What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, scratchline said:

Side-by-siding a couple of KC single barrels, a 12 year and a 14++ year.  I go back and forth on these.  They are both outstanding and very different.  The younger bottle has a brightness that washes over the entire palate.  It rings out like a bell.  The older is much deeper and darker.  The first is barnyard and the second is tackroom.  Neither one is over-woody to my taste.  Gorgeous whiskies, both.

Apologies for the frosted glasses.  I'm stuck in quarantine away from the finer things.   First World problems.

IMG_4522.thumb.jpg.61a7cbf52d61bf48220c2f8cf5dfeaa8.jpg

I don't know.......those glasses are amazing.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The old man went running today.  No soccer so I gotta do something.  I ran yesterday so I wasn't planning to run today.  Plus, it has been really windy lately.  I feel like I am swimming up stream.  Anyway, my motivation was if I run, I get to enjoy an early week pour.  It was such a difficult run one way that I decided I deserved two pours.  Of course, after running into the wind on the first leg and knowingly the wind would be in my back on the return route, the wind practically blew me home.

My pours were FRSBS and ECBP.  Hmmm...maybe I will go for a run again tomorrow.  Nah, its suppose rain.

I think the only thing worse than running into the wind is cycling into a stiff headwind. That's happened to me recently and I can assure you that I reward myself quite well after those rides!

Excellent choice going with the King.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, flahute said:

I think the only thing worse than running into the wind is cycling into a stiff headwind. That's happened to me recently and I can assure you that I reward myself quite well after those rides!

Excellent choice going with the King.

Ain't that the truth!!!!   I always found running (and especially biking) into the wind on the way out, then taking the wind at my back as a 'cool-down' on the way back is absolutely the way to go.   Besides the easing of effort, the higher turnover rate on tired legs seems to be a way to continue an effective workout, even while allowing the lactic acid to subside.   Just one man's experience and opinion, of course.   Ride On, my friend!

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Found out today that my wife and I are having another little girl. Cheers!

8A45AF89-D824-483A-A301-015A476D3ADB.jpeg

Congrats! Love that glass btw.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, smokinjoe said:

OF Statesman to start my weekend.  My first purchase of this bottle, but I remember enjoying it on previous tries.  It’s as good as I remember.  Beautiful mahogany color and a wonderful nose.  Lusciously thick, classic, top line, B-F whiskey, that hits all the right notes for me.  Too bad I’ve waited this long to pull the trigger on a bottle, but I see this one disappearing rapidly, and another replacing it.  

F0758243-AC95-476A-936E-C73EB6E9A62D.jpeg

We had 2 bottles of the Statesman left on the shelf at the store over the weekend .  Someone came in today and bought one, so I bought the other - $49.99 OTD.  Also grabbed the last WTRB 116.8 pf on the shelf for $42.99 OTD.  If I would have waited 'til I went back to work Friday, they prolly would have been gone, gone, gone.  Taking NO chances these days.   Thanks for the push, @smokinjoe.   ?

I'm hanging out on the side porch in the gloaming,  sipping a Statesman.    Not much left of this hero,  maybe two more pours.    

One thing I'll say about the Great Repression,  you sure do hear the birds at twilight a lot better.   It's truly silent out here,  nice atmosphere for sipping.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 2

I have been strong in the ways of the Lawrenceburg tribe the past week. Just finished off a standard 4RSiB that I opened last week. This is one that I went back to the store for to see if they had any others from the same barrel (and they did).

Opened a 10yr 1mo OBSF last night. Fantastic. About to kill a Bourbon Crusaders RRSiB. Going to go down the basement to bring up a WTRB so I can do that 50/50 blend of Amaro Nonino and RB that Marekv8 turned me on to.

Quarantine stinks but the drinking is good!

• I like it 4

So, I've been slowly working my way through this bottle, and it still sits as a solid, but overpriced, pour for me. One thing that I've noticed since opening that I didn't get on the first pour but have found on all the subsequent pours is a rather odd aroma on the nose. @Richnimrod, i believe you had asked about this. Still getting the typical bourbon notes, but on the nose I now get what I can only describe as damp or wet earth. Very strange and not exactly exciting, but I thought I'd mention it.

Peace

20200429_225144.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

So, I've been slowly working my way through this bottle, and it still sits as a solid, but overpriced, pour for me. One thing that I've noticed since opening that I didn't get on the first pour but have found on all the subsequent pours is a rather odd aroma on the nose. @Richnimrod, i believe you had asked about this. Still getting the typical bourbon notes, but on the nose I now get what I can only describe as damp or wet earth. Very strange and not exactly exciting, but I thought I'd mention it.

Peace

Does the descriptor  “musty” sound right Mike?  

Biba!  Uncle Doucé

9 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Does the descriptor  “musty” sound right Mike?  

Biba!  Uncle Doucé

I think that would be pretty accurate as well!

7 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

I think that would be pretty accurate as well!

Every once in a while........ ^_^

11 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Still getting the typical bourbon notes, but on the nose I now get what I can only describe as damp or wet earth. Very strange and not exactly exciting, but I thought I'd mention it.

“Aromas of delicate black mold, mixed with subtle memories of grandfather’s basement and 70’s fiberboard wood paneling”

?

• I like it 4

^^^^^^^^^That's definitely a house profile, but this is starting to sound a lot like a good rum!  Joe? :)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^^^^That's definitely a house profile, but this is starting to sound a lot like a good rum!  Joe? :)

??? ?

On 4/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, Vosgar said:

Sunday I posted this (along with a picture in an earlier post) after seeing a turkey walking across my backyard while I was drinking some WTKS. I'd never seen a turkey on our property in the 30 yrs since we built the house. Yesterday I saw him/her again, strutting across the lawn and this afternoon the damn bird was on my deck. Took that as the final hint needed to open that 5th bottle of WT. Wouldn't ya know, the f'ing cork broke. I don't know what kind of karma is floating around me, but I thought screw it, I'll deal with the bottle tomorrow and poured some Ritt DSP-354.

Got the broken cork out, ran the bourbon through a paper coffee filter, found an old cork that fits and am enjoying a pour of this fine whiskey tonight. Darn good Turkey

wt101.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 10

It’s been a very long week, and it ain’t even Friday yet. I’m having some Blanton’s this evening. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

We finished of the last of a Blanton's tonight. Moved on to a WSR PS that has that nice cinnamon red-hots on the finish in spades 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

We finished of the last of a Blanton's tonight. Moved on to a WSR PS that has that nice cinnamon red-hots on the finish in spades 

Wow! I just finished a Blanton’s too. I reckon I’ll follow your lead and move on to a WSR:D

I know we’re somewhat neighbors. I’m just not sure if it’s a bad thing or a good thing that we don’t live closer to one another. :huh:

Biba! Joe

25 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Wow! I just finished a Blanton’s too. I reckon I’ll follow your lead and move on to a WSR:D

I know we’re somewhat neighbors. I’m just not sure if it’s a bad thing or a good thing that we don’t live closer to one another. :huh:

Biba! Joe

STL is quite the haul. I'm not sure my liver would want to be any closer to someone with my same affliction...err...affinity.

• I like it 2

Social distancing drinking. Friend wanted to do a SBS of ‘18 and’19 GTS. I just happened to have some ‘17 so we did the three year vertical. 

Started with the Lot B. Meh, it’s certainly not a bad bourbon but nothing makes it stand out.  Not really sure it’s THAT much better than W12 or even a good value at the current $80 MSRP. If I was in charge I’d scrap it and replace with a 12 year single barrel 100 pf product.  Throwback to Weller Centennial and try to showcase how good a 12 year single barrel can be. 

Moved onto a healthy pour of 2019 ORVW.  This was the winner of the night for both of us. Everything was spot on, nose, palate, finish. A fantastic pour. We agreed I will save the rest for a blind. My friend will choose his top three W107 store picks and we will do a 4 pour blind to see how the ORVW holds up. 

Small pours of a WFP store pick (very good) and a 13.5 year WP MGP Rye before moving onto the Stagg.

The Staggs all had a great nose, hiding the actual proof with minimal ethanol. We did feel the ‘17 was the outlier but wondered if that had to do with air as it’s 20% full vs two freshly cracked bottles. The 2019 was the consensus winner. I had 2017 second due to a much longer finish with the 2018 third. All three were very good pours, but I admit I was not blown away by any of them. My friends order was 2019, 2018 with 2017 last. 

The cigar was a 2007 Bolivar Petite Corona, my first in almost a year and was fantastic. 

A great night followed by a less great morning. Not terrible, but that sluggish slow synapses  feeling and my morning workout keeps getting pushed back. 

961CEF68-BBFB-4E53-AC4C-CBCB02D19C49.jpeg

D36DEA69-EF1F-454C-9EBA-2494081F3FAB.jpeg

• I like it 6

Decided to try a Seelbach cocktail today. Very tasty. My new brunch cocktail. 

A5DF70C2-769F-4001-BB42-157A944DC558.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

The cigar was a 2007 Bolivar Petite Corona, my first in almost a year and was fantastic. 

D36DEA69-EF1F-454C-9EBA-2494081F3FAB.jpeg

Definitely was a great evening.  Love Cuban Bolivars!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.