What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I broke my Lenten fast with some WT 101, along side a breakfast of blueberry pancakes and bacon. The bourbon was delicious, and so was the breakfast, and they went great together. Happy Easter everyone!

• I like it 4

last night saw my latest 2 pickups. a '19 WTKS pic followed by a '13 WT101. Been in a turkey mode; the WTKS was a fresh crack, very balanced, & looking forward to time with this. The 101 has been open a week, & is lotsa fruit & vanilla with little wood & only a bitbof spixebon the back, but great for a sweet tooth.

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

The Blanton's Gold was really excellent but I have to ration that bottle a bit because of the high price when I imported this bottle.

no kidding.

I thought it was expensive when I could do it legally.  Now it’s arguably almost not worth it.... and then I take a sip and sadly the gold just really does it for me.

I have (had, depending on how the bourbon economy is affected now)

great fears that the US release of gold (supposedly this year) will drive the tater prices even higher on this bottle, especially once the gouger museum stores get ahold of a bottle to display and public knowledge spreads about this bottle.

Once it crests a certain threshold, I’m just simply going to be out of the game financially.

29 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

last night saw my latest 2 pickups. a '19 WTKS pic followed by a '13 WT101. Been in a turkey mode; the WTKS was a fresh crack, very balanced, & looking forward to time with this. The 101 has been open a week, & is lotsa fruit & vanilla with little wood & only a bit of spixebon the back, but great for a sweet tooth.

OK.   Here; I'm sure I'm showing my naivete'... but, what is 'spixebon'?   ...Not a descriptor I've ever seen or heard before in my admittedly limited experience.   Help, please....

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

OK.   Here; I'm sure I'm showing my naivete'... but, what is 'spixebon'?   ...Not a descriptor I've ever seen or heard before in my admittedly limited experience.   Help, please....

Don't you know Rich? WT makes your fingers get a bit fatter, thus making typing a little more challenging 

Ever since enjoying Beam Distillers Cut, I decided to explore the Beam catalogue a bit more. 
First time for the Bonded (which was surprisingly difficult to find in my area) and Extra Age (took advantage of a $4 coupon).

While I didn’t expect to be blown away, I wasn’t disappointed with either for the price.

And since I’m bored, decided to vat the Extra Aged and Bonded together 50/50 in an old DC bottle to see what will happen.

2B689EB3-1F75-4A6B-A579-99A7774E3549.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Don't you know Rich? WT makes your fingers get a bit fatter, thus making typing a little more challenging 

yes, its commonly known as "turkey finger".

"spixebon" is a common euphemism in some parts for "spice on". or is it a eupgebidn?

On 4/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, mbroo5880i said:

My wife and I are disappointed.  We usually take a couple of trips each year to Bear Lake, Traverse City, Petosky.   We also like the Holland/South Haven area.  We usually take a trip in the April/May time frame and then again in mid-October.  

This is going to be a tough year for Michigan tourism.  

Yep I understand your disappointment. We normally take a trip to Petoskey then drive the tunnel of trees to Cross Village for a late lunch at Legg’s Inn. May be able to do that later this Summer but we will have to wait and see. You are absolutely correct that Michigan tourism will have a very tough year.  

Edited by StarSurfer55
Added content.

Going Texas this afternoon. I’ve been hard on Texas “bourbons/whiskeys” over the years, just can’t get enough age on them. BUT, I have found a few good ones, and they are so funky that it makes them extremely interesting. I will say that store picks really make the Texas whiskeys worthy of buying. 
3C053408-2DDB-4C9E-BA43-033133A75E89.thumb.jpeg.c81f852c79c053c8422eddb62a7228a4.jpeg
B9412A9B-A05A-42A9-A376-53A585673CF3.thumb.jpeg.76919b02911c3ce3dd0de4b3562d0c4e.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody

6 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I cannot imagine, no matter how hard I try... or how drunk I get ... having typing be more of a challenge for me, and my one good typing finger, than it already is.  ...And, that particular finger, fat and clumsy as it is, is the very best one I have for which to make the attempt.

I started with EC NAS, then SAOS 8 year Rye, then EC NAS.  I think I am done for the night.  Or, am I?  Time will tell.

Toasting all of you and celebrating this Easter with a large pour (bottle kill!) of Stagg ‘17. A fit holiday for the King of whiskey. 

• I like it 5

Easter weekend pours; Friday, Saturday but the cigar didn’t happen, then Easter pour last night.

E9A50AFF-7657-4918-AE17-DB95F0FBB210.jpeg

A03C83D3-46E4-4888-9372-3459CC332142.jpeg

D936A5C0-517A-4549-9C57-3FE8C6F44104.jpeg

• I like it 7

It was Easter so I figured it called for some of the nicer bottles.  Started with

DECADES.jpg.28d558673394183897c2eb7436731429.jpg

Then moved on to

94952120_OLDEAGLERARE.thumb.jpeg.c17a8a6c7a3f1fc259f38b93a2f33c57.jpeg

The older higher proof version of the ER is not as spicy as the newer version but seems to have more dark fruit on the palate.  Mouth feel is also more substantial than the 90 proof.

• I like it 11

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I started with EC NAS, then SAOS 8 year Rye, then EC NAS.  I think I am done for the night.  Or, am I?  Time will tell.

wait, is this three pours or three bottles you emptied?  I'm imagining the latter and you crawling home for something new to sample.

• I like it 1

Early Times BIB, haven't visited this one in awhile and its really hitting the spot. I need to reach for this more often, well done Brown Forman!!! In fact since I am

boycotting VOB BIB since Sazerac decided to drop the BiB designation, methinxkt this ETBIB is a more than suitable replacement.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 4

Jumped into a New Riff Single Barrel tonight and it is a huge improvement over their stock bourbon... Doesn’t taste nearly as young as it is... Have to think the extra $15 is easily worth it but still many better options at $55 in MI

• I like it 2

On 4/12/2020 at 1:06 AM, Kepler said:

How is that? I've been tempted to try that one but I've never actually pulled the trigger on a bottle.

If you enjoy Dickel I’d have a hard time believing you wouldn’t enjoy PLP.  The hickory note is in there, but it takes a back seat.  Doesn’t taste like it’s artificial to me.  

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

If you enjoy Dickel I’d have a hard time believing you wouldn’t enjoy PLP.  The hickory note is in there, but it takes a back seat.  Doesn’t taste like it’s artificial to me.  

I really like the PLP. Per the owner, this is Dickel that didn't get the Lincoln County Process. His filtering through Hickory charcoal happens after it's batched and really imparts a nice subtle smokey/ashy flavor. I referred to it as "Murican Peat". t has the flavor I was kind of expecting/hoping for from WT Longbranch. I'd love to try their 8 or 12 year age stated, but they are a little pricey.

• I like it 1

last night was a pour of HM 10yr. Today has started out with a RY 100pf, not sure what I will go to next but I will probably pour a barrel proof option later this evening once the kids are in bed.

What bourbon am I drinking today? Well pretty much anything I get my hands on. This high spirit consumption order we are under is suiting me just fine. Guess that's just how we roll. :)  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.