What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had ONE pour (I know! NOT Enough!) of Old Grand Dad BIB?       I will be sooooooo damned glad (relieved? ecstatic?) when I can again get stupid, if i wish to do so, on some Bourbon!     

(I was gonna type; ...on some good Bourbon, then I remembered, there is no 'bad' Bourbon, though (much like nookey) some is known to be better than others.

57 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Had ONE pour (I know! NOT Enough!) of Old Grand Dad BIB?       I will be sooooooo damned glad (relieved? ecstatic?) when I can again get stupid, if i wish to do so, on some Bourbon!     

(I was gonna type; ...on some good Bourbon, then I remembered, there is no 'bad' Bourbon, though (much like nookey) some is known to be better than others.

Hey Rich - Ain't it grand to remember the "good ole days" (kinda').   ☺️

• I like it 1

Opened up with a couple of 4R PS OESV pours. I have had this  bottle open for a while. One of my first 4R PS

It is a little on the spicy side. But an interesting pour. 

I'm probably going to stay with Four Roses House tonight. Maybe 

2016 or 2017 SmB.  Who knows maybe both.  ;-))

Cheers 

• I like it 1

I just did an informal SBS between a 2019 BT single barrel PS and the 4R SmB from 2013 that I just opened.

This BT store pick is the "oakiest"of any BT PS I've had before.  It's fairly close, but the Four Roses has more going on, plus a backbone fortified by noticeably older whiskey that just gives it the solid edge for me.

Edited by Kepler

22 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I just did an informal SBS between a 2019 BT single barrel PS and the 4R SmB from 2013 that I just opened.

This BT store pick is the "oakiest"of any BT PS I've had before.  It's fairly close, but the Four Roses has more going on, plus a backbone fortified by noticeably older whiskey that just gives it the solid edge for me.

Lawrenceburg Wins again!  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Buckeye82 said:

Opened a 2008 WLW tonight!

95118684_10159199962617079_5144911194682818560_n.jpg

You been sitting on that for 11 years?  Enjoy!

• I like it 3

Yep. I had to do it. Onto 2017 4R SmB. Tonight anyway, the 2016 is in the lead. It doesn't really matter, I'm just very happy to have a few different bottles to enjoy. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Made a big pan of lasagna last night and me, my son & the Missus polished off a bottle of Greg Norman Estates 2013 Shiraz. Had ordered some cookies from Kizito's Cookies in Louisville. A Snickerdoodle cookie goes very well with Knob Creek Cask Strength 9 y.o. Rye. After the KC I had some Pikesville Rye. It was good but the KC was clearly the winner.

6 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Made a big pan of lasagna last night and me, my son & the Missus polished off a bottle of Greg Norman Estates 2013 Shiraz. Had ordered some cookies from Kizito's Cookies in Louisville. A Snickerdoodle cookie goes very well with Knob Creek Cask Strength 9 y.o. Rye. After the KC I had some Pikesville Rye. It was good but the KC was clearly the winner.

I'm a big fan of the Norman Cab/Merlot blend.

Talk about irony...... out on the porch enjoying a cigar and some WTKS when this guy goes walking across my backyard

turkey.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 11

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I'm a big fan of the Norman Cab/Merlot blend.

This was my first bottle of Norman.  Safe to say it won't be my last.  I really like good wines, but after one sip of this one I was blown away.  Thanks for the heads up on the Cab/merlot blend.  I'll give it a look.

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Talk about irony...... out on the porch enjoying a cigar and some WTKS when this guy goes walking across my backyard

turkey.jpg

It's a message from Jimmy & Eddie Russell.  Go forth and purchase all the WT products you can find.  Listen to them.  They know of what they speak.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

It's a message from Jimmy & Eddie Russell.  Go forth and purchase all the WT products you can find.  Listen to them.  They know of what they speak.

I've got 4 different Turkey's open on the bar at the moment, might be time for a 5th

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

turkey.jpg

You should grab a glass of Eagle Rare and take a look

• I like it 3

A little blind SBS tonight, for science.  In one corner, we have a small batch select of Four Roses bourbon.  In the other corner, we have a, umm, small batch select of Four Roses bourbon...  Boy, are these close.  I really enjoy both, and that is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of the regular FRSmB.  

I love doing these blind, as it removes all bias.  I just nose, and taste, and try to come to some conclusion of a preference.  Tonight, I gave the nod to the Bulleit, but I am talking incrementally better.  Both excellent noses and flavor, but I found the Bulleit slightly more refined and a bit better to my palate.  Can’t go wrong with either IMHO.  But if you are a FR fan, and can be open to Bulleit and can pick this up, I’d recommend giving the Blenders’ Select a go.

7755FB8A-298A-4048-9ACC-6580A8F757BD.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 3

17 minutes ago, GrouchoM said:

You should grab a glass of Eagle Rare and take a look

Or some Buffalo Trace!

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Bourbon Ted said:

Makers Mark Cask Strength is a tough ol' broad.

20200426_004250.jpg

Right you are!  Sometimes she be a lady who is spicy and pleasing, other times she be a lady who is hot and burns your a**.   

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

54 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

A little blind SBS tonight, for science.  In one corner, we have a small batch select of Four Roses bourbon.  In the other corner, we have a, umm, small batch select of Four Roses bourbon...  Boy, are these close.  I really enjoy both, and that is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of the regular FRSmB.  

I love doing these blind, as it removes all bias.  I just nose, and taste, and try to come to some conclusion of a preference.  Tonight, I gave the nod to the Bulleit, but I am talking incrementally better.  Both excellent noses and flavor, but I found the Bulleit slightly more refined and a bit better to my palate.  Can’t go wrong with either IMHO.  But if you are a FR fan, and can be open to Bulleit and can pick this up, I’d recommend giving the Blenders’ Select a go.

7755FB8A-298A-4048-9ACC-6580A8F757BD.jpeg

Thanks for the review!  I really like the FR SBS.  I just enjoyed a nice pour.  I has a sweet floral profile that I believe makes it best to enjoy at a first pour or an after dinner pour when your palate is fresh.   I want  to try the Bulleit  Blenders' Select but haven't seen it in Indy yet.   The local Meijer is all about Bulleit as they seem to carry every release shortly after they become available so I suspect that is where I will find it.

't 

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I've got 4 different Turkey's open on the bar at the moment, might be time for a 5th

I am down with that.  Anything Turkey is a special event.

On 4/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, JGriff said:

Cheers y’all 

BE8DBAA2-2386-4777-B27C-9F0B6E71CB8D.jpeg

Personally, I find ETL to be average compared to Blanton's, RHF, AAA10 but I really enjoyed this one.   I had two bottles.  One that I enjoyed and the other I lost in the SB.Com Fantasy Football League.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.