What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Not so much passed as missed out on. Local Sam's had Old Fo 86 1.75's for $6.51! Sold out as soon as word got around.

FB_IMG_1597375313624.jpg

Dude, how did that even happen. ?

In my neck of the woods, I'm seeing 4R Small Batch Select stacked deep in the grocery stores for like $50 - $60.  Too much serious competition in that range for me to take notice.

• I like it 3

On 8/13/2020 at 8:25 PM, Clueby said:

Not so much passed as missed out on. Local Sam's had Old Fo 86 1.75's for $6.51! Sold out as soon as word got around.

FB_IMG_1597375313624.jpg

Wow! That's one of the few sub 90 proofers that I like. I'd have snagged a few for sure.

Passed on a ky owl at 169.99. I do not see myself spending anywhere near that for a bottle. 

I passed on a store pick of Bulleit Single Barrel, at a store that I often buy store picks from. It was $65, and was NAS. That just seems too expensive for a NDP/NAS product like this to me. I’m assuming these must still be FR juice, but what recipe is it if it is a single barrel? Why would they not at least list the age? 

I guess the 11 year Dickel B.I.B. has finally come to our area.  I never saw the 13 year, except for photos here.  I'm not a fan of the house style, but have heard the vitamin taste goes away with enough age.  I'll think about it.

53 minutes ago, PaulO said:but have heard the vitamin taste goes away with enough age.  I'll think about it.

Orphan Barrel Whoop & Holler, at 28 years is still distinctively Dickel— so don’t count on it. I’ve been enjoying the new 11 yo BIB, as it’s truer to the distillery’s austere character than the 13yo. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I passed on a store pick of Bulleit Single Barrel, at a store that I often buy store picks from. It was $65, and was NAS. That just seems too expensive for a NDP/NAS product like this to me. I’m assuming these must still be FR juice, but what recipe is it if it is a single barrel? Why would they not at least list the age? 

The store where I got my bottle said (somewhat coyly) that their barrel is 10yr OBSO.  $60 but it's damn good and I'm strongly considering getting a back up.  I'm not even much of a 4R fan but this just hits all the right notes for me...

• I like it 1

Weller Antique 107 for 100 bucks.   Which isn't the worst price I've seen.  Which somehow makes it even worse.

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Weller Antique 107 for 100 bucks.   Which isn't the worst price I've seen.  Which somehow makes it even worse.

Heehee!  ?

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

That is like 60% off msrp right?

1 hour ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

That is like 60% off msrp right?

ou may be thinking of William Larue Weller from the BTAC.   MSRP for WA107 is around $50 although good luck finding it for that anymore.  Y

Passed on Baker's 7-year SiB for $69.99 @ Binny's.  That much for a 7-year bourbon is still a tough pill for me to swallow.

53 minutes ago, foster016 said:

Passed on Baker's 7-year SiB for $69.99 @ Binny's.  That much for a 7-year bourbon is still a tough pill for me to swallow.

I passed at $59.99.  Still too much for what it is...

• I like it 1

Passed on a couple wsr today. I have one open already that is not quite hitting the spot. 

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Now back when it was $49.99, that's a different story, at least for me.  I fear those days are long gone now...heck they're asking $85 + change for 6yr. old Booker's here!

3 hours ago, foster016 said:

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I was able to grab one for $49 last week. I like it, but I definitely prefer the KC12 for $54. 

20200814_173431.jpg

When Larceny Barrel Proof B520 hit the shelves here in NC I didn’t realize just how few bottles were allocated to this area. I saw a fully stocked display of it when I went to grab the ECBP B520, and so I foolishly assumed I’d be fine to wait a week & come back for it. Naturally when I came back for it a few days later it was long gone & none of the stores near me seem to have gotten any more LBP B520 since then.

Edited by k-train

Little Book #3 for about $114. Still having second thoughts. Haven't spent that much on a bottle before and not sure if there's something out there that's close but less money? 

I passed on a lot today. These are the ones that stand out and had me thinking....

Kentucky Owl Confiscated

Rabbit Hole Dareinger

Weller Antique 107 (purchased three)

Weller Special Reserve (purchased three)

Bardstown Discovery

Bardstown Fusion

Early Times BiB (purchased two)

Discovered a local liquor store today with a lot of hard-to find bottles.  I picked up a couple but passed on

ECBP C919 at $75 (having second thoughts about that one);

Stagg Jr at $120 (having second thoughts about that one too);

Blanton's at $200;

Col Taylor BIB small batch at $150;

Weller SR at $90

Edited by IamMatt

28 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Discovered a local liquor store today with a lot of hard-to find bottles.  I picked up a couple but passed on

ECBP C919 at $75 (having second thoughts about that one);

Stagg Jr at $120 (having second thoughts about that one too);

Blanton's at $200;

Col Taylor BIB small batch at $150;

Weller SR at $90

I hope the ones you did pick up were reasonably priced. I would have had a hard time supporting a store with those prices. The ECBP isn't terrible. I've been known to drop that on a batch I really want and C919 is a stellar batch. The rest are hard passes. Don't have any more second thoughts about Stagg Jr. at that price.

• I like it 1

On 8/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, k-train said:

When Larceny Barrel Proof B520 hit the shelves here in NC I didn’t realize just how few bottles were allocated to this area. I saw a fully stocked display of it when I went to grab the ECBP B520, and so I foolishly assumed I’d be fine to wait a week & come back for it. Naturally when I came back for it a few days later it was long gone & none of the stores near me seem to have gotten any more LBP B520 since then.

Same thing happened to me, still kicking myself for passing.

4 hours ago, shuttlenote said:

Little Book #3 for about $114. Still having second thoughts. Haven't spent that much on a bottle before and not sure if there's something out there that's close but less money? 

It's worth it.  I thought the same when I bought it but no regrets.  Grab it if you can.

Oh, yeah, also passed on Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, @29.99 each if you buy two.  It's funny I posted recently that I always regret the times I didn't buy more than the times I did, maybe I need to go back and pick up on some of these.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Same thing happened to me, still kicking myself for passing.

Yeah, I'm really hoping to not make that mistake again.

The NC ABC Warehouse Inventory site is already showing a listing for what I can only assume is the upcoming Larceny C920 (they never tell you which batch they are getting, but they do list the proof & this new listing is significantly higher than the first two batches). They don't have any in stock yet, but that listing just popped up a few days ago which is a good sign indicating they are planning on getting it sooner than later. I plan to watch that thing like a hawk & then stop by my local stores every day during the week it finally shows up on the site as being in stock.

(Also... Go Pens!)

Edited by k-train

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.