What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, k-train said:

Yeah, I'm really hoping to not make that mistake again.

The NC ABC Warehouse Inventory site is already showing a listing for what I can only assume is the upcoming Larceny C920 (they never tell you which batch they are getting, but they do list the proof & this new listing is significantly higher than the first two batches). They don't have any in stock yet, but that listing just popped up a few days ago which is a good sign indicating they are planning on getting it sooner than later. I plan to watch that thing like a hawk & then stop by my local stores every day during the week it finally shows up on the site as being in stock.

(Also... Go Pens!)

Yeah let us know. Shame about the Pens for a Cup run this year. You from Pittsburgh?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah let us know. Shame about the Pens for a Cup run this year. You from Pittsburgh?

Will do. They are showing that LBP C920 coming in HOT at 132 proof, so I'd imagine it'll be considerably different than the 122.2 proof B520.

They're also showing the ECBP C920 to be 124.2 proof , which is just a bit little lower than the 127.2 of the ECBP B520.

I'm not from Pittsburgh, but love that city. I played there a bunch when I was in touring bands & always enjoyed the folks who I met there. When I was in my early-mid 20's I had a roommate & bandmate from Greensburg as well as a bunch of friends who moved down here from Pittsburgh.

As for the Pens... I grew up as a military kid & was living in Turkey from the mid-late 1980's. Then my father got stationed in NC when I was about 12 years old. I had no previous exposure to hockey whatsoever and just happened across it on ESPN around 1990. I found myself really into it & was particularly drawn to Mario and the Pens. Since I had no home team to root for I decided to pull for the Pens... and  as you know, they won back to back Stanley Cups. I tried to keep up as much as possible, even during those miserable Rico Fata years, but have often found myself too occupied with other things in recent years to keep up like I once did. I got back into it pretty hard in the early days of Sid, Reno, Flower, Talbot, etc. and that paid off with another Cup... same thing in 2015 & 2016. Since then though, I've unfortunately just not been able to keep up as much at all.

Passed on Baker's. A former perennial favorite of mine that I enjoyed because it was a sleeper in the Beam lineup is now up to $70 locally in the new single barrel iteration. Too much risk at that price.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

Passed on Baker's. A former perennial favorite of mine that I enjoyed because it was a sleeper in the Beam lineup is now up to $70 locally in the new single barrel iteration. Too much risk at that price.

$70?  I sure hope that's  a Wash State ABC issue.  At $60 or slightly less hereabouts, I'd hesitate and work down the bunker at $70..

- GTS: $499.99
- Weller SR: $89.99
- Henry McKenna 10 BiB: $99.99
- ECBP C919: $79.99
- EC 18 year: $299.99
- EC Toasted Barrel: $149.99
- Larceny BP: $149.99
- Old Fitzgerald BiB 9 year: $249.99
- Old Fitzgerald BiB 15 year: $399.99

Picked up a wt101 for 29.99 without thinking. Ended up putting it on the shelf and getting a er10 for 40 bucks. Even regular bt was 2 dollars cheaper than the 101.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

$70?  I sure hope that's  a Wash State ABC issue.  At $60 or slightly less hereabouts, I'd hesitate and work down the bunker at $70..

Wash State is private now - no ABC. The M.O. around here is: legacy products tend to hold their historical pricing line (with adjustments for inflation). New products provide the excuse to jack up prices to reflect the hyped up tater market. (And the taters flock to pay those prices.)

EC toasted barrel $50

Old Tub $26

1792- BiB, FP, SiB ~$55ish average

The other day I too passed on EC Toasted Barrel for $50.  I've heard multiple reviews say it's good but not must have and pretty pricey for a 90 proofer.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

The other day I too passed on EC Toasted Barrel for $50.  I've heard multiple reviews say it's good but not must have and pretty pricey for a 90 proofer.

I have the same view on this one. The regular ECSB goes for about $25 when it's on sale here. So is the ECTB twice as good in order to justify paying twice the price? Sure doesn't sound like it to me, and exactly why I've also passed on it.

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

I have the same view on this one. The regular ECSB goes for about $25 when it's on sale here. So is the ECTB twice as good in order to justify paying twice the price? Sure doesn't sound like it to me, and exactly why I've also passed on it.

?of this ^

especially since I know where there are a couple awesome ECsb store picks on the shelf for $37!  I ended up picking up a regular sb for $29 instead since I was out and it was on sale(ish)

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I passed on everything today. ?

Biba! Joe

There's still a lot of today left so you never know.

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I passed on everything today. ?

Biba! Joe

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

There's still a lot of today left so you never know.

I did pick up another ps OFSB Friday that I didn't post about. ?

• I like it 1

Passed on FWGS SAOS store pick.  Think they were asking $55 and it wasn't a Sarah so...

• I like it 1

On 8/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, flahute said:

I don't blame you at that price, I'd have to pass on it too.

I saw an interesting bottle at a store the other day that I haven't noticed before. JB Single Barrel 108 proof and the bottle said it was unfiltered. It was 32 bucks.  Has anybody tried it yet? 

If it's anything like the JB Distiller's Cut (also unfiltered) maybe this might be a reasonable substitute for Baker's ( ? )

For me anyway the JBDC tastes a lot like Baker's but just younger.

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I don't blame you at that price, I'd have to pass on it too.

I saw an interesting bottle at a store the other day that I haven't noticed before. JB Single Barrel 108 proof and the bottle said it was unfiltered. It was 32 bucks.  Has anybody tried it yet? 

If it's anything like the JB Distiller's Cut (also unfiltered) maybe this might be a reasonable substitute for Baker's ( ? )

For me anyway the JBDC tastes a lot like Baker's but just younger.

I remember seeing the TTB filing for the JBSiB a while back. Someone just posted a photo of one on Instagram today so it must just be hitting the shelves now.

Wandered into a slightly scruffy strip mall liquor store while my wife was ordering lunch to go for us a couple doors away today.  They had an Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 22 year for $199.99.  Tempted, but ultimately decided to leave it on their top shelf.  

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

I remember seeing the TTB filing for the JBSiB a while back. Someone just posted a photo of one on Instagram today so it must just be hitting the shelves now.

Yeah could be.  Somehow I wasn't aware of this release until now.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:10 PM, flahute said:

I’ve been passing under $50. Although, the recent bottles I’ve tried have been quite good and I certainly think it’s fair if found for that price. I’ve just been in a mood of buying value bourbon rye rather than ~$50 bottles mainly. But at $70 I would certainly pass as well. And for Beam products I’ve largely passed in general lately. Was tempted by trying Old Tub the other day under $20 though

• I like it 1

Passed on a er10 at the bt gift shop. Would have normally picked it up but i have a current bottle open and will be going for a different tour in a few weeks if all goes well.

1 hour ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Passed on a er10 at the bt gift shop. Would have normally picked it up but i have a current bottle open and will be going for a different tour in a few weeks if all goes well.

FWIW, what were they charging for the ER at BT? I was there the year before last, and they had Blanton's for $60.00. Of course I bought one. I was there two weeks later, and again they had Blanton's for $60.00. Yes, I bought another. FWIW, they usually have bottles in their gift shop priced a couple of dollars or so higher than retail. They don't want to compete or create a conflict with local liquor stores.

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, what were they charging for the ER at BT? I was there the year before last, and they had Blanton's for $60.00. Of course I bought one. I was there two weeks later, and again they had Blanton's for $60.00. Yes, I bought another. FWIW, they usually have bottles in their gift shop priced a couple of dollars or so higher than retail. They don't want to compete or create a conflict with local liquor stores.

Biba! Joe

Didnt have a price on the er10, 43 bucks for eht.

• I like it 1

I didn't pass on a bourbon, but I'm worried it may have passed on me.

The NC ABC commission's monthly sales list for August listed both the regular RRSiB as well as a RRSiB Private BTB release in .75L bottles for $56. The BTB designation here is for "Buy the Barrel" and is essentially what the closest thing to a store pick we can get here in a control state with ABC stores. These BTB releases are pretty rare here to begin with, and especially so if you are looking for a specific brand.

As a big RR fan & after hearing constantly for years about how amazing RRSiB store picks can be, I REALLY was hoping to finally have something like that here.

So in early August I began calling around the local ABC stores to inquire about when they'd be expecting it... yet nobody seemed to know what in the world I was talking about. Hell, half of the employees I talked to didn't even know what BTB stood for; telling me it meant Bottled in Bond, despite the fact that it clearly isn't bottled in bond & everything that is bottled in bond is listed as BIB, not BTB.

Anyhow, I eventually sent an email about it to the NC ABC Commission's main office, and they sent me a reply that answered none of my questions.

So with just days left in August, worry began setting in that this release may not actually be coming here. What was even more worrisome was that I'd miss out due to incompetent folks who really should be able to provide me with the info I want not knowing what they sell & where they sell it.

I finally talked with someone at ta neighboring county's ABC Board who spent some time looking into it for me. She seemed totally unaware of it at first as well, but then discovered that the county did in fact place an order for it back in early June. She indicated that it hadn't been received & so they obviously don't have it currently in stock. Unfortunately, she said she had no way to tell if it was something that should still be headed this way or not and to just keep checking the state inventory site since it will pass through there first.

So now I've spent a month getting psyched on the prospect of FINALLY picking up a RRSiB store pick only to find out it may not be happening after all.

Uggghhh.

^^^ Oy!  This is the bourbon world’s version of “catfishing”.  

I hope your diligence, patience and tenacity are rewarded, @k-train!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.