What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Long day of yard work followed by another run on a windy day.  Started with a pour of FRSBS followed by a pour or two - I lost count - of ECBP C919.  Emptied the bottle while watching Cheers on Netflix.  Not sure how much was in it when I started but it is empty, that's all I am saying.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Long day of yard work followed by another run on a windy day.  Started with a pour of FRSBS followed by a pour or two - I lost count - of ECBP C919.  Emptied the bottle while watching Cheers on Netflix.  Not sure how much was in it when I started but it is empty, that's all I am saying.

I am also watching though cheers

2nd pour of the Barrell batch 22, while watching episode #3 of ESPN Films 'The Last Dance.'  Trying to catch up on this series.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Derby Day?  Isn't that in September this year?:blink:  Wash Post had an article about the guy who has the mint contract for the KDerby.  He has a couple tons on hand and no place to put it.  WE, on the other hand, have three or four scraggly sprigs in a pot on our deck.  WHAT will it be with the grilled ribeye tonight?  Mint Julep OR classic Manhattan?????  This being the "what bourbon" rather than the "what rye" thread, I think it'll be MJ with the bourbon TBD.

It’s sad isn’t it? I’m hoping to go in September still, if it happens. Many of the vendors and other people associated with the Derby will still hopefully make their money, just a few months later. It still sucks to mess with traditions.

Wish I was in Louisville right now with a nice pour. Truth be told though, most years I’m passed out by now on Derby day. But, I just sent our kids to bed and now it’s a little WLW to drown my Derby sorrows. 

• I like it 4

Enjoying a couple glasses of LB3 with ginger ale.  

Cheers

Oops. I posted in the wrong thread earlier. Had a couple of pours of my Weller Blend this evening. Followed that up with 2018 WLW.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I dropped the ginger ale. Now just LB3.  I enjoy this Bourbon. As I have said before, for me, it is a different pour almost every time I drink it. Tonight the KC is blending well with Booker's, without any notes of Basil's or Baker's. Other times, for me the components rise

singuarly. Bottom line, really good whiskey. If you like Beam & enjoy any of the small batch collection, pick one of these LB3 up. 

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Jfevre said:

Enjoyed some russell's reserve rye single barrel tonight.  

Impressions?  Say vs WT Rye 101 or the RR 6yr Rye?

Cheers

23 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Impressions?  Say vs WT Rye 101 or the RR 6yr Rye?

Cheers

I really enjoyed it. Vanilla sweet and nice rye spice with a nice chocolate note on the back end for me tonight. Compared to WT101 Rye and the 6yr I enjoy this a bit more. I think the age, added proof on the single barrel and being NCF makes it my go to rye if I am going rye turkey.  It really is a solid and under appreciated rye in my book. It makes me not feel the need to have the 6yr on shelf being a similar/same age, higher proof, and NCF. The WT101 rye I still have but I find myself reaching for my old forester rye if I am reaching for my bargain rye to mix or drink neat.  Cheers. 

Edited by Jfevre

24 minutes ago, Jfevre said:

I really enjoyed it. Vanilla sweet and nice rye spice with a nice chocolate note on the back end for me tonight. Compared to WT101 Rye and the 6yr I enjoy this a bit more. I think the age, added proof on the single barrel and being NCF makes it my go to rye if I am going rye turkey.  It really is a solid and under appreciated rye in my book. It makes me not feel the need to have the 6yr on shelf being a similar/same age, higher proof, and NCF. The WT101 rye I still have but I find myself reaching for my old forester rye if I am reaching for my bargain rye to mix or drink neat.  Cheers. 

Thank you for a descriptive reply. 

I have tried the RR 6yr Rye & 101. I like both, with the 6yr ahead. I like the OF Rye also, but I think it resembles a bourbon. 

It sounds like my next Rye purchase will be the RRSiB Rye. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Changing it up a bit. Now onto WTKS 2002. Old world Turkey. 

Cheers

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a small pour of a ps EC. I’m really having a bit of a tough time trying to get a handle on this one. I opened it a couple of nights ago and had a pour. It was corny, nutty, and dry/tannic. It’s a little better this evening, but not much. A little les dry and tannic. A vegetal nose and taste is now very noticeable. ? I’m not giving up on this one yet. I’m gonna let it sit a good while before trying it again.

FWIW, the manager at this store has a pretty good palate, and has picked some wonderful barrels over the years. That’s the biggest reason I’m giving this one another chance. I’ve never had a “bad” barrel pick from this store. A few have been fair, some good, but most have been very good to excellent. Time will tell I guess. Besides, you can’t win ‘em all.  ;)

I do foresee some Weller in my future later on tonight. :P

Biba! Joe

What's the age on that one Joe? Your description is what I get with EC that's too young.

17 hours ago, GaryT said:

Started with a lovely older OBSV pick (2014-ish, not very old - 9 yrs 3 mo, but one of the lower proof FRSBs I've had at 105.6).  Just delightful - like cotton candy with a drizzle of caramel.

Struck me that I should be making a mint julep, but then noticed the wife's Mojito cravings have been insatiable - and I risk bodily harm by using what little mint is left (happy wife, happy life - pretty sure I read that somewhere).  

So decided to reach for something else I hadn't had in a while, and landed on some JPS 18yr.  I thought this was very good whiskey when I bought it (but thought it maybe a bit overly hyped at the time).  Maybe the stars are just aligned tonight, but this is coming across as amazing.  Fudge turtle brownies served in a rickhouse with a solid dose of oak.  

Cheers SB! 

IMG_20200502_185209.thumb.jpg.482d0de9863c8140a59e646ab21308a3.jpg

Cotton candy with a drizzle of caramel - that's what I get from the OBSV's that I like the best. Sometimes I get too much mint and I don't like those barrels as much. When I get one like you describe I buy as many as I can find (whether it's a PS or just the 100 proof) as they are darn near close to my ideal bourbon.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

First seasonal pour from the garage freezer 4RYL just so happens to be the last of this big fella. Now I'm on the back porch listening to music and enjoying some alone time. 

20200502_205552.jpg

20200502_210048.jpg

Still too cold here for the freezer bottle but our deck is well on its way to being prepped for the summer and I just bought a fire pit so I'm getting ready.

• I like it 2

On 5/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, GaryT said:

Started with a lovely older OBSV pick (2014-ish, not very old - 9 yrs 3 mo, but one of the lower proof FRSBs I've had at 105.6).  Just delightful - like cotton candy with a drizzle of caramel.

Struck me that I should be making a mint julep, but then noticed the wife's Mojito cravings have been insatiable - and I risk bodily harm by using what little mint is left (happy wife, happy life - pretty sure I read that somewhere).  

So decided to reach for something else I hadn't had in a while, and landed on some JPS 18yr.  I thought this was very good whiskey when I bought it (but thought it maybe a bit overly hyped at the time).  Maybe the stars are just aligned tonight, but this is coming across as amazing.  Fudge turtle brownies served in a rickhouse with a solid dose of oak.  

Cheers SB! 

IMG_20200502_185209.thumb.jpg.482d0de9863c8140a59e646ab21308a3.jpg

The JPS18 I've had was a PS barrel. It is probably in my top 2 or 3 pours of all time!  Fudge turtle brownies with hot buttered popcorn inside a rickhouse! Yesss!

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

I moved on from some HH6/90 to a tube of EW SB from my last HH sample pack. I bought a bunch when they went on sale for $15 and then even more when they dropped to $10. Gave a couple away as gifts. The EC Small Batch in those sample box tubes was some of the best I've had. This EW SB is solid. I don't remember the vintage.   It was slightly sweeter, "deeper", and a LOT nuttier than the HH6.

20200503_233913.jpg

• I like it 1

So any thoughts from the group on the bourbon to drink on Star Wars day today?

8 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Nice question. I grew up a big SW fan, but I never did anything to celebrate May the 4th in the past. Since I have a dent home theater setup I dont watch any movies in theaters. I've managed to get by the time episodes 7 and 8 hit theaters to my home screen with basically no spoilers. Thankfully I can say the same with ep 9. I decided to wait till it hit Disney+ (which is today) so I could watch it in Dolby Vision with Atmos sound and not have to pay anything. Anyway, back to the bourbon part of the post.

I'm thinking something very tasty that's a lower proof. The movie is about 2.5 hours long, so I'll have no fewer than 2 pours. I want my mind to not be foggy by the end, so how about some EC12. The only significance I can draw from it is: 94 proof. Episode 9, and May 4.

Yeah, it's quite a stretch. 

Something with a 56.9% ABV could work…

willett.thumb.jpg.29cfd8f9d85f8804aaf1c7ddba3dd5fe.jpg

31 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Should be obvious.... not bourbon but something from the dark side ?. I'm thinking along the lines of a heavily peated Islay whisky.

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 4

Good point but I was trying to stay on the light side. I was think in maybe something like Basil Hayden’s. 

24 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Nice question. I grew up a big SW fan, but I never did anything to celebrate May the 4th in the past. Since I have a dent home theater setup I dont watch any movies in theaters. I've managed to get by the time episodes 7 and 8 hit theaters to my home screen with basically no spoilers. Thankfully I can say the same with ep 9. I decided to wait till it hit Disney+ (which is today) so I could watch it in Dolby Vision with Atmos sound and not have to pay anything. Anyway, back to the bourbon part of the post.

I'm thinking something very tasty that's a lower proof. The movie is about 2.5 hours long, so I'll have no fewer than 2 pours. I want my mind to not be foggy by the end, so how about some EC12. The only significance I can draw from it is: 94 proof. Episode 9, and May 4.

Yeah, it's quite a stretch. 

13 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Should be obvious.... not bourbon but something from the dark side ?. I'm thinking along the lines of a heavily peated Islay whisky.

“You’re killin’ me Smalls!”  First you two, and now my granddaughter is making sure that I know they have Disney+ at their house.  ?   Sheesh!

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.