time together  and learning her preferences.  She prefer big and tannic Cabs so maybe the Woodford wasn’t that much cf a surprise

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.