What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Blanton’s. “And that’s all I have to say about that. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Spending a pleasant evening marooned in springtime,  sipping a Baker's Small Batch.   I'm glad to see these bottles still around;  I never wanted to see the small batch replaced by single barrels.  Single barrels are often not what they're cracked to be;  this small batch is balanced, easy drinkin' at 107 proof.   I love the taste of good Jim Beam.     

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Thanks Joe! I've been wondering what bottle to open next and now I think it'll be either my 1997 or 1998 EWSB, both of which are from the good old days of 10yr whiskey.

I opened the 1997 bottle today forgetting that was the year after the fire at HH destroyed their facilities along with a number of rickhouses. IIRC they went to Beam for a bit before using BF for their distillate and it's kind of apparent with this bottle. Pretty sure this one is Beam. I let it sit for about 15 minutes before tasting and it's decent, but very thin. There's some cherry flavor that redeems things somewhat so I won't regret the purchase, but it's not what I was hoping for. Definitely a bourbon with a better nose (with a few drops of water) than taste or finish. I found this bottle at a store in a small Wisconsin town when I was there for a wedding in 2013, now I know why it was still on the shelf. Oh well, it happens.

EWSB 1997.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Blanton’s. “And that’s all I have to say about that. :P

Biba! Joe

Mind if I join ya? ?

10F5DC7D-5F09-437D-BBC3-27D68ADE39F4.jpeg

• I like it 1

Already had my gin and tonic ( for medicinal purposes).  Got out and split about a half cord of wood today’s day feeling it a bit now. Not to bad for a soon to be 65 year old with a pacemaker. Switched to a boulevardier made with BT

7E09EBFF-C912-42A2-8493-5EACF6FFF8E6.jpeg

68EEB5F0-7BD9-4F4E-95AE-DBEEB5FA6F9B.jpeg

Edited by StarSurfer55
Needed to add pics
  • I like it 5

Eagle Rare Old Fashioned.   Listening to John Prine and hoping he recovers.  Hope everyone has a good weekend.  Cheers.  

• I like it 4

As you can see I’m adhering to no gatherings larger than 5. This sweet bottle is just tonight’s start.

4CF8996F-9E57-493D-8249-15E81681DD17.jpeg

• I like it 9

I thought I would pull a couple older or difficult to replace bottles out of the bunker tonight.  The CEHT BP is Batch 3 (129.0).  I believe it is from 2014.  The Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye is an 8 year old 120.2 proof MGP Rye.  I believe it was from 2015.  

I am working on a very small pour of the CEHT BP right now.  It is very smooth, yet spicy but not too for the proof.  It has a nice oily mouthfeel with the oak, cherry, and burnt sugar notes that I enjoy with CEHT.  It is too bad I gave up sweet baked good for Lent.  This would be great with apple or cherry pie.   I always try a small taste of a BP straight so I can enjoy it at its full proof but I typically add a small drop of water or ice cube to bring the proof down a little before drinking.  However, I decided to enjoy this one neat (1/2 oz), then with a drop of water (1/2 oz), then neat again (1/2 oz), all in the interest in giving it a proper assessment.  The drop of water opened it up a little but didn't degrade the enjoyment.

20200403_192156.thumb.jpg.599b323b34789f63ec6da219c1343a8a.jpg20200403_192120.thumb.jpg.6d33293c6770a3b0d1681429fcb7e2e2.jpg  

• I like it 5

7 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

As you can see I’m adhering to no gatherings larger than 5. This sweet bottle is just tonight’s start.

4CF8996F-9E57-493D-8249-15E81681DD17.jpeg

Those steaks are huge.  I can't think of anything more enjoyable in a meal than steak and Four Roses.

• I like it 1

Still going on this RR10 year. It’s nice, but I think I’ve got the same issue as I did with OF SiB. Why pay $35 for a very nice 90pf pour when I can pay $20ish for a 100pf (Or 101) pour with slightly rougher edges but much more flavor? 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhh!    Happy to hear that at least an occasional bottle of EWSB can still be a nice pour.   It's been about 4-years, or close to that since I bought one.   Having been "burned" by 4 or 5 subpar bottles over two years, I had totally bailed on the brand.   Up here in The Mitten State, it con't be had for anything like $22, though.   Add $10 or more.   That's another reason I felt 'betrayed' when it went downhill.    I still have a few left from 'better-than-average' barrels . . . back when even average barrels were quite decent.   So, not sure I'll jump in yet; but I may....

I've bought two bottles of EWSB in the last few months.  The first was very nice - like smokinjoe said, controlled and balanced, with a nice light honey taste.  Very good, and I marked it as a definite re-buy. The second one is a bit of a disappointment - there's a flat, bitter taste at the end.  That taste has dissipated somewhat as the bottle aired, but still nowhere near as good as the last bottle.

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhh!    Happy to hear that at least an occasional bottle of EWSB can still be a nice pour.   It's been about 4-years, or close to that since I bought one.   Having been "burned" by 4 or 5 subpar bottles over two years, I had totally bailed on the brand.   Up here in The Mitten State, it con't be had for anything like $22, though.   Add $10 or more.   That's another reason I felt 'betrayed' when it went downhill.    I still have a few left from 'better-than-average' barrels . . . back when even average barrels were quite decent.   So, not sure I'll jump in yet; but I may....

This inspired me for my opening pour tonight.  Warming up with the 2006 EWSB that I have opened on the shelf.  It's always a great opening pour.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Still going on this RR10 year. It’s nice, but I think I’ve got the same issue as I did with OF SiB. Why pay $35 for a very nice 90pf pour when I can pay $20ish for a 100pf (Or 101) pour with slightly rougher edges but much more flavor? 

Because variety is the spice of life ?

• I like it 2

Continuing with the theme of drinking the good stuff during these extraordinary times, I pulled out the 4RLESmB 2016.

The GTS '17 is still on the deck so I may dip back into that.

• I like it 5

I'm gonna join in the fun here. I don't have a huge selection of "good stuff" to choose from like some/a lot of you guys, but I've got this. And it's pretty damn good. And considering I was supposed to be tagging along with @Vosgar for a Blanton's pick, it seemed appropriate. Cheers to all, and stay safe!

20200403_234609.jpg

• I like it 10

28 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

I'm gonna join in the fun here. I don't have a huge selection of "good stuff" to choose from like some/a lot of you guys, but I've got this. And it's pretty damn good. And considering I was supposed to be tagging along with @Vosgar for a Blanton's pick, it seemed appropriate. Cheers to all, and stay safe!

I would definitely classify that as "good stuff."  Well done sir.

• I like it 1

The EWSB 2006 was the perfect opener for me tonight.  Then I had a short pour of Fighting Cock 6 Year just to warm things up a little.   Next up has been some EC barrel proof batch #8.  Not sure yet if I'm going to try something different,  or just pour another one of these.  

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, JGriff said:

18130F3E-ABC8-4505-86E6-E16805BC2FE8.jpeg

Iced tea?B)

Oh yeah, why I here.  Heavy yard work for two days to take advantage of the nice weather.  Hence, I rewarded myself by sipping on a gift I got many months ago from GEETEN - ETL.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 5

After reading more of the VOB BIB thread, I decided to have some of my NAS VOB this afternoon. Either my wife is playing tricks and swapping out the contents in some of my open bottles or I'm just out of whack today. I'd have sworn I was drinking from my HH6BiB. Still very good, just not what I was expecting.

Apparently an off palate day and another reason why no one should ever pay attention to anything I say about what a whiskey tastes like ?

Murray Hill Club batch 13.

For the last few weeks my palate has been completely off and I’ve stuck with cheap beer. Tonight is the first time that things seem normal. It might be whitening mouthwash that I’ve been using.

After drinking scotch all afternoon, I switched up to EWBIB 

It really hits the spot, after all of  peaty Islay scotch.

Felt like a Turkey kinda night - starting off with some WTRB before leveling up with some WTMK Revival.  

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.