Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

Recommended Posts

fosmith
20 hours ago, parksmart said:

Surprised to see WTKS SB at a local Costco today.  Picked up bottles for myself and @fosmith

Thank you my friend!  For some reason, I've never tried Kentucky Spirit.  The fact that it's usually $60+ and basically single barrel WT has kept me away.  Too other great bourbons at that price point.  But at <$50, it's worth a try...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
12 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

UUUGGGHHHHHH!    An "in-yer-face" visual reminder of just how ugly the current WTKS bottles are!     I miss the 'tail fan' bottles so much every time I see these 'new, improved' ones.     Yechhh!

I don't mind the bottle although the old one was much prettier.  But I think they could have done a better job with the label.  Rare Breed is the same bottle but somehow looks so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
46 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Thank you my friend!  For some reason, I've never tried Kentucky Spirit.  The fact that it's usually $60+ and basically single barrel WT has kept me away.  Too other great bourbons at that price point.  But at <$50, it's worth a try...

If I’m interpreting these posts correctly I very much enjoy that Parksmart hooked you up AND that you only learned about it on this forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
parksmart
4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

If I’m interpreting these posts correctly I very much enjoy that Parksmart hooked you up AND that you only learned about it on this forum. 

While I definitely enjoy finding and sharing bottles, Fred certainly pre-approves the purchases I make on his behalf....... 😁

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postal Grunt

I picked up a 1.75L bottle of KC at Costco this morning. It has the old style label with no age statement on it. The new style label has been in liquor stores in the KC area for months now. At one time, I thought Costco was buying the KC by the truckload. Now I suspect that they bought a warehouse or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
parksmart

Been tempted for months by some bottles of Wild Turkey Bourbon Liqueur from the late 70s/early 80s at my dusty honey hole.  Decided to finally pull the trigger and get a couple bottles.  Waiting for when this dang COVID-19 recedes to the point where it’s safe to meet up with some local SB’ers, and share this with them.

 

Too tired to post some pics.  Will do so tomorrow.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, parksmart said:

Been tempted for months by some bottles of Wild Turkey Bourbon Liqueur from the late 70s/early 80s at my dusty honey hole.  Decided to finally pull the trigger and get a couple bottles.  Waiting for when this dang COVID-19 recedes to the point where it’s safe to meet up with some local SB’ers, and share this with them.

 

Too tired to post some pics.  Will do so tomorrow.

Ahhhhh, the 'forerunner' of so many 'flavored' varieties now available.   I actually thought this was pretty good, back when I bought 2 or 3-bottles over a period of several years.    I'd pour a small serving and sip it neat once in a while, but mostly I found it a nice "quickie" way to make a fake Old Fashioned by adding an ounce or so to a couple ounces of WT101, and shaking a few squirts of Angostura bitters into the mix.    I was bummed when it disappeared.   I don't think any of the current 'honey' Bourbons are near as well-made (at least to my taste buddies) as WTBL used to be.    I don't suppose I've tasted 'em, though.    I have tried at least 3; from Beam, WT, and EW, and none are that good.    I'm a little jealous, parksmart.   Enjoy!!!!!

Edited by Richnimrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich
8 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I picked up a 1.75L bottle of KC at Costco this morning. It has the old style label with no age statement on it. The new style label has been in liquor stores in the KC area for months now. At one time, I thought Costco was buying the KC by the truckload. Now I suspect that they bought a warehouse or two.

When you think how many Costcos there are in the US (500+) they a couple of warehouse of KC sounds about right. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam777
17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cool. I bought a MMCS on sale in my area for the same price a while back. I haven’t cracked it yet. I sure hope mine is as good as how you’ve described yours.:P
 

Is the Maker’s PS you mentioned  a regular MM, MMCS, or MM 46? Just wondered. Thanks.

 

Biba! Joe

Here they are. What is your professional opinion on these?1BC8743D-4BD8-4695-98B7-8AA2E50EAC25.thumb.jpeg.d4b9d49e33128f307689d1d0ad146ddb.jpeg

7817AE7B-8EC7-4621-BECD-16CF2269DCE5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
2 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Here they are. What is your professional opinion on these?

 

It doesn't matter what our opinions are, they certainly wouldn't be "professional" anyhow :D  I hope you enjoy them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
15 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

If I’m interpreting these posts correctly I very much enjoy that Parksmart hooked you up AND that you only learned about it on this forum. 

No, that would be something, though.  Gene, who I met through this forum, lives ~15 minutes from me and we've gotten together to share bourbon a couple of times.  He's a master bourbon sleuth and generously texts me when he finds something good.  I've only been able to return the favor a couple of times and I honestly don't know how he manages to find so many gems in an area as picked over as is the SF Bay area...

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kcgumbohead
On 5/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, Richnimrod said:

UUUGGGHHHHHH!    An "in-yer-face" visual reminder of just how ugly the current WTKS bottles are!     I miss the 'tail fan' bottles so much every time I see these 'new, improved' ones.     Yechhh!

Those new bottles are FUGLY, a total misstep. The only reason for the inflated price of KS was to justify that fan tail bottle, finding them at COSTCO though likely means they were a bit more reasonable. I miss CA COSTCO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geclbxf
10 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Here they are. What is your professional opinion on these?1BC8743D-4BD8-4695-98B7-8AA2E50EAC25.thumb.jpeg.d4b9d49e33128f307689d1d0ad146ddb.jpeg

7817AE7B-8EC7-4621-BECD-16CF2269DCE5.jpeg

Ohio released three others as well - for a total of 5 that are available all over the state of Ohio.   I bought and tried the Toffee Almond and was impressed.   Very rich and baking spice forward, more of a winter drinking bourbon.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 5/19/2020 at 7:09 PM, parksmart said:

Surprised to see WTKS SB at a local Costco today.  Picked up bottles for myself and @fosmith

 

 

B9D9B5AD-316F-4D1B-9571-AECAC44A69E6.jpeg

@parksmart, would you mind PMing me about which Costco you found these at? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
parksmart
35 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@parksmart, would you mind PMing me about which Costco you found these at? 

 

PM sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
parksmart
13 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhhhh, the 'forerunner' of so many 'flavored' varieties now available.   I actually thought this was pretty good, back when I bought 2 or 3-bottles over a period of several years.    I'd pour a small serving and sip it neat once in a while, but mostly I found it a nice "quickie" way to make a fake Old Fashioned by adding an ounce or so to a couple ounces of WT101, and shaking a few squirts of Angostura bitters into the mix.    I was bummed when it disappeared.   I don't think any of the current 'honey' Bourbons are near as well-made (at least to my taste buddies) as WTBL used to be.    I don't suppose I've tasted 'em, though.    I have tried at least 3; from Beam, WT, and EW, and none are that good.    I'm a little jealous, parksmart.   Enjoy!!!!!

Awesome perspective.  Hope this doesn’t make you too wistful!

 

59F5A4AB-BFD6-46B0-A5D9-C579C507681A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
2 hours ago, parksmart said:

Awesome perspective.  Hope this doesn’t make you too wistful!

 

59F5A4AB-BFD6-46B0-A5D9-C579C507681A.jpeg

I didn't even know this stuff existed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
8 hours ago, parksmart said:

Awesome perspective.  Hope this doesn’t make you too wistful!

 

59F5A4AB-BFD6-46B0-A5D9-C579C507681A.jpeg

Just to be sure it still tastes the same, I think you should send me bottle.... for testing and stuff, ya' know?  😉😜     PM me, and we'll exchange addresses and such, eh?  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTStagg

Picked up a Larceny Barrel Proof B520 today. Looking forward to popping it and comparing to the only other BP wheater on my shelf, WLW.

20200522_144753.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779

Took advantage of a sale on WTRB before the end of the month comes.

 

304747AE-E6D5-4FF7-AF0D-567DF2D708B5.jpeg

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not_That_Fancy

Picked these up passing through Phoenix today. Also grab a few BT 1.75’s at 39.99

08373333-68D8-4E90-B066-289246D371CB.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mattk
1 hour ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Picked these up passing through Phoenix today. Also grab a few BT 1.75’s at 39.99

08373333-68D8-4E90-B066-289246D371CB.jpeg

I'm jealous of that little book ch2 at $100 cheapest I've got one for was $110 in Maryland. I sure love seeing them though, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i
6 hours ago, GTStagg said:

Picked up a Larceny Barrel Proof B520 today. Looking forward to popping it and comparing to the only other BP wheater on my shelf, WLW.

20200522_144753.jpg

Just curious, if you have had the standard Larceny, how this one compares?  I have had several bottles of the standard Larceny with each being worse than the last. I doubt I will ever buy another.  However, I have heard good things about the Barrel Proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BurnsSoGood

CF1D7702-0F09-4FC6-BDC2-F521AADD4511.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious, if you have had the standard Larceny, how this one compares?  I have had several bottles of the standard Larceny with each being worse than the last. I doubt I will ever buy another.  However, I have heard good things about the Barrel Proof.

You didn't ask me but I'll tell you about my experience.

Like you, the regular Larceny just does not work for me. It's foul. I heard good things, like you, about BP so I gave it a shot.

Long story short, sometimes it was good, many times it had the same funk as regular. It was never great. I was down to the last 4-5 ounces, tried some, got the foul funk and decided I was done and poured the rest down the drain.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.