What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found a second ECBP a120 so I grabbed it and will be opening the other one sometime soon

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

Found a second ECBP a120 so I grabbed it and will be opening the other one sometime soon

I picked up two today myself.  $59.99 each, not a question in my mind.  Headed to the bunker behind the open one.

• I like it 1

In Tucson for work this week. Made my rounds to the local stores and picked up a few different store picks. On a whim this evening I stopped at a place that didn’t fit into the normal category of stores that I stop at. Drive thru, painted purple, and the huge front sign said “we sell CBD oil” with bars in the windows. 

Took a lap around the 3 isles and nothing caught my eye... that was until I passed the register on my way out. Hidden behind what seemed to be 50 Hennessey bottles was a dust covered ETL. First one I’ve found out in a store so I couldn’t pass even if I over paid $99.99

DDF6C9D7-622D-4B51-837E-6F938AD29FCC.jpeg

Edited by Not_That_Fancy
  • I like it 3

A bottle of the outgoing Jim Beam Single Barrel 95 proof. I'm going to assume that I got a less than stellar barrel.

I've seen the TTB filing for the WT BIB 17 year, but seeing today's picture of the bottle got me excited. So to itch a turkey scratch...

20200514_204953.jpg

• I like it 3

Picked up a couple bottles of Larceny BP for whenever it’s safe enough to catch up with @fosmith

776900D4-6A49-4D7A-B9F2-014B164DF0E2.jpeg

10 hours ago, parksmart said:

Picked up a couple bottles of Larceny BP for whenever it’s safe enough to catch up with @fosmith

Many thanks @parksmart! Looking forward to socializing and sharing bourbon instead of social distancing...

11 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I've seen the TTB filing for the WT BIB 17 year, but seeing today's picture of the bottle got me excited. So to itch a turkey scratch...

20200514_204953.jpg

It’s interesting to me that it took almost two months to get bottled after dumping according to the label.

Where / Why does the liquid sit in limbo?

would this be to proof it down and filter it (although I believe RR is NCF)

I know how 4R works, but I don’t think they’re sitting on dumped single barrel for 2 months.

I get that the holidays were in there too...

@flahute ?

or someone else with the knowledge?

Edited by 0895

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

It’s interesting to me that it took almost two months to get bottled after dumping according to the label.

I know how 4R works, but I don’t think they’re sitting on dumped single barrel for 2 months.

@flahute ?

You read my mind....had this same exact question when I saw the label.  Don't get me wrong, kudos to WT for starting to share this info, I LOVE WILD TURKEY!  Just curious as to where a single barrel's worth of liquid is sitting for 2 months after dumping/prior to bottling.

I'm seeing a distillation date of 11/09 on a TON of Russell's picks lately.  Is this some of the last distillate from the old distillery?  Didn't they start tearing it down in 2010?

I'm liking the HH 7 year BIB I bought yesterday. I remember the days of the $10 6 year BIB, so at $40 this was a tough sell but after a few pours I'm confident that they have done a great job selecting the right barrels for this product.

20200515_152103.jpg.274edd723d38d592fc5bd97222055ff2.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked up a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and a Standard Old Forester Single Barrel store picks today.  Both were cracked at a social distancing lunch beer with a friend and he poured off a sample of each for later.  I will be circling back tonight after the work week ends.  Fingers crossed one of them is a home run so I can go back for more!

2 handles for mixing, one of OGD and another of HMcK.  

With all the great recommendations I've read lately, and with my LLS having it on sale for $47.99, thought I'd pick up a bottle. Looking forward to

trying it!

IMG_0071.jpg

• I like it 9

I tried my best to pass on the Larceny, but he made me an offer I couldn't refuse…

IMG_4523.thumb.jpg.3b2d617d5e7116ca4bfc1ca2852855d8.jpg

• I like it 2

The pick we did of Woodford Reserve for the local monger finally came in this week.    I picked up the bottle the owner 'comped' me today, along with a bottle of Old Ezra SB.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

@flahute ?

There's been some discussion about this in the Turkey groups and one theory was that Eddie doesn't like to risk profile change so he dumps them not long after the pick.

However, my group just got a pick in and ours sat in the barrel for 2 1/2 more months and was only tanked for 3 weeks so I don't really know if there's any rhyme or reason behind it. It might just be a function of tank space coming available combined with barrel picks fitting into the larger bottling schedule.

• I like it 1

Nothing spectacular, but it's everything I like or haven't tried yet. (Woodinville) 

0516201851-1.jpg

• I like it 3

Haven't seen one of these on the shelf for a while-- even the Small Batch seems to get immediately shelf-cleared. At sixty bucks and consistently very well done, it remains one of the few BT products I actively seek out.

IMG_4532.thumb.jpg.fa634e63ea70a381450677437f8feb0a.jpg

• I like it 6

2 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Haven't seen one of these on the shelf for a while-- even the Small Batch seems to get immediately shelf-cleared. At sixty bucks and consistently very well done, it remains one of the few BT products I actively seek out.

IMG_4532.thumb.jpg.fa634e63ea70a381450677437f8feb0a.jpg

It's gotten too pricey in my market so it's an infrequent purchase but every time I crack one open it's excellent.

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

Nothing spectacular, but it's everything I like or haven't tried yet. (Woodinville) 

0516201851-1.jpg

You can get Woodinville in Ohio? They must be expanding. Let us know what you think. The distillery is only 7 miles down the road from my house and I've been watching them improve year after year.

40 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

Do you recommend a Woodinville purchase?

The only Woodinville I've had was a single barrel store pick bottled at cask strength and it was excellent.  So, I'm sure the 90 proof regular bottling will not disappoint.

4 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Do you recommend a Woodinville purchase?

I picked up a 90 proof on Friday, and have tried it a couple times over the last 2 days. Not on the level of New Riff, IMO, as it still has a youngish dogginess with cinnamon and a fresh wood tinge to it.  But, those notes in no way make it not enjoyable like 97% of other craft distilled bourbons.  It was fairly easy to get past these notes and recognize there is a decent bourbon in there brimming with potential, more sooner than later.  Though, this won’t be a repeat buy for me in the short term, it is a positive learning experience that will bring me back to do so eventually.  Outside of it being a hefty $40, I don’t see much to not get one.

I picked up 4 more handles of EW BIB. I don’t think this current pricing is going to last, so I’m stocking up a little while they’re available for $20

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I picked up a 90 proof on Friday, and have tried it a couple times over the last 2 days. Not on the level of New Riff, IMO, as it still has a youngish dogginess with cinnamon and a fresh wood tinge to it.  But, those notes in no way make it not enjoyable like 97% of other craft distilled bourbons.  It was fairly easy to get past these notes and recognize there is a decent bourbon in there brimming with potential, more sooner than later.  Though, this won’t be a repeat buy for me in the short term, it is a positive learning experience that will bring me back to do so eventually.  Outside of it being a hefty $40, I don’t see much to not get one.

Though I'm a proponent of these guys I have to agree with you on the standard 90 proof version. It's the barrel strength bottles of this I have where it really shines. None of that youngish/cinnamon/wood note that you picked up in the 90 proof. They released a BIB for their 10yr anniversary and that's good. I wish they'd make that their standard.

Semi related - I've yet to try a New Riff that I like. What am I missing? Maybe it's just sub par barrels that I've had.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.