What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, k-train said:

I didn't pass on a bourbon, but I'm worried it may have passed on me.

The NC ABC commission's monthly sales list for August listed both the regular RRSiB as well as a RRSiB Private BTB release in .75L bottles for $56. The BTB designation here is for "Buy the Barrel" and is essentially what the closest thing to a store pick we can get here in a control state with ABC stores. These BTB releases are pretty rare here to begin with, and especially so if you are looking for a specific brand.

As a big RR fan & after hearing constantly for years about how amazing RRSiB store picks can be, I REALLY was hoping to finally have something like that here.

So in early August I began calling around the local ABC stores to inquire about when they'd be expecting it... yet nobody seemed to know what in the world I was talking about. Hell, half of the employees I talked to didn't even know what BTB stood for; telling me it meant Bottled in Bond, despite the fact that it clearly isn't bottled in bond & everything that is bottled in bond is listed as BIB, not BTB.

Anyhow, I eventually sent an email about it to the NC ABC Commission's main office, and they sent me a reply that answered none of my questions.

So with just days left in August, worry began setting in that this release may not actually be coming here. What was even more worrisome was that I'd miss out due to incompetent folks who really should be able to provide me with the info I want not knowing what they sell & where they sell it.

I finally talked with someone at ta neighboring county's ABC Board who spent some time looking into it for me. She seemed totally unaware of it at first as well, but then discovered that the county did in fact place an order for it back in early June. She indicated that it hadn't been received & so they obviously don't have it currently in stock. Unfortunately, she said she had no way to tell if it was something that should still be headed this way or not and to just keep checking the state inventory site since it will pass through there first.

So now I've spent a month getting psyched on the prospect of FINALLY picking up a RRSiB store pick only to find out it may not be happening after all.

Uggghhh.

I've been there man.  I snagged one on a limb about 4 months back.  No announcements, explanation, or anything, just showed up out-of-the-blue.  So I pounced as quickly as I could.  

As many others on the forum can attest to, when you get a good one, it is worth the time/effort/search.  For the high-proof, it packs a serious punch but is incredibly approachable and not overwhelming.  

Thanks,

• I like it 1

"Catfishing" I like it.  Nothing, no bites for a long time, then the pole almost gets pulled out of your hands.  Line is getting peeled off the reel. ?

41 minutes ago, PaulO said:

"Catfishing" I like it.  Nothing, no bites for a long time, then the pole almost gets pulled out of your hands.  Line is getting peeled off the reel. ?

And then the SOB heads straight  for the bottom, wraps the line around some weeds, and breaks your line off. ?

Biba! Joe

Passed on all bourbons today. Today was the day my store gets in all of its allocated bt products and i didnt go. 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, PhantomLamb said:

I've been there man.  I snagged one on a limb about 4 months back.  No announcements, explanation, or anything, just showed up out-of-the-blue.  So I pounced as quickly as I could.  

As many others on the forum can attest to, when you get a good one, it is worth the time/effort/search.  For the high-proof, it packs a serious punch but is incredibly approachable and not overwhelming.  

Thanks,

Man, you must've done something to get all them negative waves outta here.

Yesterday I got a call out of the blue from the guy who handles the purchasing for all the ABC stores in the county. I'm assuming the lady I spoke with there previously must've mentioned it to him,, and I'm so thankful she did. He told me the RRSiB store pick had actually just come in the day before & he told me which store would be getting it. (He also told me about Woodinville & Bulleit store picks available right now in some of the other stores in the county)

So after years of wanting to get a Russell's store pick but assuming it was probably not in the cards, I finally have one!

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I've passed on just about everything in 2020 except for Wild Turkey 101.

Sound logic right here.

• I like it 1

Not today but earlier this week, I passed on the ballyhooed Still Austin straight bourbon. Low $40's but it wasn't the price that held me back. I just don't need more middling-to-good whiskey (or even middling-to-excellent) ...  and I figure time is on my side. As a bourbon aficionado I'm certainly not going anywhere.  And by the time I even get around to opening it,  I bet they will have better aged whiskey on the market anyway.  I'll just keep an eye on this brand...

• I like it 1

FR OESK 10.2 yrs. Betting on more selections around town in the near future. 

Passed on these bad boys, as I have several times over now. I find it somewhat entertaining to see them on the shelf like this because this store originally offered these two only to top tier customers, and yet here they are several months later several deep. Not that I blame the store, I just think the pricing is a bit ridiculous from KO.  Seems like pure marketing driven tater-bait to me. The rye is batch #3 for reference. 

83B27BF6-5ABF-45FF-BE5A-AADCE2CA3001.jpeg

Stagg Jr. probably around $55ish. They had one left and I have not been the biggest fan of prior batches. My LS said he has plenty of other customers who would be thrilled to get it so easy choice.

Also LB4. I had zero interest in chapter 1. Thought Ch 2 was a very unique and tasty pour. Absolutely loved chapter 3 and was so looking forward to chapter 4. But this one does not appeal at all. I am all for the creativity and new blends etc, but price accordingly. An increase to $140 for this batch is just crazy in my opinion. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Passed on these bad boys, as I have several times over now. ... The rye is batch #3 for reference. 

Label says established 1879 but they're only up to third batch?  Must be some large batches like WT produces.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Passed on these bad boys, as I have several times over now. I find it somewhat entertaining to see them on the shelf like this because this store originally offered these two only to top tier customers, and yet here they are several months later several deep. Not that I blame the store, I just think the pricing is a bit ridiculous from KO.  Seems like pure marketing driven tater-bait to me. The rye is batch #3 for reference. 

I have passed on several of these roughly that same price. Some less some more. 

• I like it 1

Weller 107 189.99

Weller 12 300

Willett rye 79.99

Also passed on a ogd 100 that i went in for but wasnt at that particular store, will be getting it soon though.

11 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

The Kentucky Owl Rye is excellent though.  

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, cfelkey said:

The Kentucky Owl Rye is excellent though.  

I have the batch #1, for which I paid like $120. Were it comparably priced I’d probably pull the trigger, but that extra $80 is bit excessive IMO, particularly given I’ve only spent >$80 on a single bottle a handful of times.

• I like it 1

On 8/29/2020 at 12:40 AM, Kepler said:

Not today but earlier this week, I passed on the ballyhooed Still Austin straight bourbon. Low $40's but it wasn't the price that held me back. I just don't need more middling-to-good whiskey (or even middling-to-excellent) ...  and I figure time is on my side. As a bourbon aficionado I'm certainly not going anywhere.  And by the time I even get around to opening it,  I bet they will have better aged whiskey on the market anyway.  I'll just keep an eye on this brand...

I passed on this Friday too.  Figure I will get to visit them in Austin when things calm down and can sample a reasonably priced pour on their best juices to make an informed decision.  

• I like it 1

Found 3 Old Ezra 7/101’s marked at $13.99. Got to the register and she said $97.xx. Someone had em in the wrong spot.. they were $27.99 ea... i ended up passing. 

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Found 3 Old Ezra 7/101’s marked at $13.99. Got to the register and she said $97.xx. Someone had em in the wrong spot.. they were $27.99 ea... i ended up passing. 

Yes, $27.99 sucks compared to the $16.99 these were typically priced at (except in NYC)… but I was floored by this email blast I received yesterday offering its tarted-up replacement for a hundred flat.

1994675948_ScreenShot2020-08-31at8_13_31AM.thumb.png.cdff7096de773684e6d72ec254c2d7c9.png

10 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, $27.99 sucks compared to the $16.99 these were typically priced at (except in NYC)… but I was floored by this email blast I received yesterday offering its tarted-up replacement for a hundred flat.

1994675948_ScreenShot2020-08-31at8_13_31AM.thumb.png.cdff7096de773684e6d72ec254c2d7c9.png

The new one tasted pretty bad to me too. Not anything like the classic, which was fantastic. Wish they couldve just offered both options. I pass at $36 regularly.. $100 is silly. 

I passed on SAOS 7 Year MGP for $62.99 at a store that was selling it for $45.99 a few months ago.  They had a shelf full.

Also passed on Old Tub at $28.99. First time I have seen it.  They had several cases.

Good to know Old Tub is available to us now.

Maybe find it at another store (that doesn't gouge).

Cream of Kentucky store pick. 11.5 years old, signed by Jim and priced at $139.99. I am tempted by this one though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.