What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife sent me to the store for hand sanitizer.  This is all I could find.

20200504_190456.jpg

20200504_190501.jpg

• I like it 12

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My wife sent me to the store for hand sanitizer.  This is all I could find.

20200504_190456.jpg

20200504_190501.jpg

But, hey I bought her this.  The liquor manager said it is the best $5 bottle of wine they have.  She better appreciate it.

20200504_191246.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

But, hey I bought her this.  The liquor manager said it is the best $5 bottle of wine they have.  She better appreciate it.

20200504_191246.jpg

Barefoot makes a great super cheap champagne. It's our favorite for a French 75.

• I like it 1

Picked these up over the last couple days. I just couldn't pass up the Bardstown -- cask strength 12 year MGP bourbon finished in Armagnac barrels.  The Archives were like Pokemon to me -- had to catch them all . . .

IMG_4288.thumb.JPG.a9f7c5ea5b50fc1defb79acbf04e7ed2.JPG

• I like it 3

My LLS owner with the golden palette has brought in the first two Bulleitt single barrel bourbon selections in CT. I got one of each at $60 a bottle.  Thought it was a steal for Rutledge whiskey until I noticed the 104 proof. He says they are fantastic and I have no doubts. 

The new 14 year old KC SiB selection is another short barrel. Took two of those as well since I missed out on,the last one. 

My first whiskey purchased since Friday the 13th when corona hit the fan. 

VOB 100, I have a hard time passing it up at 15.99/750ml

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, TehRegion219 said:

VOB 100, I have a hard time passing it up at 15.99/750ml

It's a nice one for sure. I need to buy a few. 

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Barefoot makes a great super cheap champagne. It's our favorite for a French 75.

She actually uses it to cook.  She likes wines from Northern Michigan (e.g., Leelanau and Black Star) and Kentucky (Purple Toad).  Southern Indiana and Kentucky are home to some great wineries due to the limestone deposits.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

She actually uses it to cook.  She likes wines from Northern Michigan (e.g., Leelanau and Black Star) and Kentucky (Purple Toad).  Southern Indiana and Kentucky are home to some great wineries due to the limestone deposits.

This forum is a wealth of information.

Traded a couple EHT SB for a 4R SP then went a grabbed a Mayor Pingree and a EHT SB to compensate the trade. Not a terrible day but not a ton of great options in West MI

Early hours senior shopping this morning. :mellow: I'll bypass all my normal commentary, other than to say it was still a pain in the a**.  ? I saw that they had Larceny on sale for $19.99. I wasn't sure if I really wanted a bottle of this or not because my last couple of bottles were "mehhh" at best. I know that a number of folks here like it, and have posted good comments. I took that into consideration. For $20.00, I figured I'd go ahead and give Larceny one more chance. If this bottle isn't up to snuff though, I swear I won't buy another bottle. ? 

Biba! Joe

3DCA679E-9B58-4954-B3F4-D6C04F9239A4_1_105_c copy.jpg

• I like it 1

I went to grab some cabin whiskey (often mixed, leave it there so I don’t want to care if my brothers or friends drink it, inexpensive in general). Looked for handles, saw the EWB for $19.99 which is normal. Then saw the EW1783 for $29.99 which is something I never buy so continuing on.... Then saw EWBIB for.... $19.99. How do they have that for the same price as the EWB and a third cheaper than the 1783? I don’t know, but I grabbed 3 of the 4 that were on the shelf

• I like it 4

Order arrived today!!! 

I’m not a die hard Blantons fan. You know the folks I’m talking about. I do however like to have some different bottles to enjoy with my friends who are. Figured they don’t look half bad on the shelf either. 

38BA0BAA-AD3C-4A21-B0FB-7781AFDBA72F.jpeg

• I like it 7

With some encouragement from the forum... I added the JDSBBP to today’s purchase. I’m not a hoarder just for those who may think that... it will be gone in a month with my work buddies and gifts. 

8D1E7150-070B-4FEA-B20B-49EF239A97F7.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

With some encouragement from the forum... I added the JDSBBP to today’s purchase. I’m not a hoarder just for those who may think that... it will be gone in a month with my work buddies and gifts. 

8D1E7150-070B-4FEA-B20B-49EF239A97F7.jpeg

Well, what do you think of it?

9 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Order arrived today!!! 

I’m not a die hard Blantons fan. You know the folks I’m talking about. I do however like to have some different bottles to enjoy with my friends who are. Figured they don’t look half bad on the shelf either. 

38BA0BAA-AD3C-4A21-B0FB-7781AFDBA72F.jpeg

yeah, don’t waste your time opening that green label, just put it on display and call it a loss.

?

• I like it 3

34 minutes ago, 0895 said:

yeah, don’t waste your time opening that green label, just put it on display and call it a loss.

?

If you end up not liking the green label, you might consider using it to bring down the proof of the SFTB if that one's a little too hot

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Vosgar said:

If you end up not liking the green label, you might consider using it to bring down the proof of the SFTB if that one's a little too hot

This is why you’re the sensei, and I am the grasshopper...

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

Well, what do you think of it?

Had two pours last night and was not disappointed in either!

Room temp and let it sit for 5 minutes. Was lighter on feel than what I was expecting from a dark BP from JD. Smooth like I licked a spoon after browning butter and sugar. That lingered for a few seconds until the charred classic oak of JD came through paired with a spicey tobacco finish and some bitter dark chocolate. 

I’ve really begun to appreciate the depth of flavors I find in BPs. This one is unique from what I have opened on the shelf and I can attest to what others have said... well worth it and not disappointed at all! 

• I like it 2

32 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Had two pours last night and was not disappointed in either!

Room temp and let it sit for 5 minutes. Was lighter on feel than what I was expecting from a dark BP from JD. Smooth like I licked a spoon after browning butter and sugar. That lingered for a few seconds until the charred classic oak of JD came through paired with a spicey tobacco finish and some bitter dark chocolate. 

I’ve really begun to appreciate the depth of flavors I find in BPs. This one is unique from what I have opened on the shelf and I can attest to what others have said... well worth it and not disappointed at all! 

To me JDSIBBP is the most sneaky (lack of heat) ~130 proof bottle there is. If I could find it for $45 I'd go though them relatively quickly.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

To me JDSIBBP is the most sneaky (lack of heat) ~130 proof bottle there is. If I could find it for $45 I'd go though them relatively quickly.

That is a helluva price. I paid more than that for the export only (discontinued?) Jack Daniels Silver Select that Vosgar kindly picked up for me a few years ago. 

Biba! Joe

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:54 AM, smokinjoe said:

I have a bottle that is about the hottest whiskey I’ve had in some time (15L21). Some nice flavors, but the heat on it is almost unbearable.  Truly fire water.  Surprising to me as it is a pretty low proof BP.  

Thanks for heads up. I sure hope my bottle isn't that one.

Ended up with a Isaac Bowman Port (38.99) and a Jack Daniels SiB Select store pick (44.99), never had either and hoping they drink well for me. 

Edited by M777

Pennsylvania is likely the worst place in the country to be these days for a bourbon drinker.   For most of the pandemic it's been outright Prohibition,  and lately King Wolf has relented and allowed curbside pick up at a State store IF you order and pay a day in advance.   Thank you for your kindness towards your subjects as we sacrifice our jobs and prosperity at your order.  

But I found out yesterday there's a loophole - you can still walk up to a distillery and pay cash for a bottle.   Driving home from Pennsylvania Dutch country,  we took the back road and  came upon a surprise -  the Brandywine Branch Distillery,  housed in a big barn not too from Valley Forge.  Never heard of it,  but I had to check it out.   I couldn't get much information from the guy tending to the stills -  he said,  yeah,  he was bottling some bourbon that morning,  go around to a side window to purchase a bottle.  

I still don't know much about this stuff.  Their bourbon is called "Resurgent" and comes in a couple of varieties.   I went for the straight (four years plus), 100-proof "Custom Cask" which the gal at the counter said was the choice for sipping.    They clearly didn't distill this themselves,  although they ARE distilling whiskey and declined to be transparent about the provenance of the Custom Cask.    Still,  I had to invest in a bottle , if only for the novelty of being able to freely buy a bottle of booze in my home state.   Fifty bucks.

Turns out it is apparently distilled in Kentucky from a "specially designed mash bill" and is delicious.   If I were tasting this blind I would guessed Wild Turkey though I assume that's very unlikely as the source.   Still,  it has the round vanilla and rye spice character of Turkey,  and tasting is believing.   This is worth the price,  and I'll likely buy another.   

Edited by Jazzhead

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Pennsylvania is likely the worst place in the country to be these days for a bourbon drinker.   For most of the pandemic it's been outright Prohibition,  and lately King Wolf has relented and allowed curbside pick up at a State store IF you order and pay a day in advance.   Thank you for your kindness towards your subjects as we sacrifice our jobs and prosperity at your order.  

Seems Orwell warned us of this with his epic 1949 book. Good news it took 70+ years for government to tell us if we are allowed to leave the house, work, socialize....and, don't get me started. :) 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.