What Bourbon Did You Pass On Spring/Summer 2020?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

44 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Cream of Kentucky store pick. 11.5 years old, signed by Jim and priced at $139.99. I am tempted by this one though.

I don’t think store picks exist on this one. 

Just my .02, but I’d maybe get a bottle signed if the opportunity presented itself but would probably not add any additional value/interest to a presigned bottle 

26 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I don’t think store picks exist on this one. 

They do. This is the only one. It just sounds like a very tasty whisky.

1AA4FFA0-576E-4C9C-B423-074CB2D69FA4.png

Edited by mal00768

19 hours ago, mal00768 said:

They do. This is the only one. It just sounds like a very tasty whisky.

1AA4FFA0-576E-4C9C-B423-074CB2D69FA4.png

That is interesting.  No idea what the sticker actually says.  Is it a single barrel?  And a new batch release back at 11.5 years?  I am intrigued.  

I do think the signature on front is a facsimile that is on all CoK bottles, but not positive without looking.  Besides I'm 0-1 on this one so far so may as well try again!

• I like it 1

We've had some Heaven Hill limited editions hit the UK shores over the last few weeks, and these are pretty much representative of the prices across all retailers, which suggests that whoever is distributing them (I think Marussia Beverages) either thinks of them more highly than the rest of the bourbon drinking world, or they wanted to ensure they were priced to avoid flipping (which they've been doing for a good three or so years now). 

It's shit like this that makes me thank fuck I bothered to bunker anything at all, because I won't be buying them and the fact that last year's stock is still available at "retail" suggests nobody else will either. I had a rummage through my emails for orders of Old Fitzgerald 12, the last of which I bought in 2015, priced at £37.50 a bottle. 

Hey ho!  

image.thumb.png.4919d2abf56441f2434150c884b81c50.png

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, beasled said:

We've had some Heaven Hill limited editions hit the UK shores over the last few weeks, and these are pretty much representative of the prices across all retailers, which suggests that whoever is distributing them (I think Marussia Beverages) either thinks of them more highly than the rest of the bourbon drinking world, or they wanted to ensure they were priced to avoid flipping (which they've been doing for a good three or so years now). 

It's shit like this that makes me thank fuck I bothered to bunker anything at all, because I won't be buying them and the fact that last year's stock is still available at "retail" suggests nobody else will either. I had a rummage through my emails for orders of Old Fitzgerald 12, the last of which I bought in 2015, priced at £37.50 a bottle. 

Hey ho!  

I hear you B. Quite a few years ago the Old Fitz 12  went through some changes. The first of which wasn’t very good. The bottles that came out post BHC weren’t anything to brag about. A fellow member here actually sent me a bottle absolutely free just to get my opinion because he thought it was so bad. It was. It tasted like crap. Drain cleaner it became. It was reintroduced some time later at $39.99 (US) and I thought it was pretty good. I was a buyer of a few bottles at that price. Then it started getting scarce, and the price increased. I decided to move on. 

Joe

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I hear you B. Quite a few years ago the Old Fitz 12  went through some changes. The first of which wasn’t very good. The bottles that came out post BHC weren’t anything to brag about. A fellow member here actually sent me a bottle absolutely free just to get my opinion because he thought it was so bad. It was. It tasted like crap. Drain cleaner it became. It was reintroduced some time later at $39.99 (US) and I thought it was pretty good. I was a buyer of a few bottles at that price. Then it started getting scarce, and the price increased. I decided to move on. 

Joe

I'm glad to say I was a late convert, the bottles I got hold of were those just before they stopped making it (wax topped!), and it was pound for pound a Weller 12 beater for me, at the same price over here at least. 

I just don't quite understand what the deal is with these prices, what are they looking for in a buyer? Someone knowledgeable enough to know what it is but stupid enough to pay it? Does such a person exist? I dunno. I hope not. 

I'll happily sit back and watch these go north whilst my Beam bottles continue to stay sensible... cheers!

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, beasled said:

I'm glad to say I was a late convert, the bottles I got hold of were those just before they stopped making it (wax topped!), and it was pound for pound a Weller 12 beater for me, at the same price over here at least. 

I just don't quite understand what the deal is with these prices, what are they looking for in a buyer? Someone knowledgeable enough to know what it is but stupid enough to pay it? Does such a person exist? I dunno. I hope not. 

I'll happily sit back and watch these go north whilst my Beam bottles continue to stay sensible... cheers!

I can’t argue you’re reasoning at all. A pretty decent 12 year old wheater for $40.00, sure. What it’s now become, pass. Cheers back at y’ B. 

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Hey ho!  

That PHC rye is really good though...

2 hours ago, beasled said:

I just don't quite understand what the deal is with these prices, what are they looking for in a buyer? Someone knowledgeable enough to know what it is but stupid enough to pay it? Does such a person exist? I dunno. I hope not. 

Fortunately or not, the level of global wealth is noticeably higher than it was during (and coming out of) the Great Recession.  Bill Gates, per Forbes magazine’s list of March 2009, was the wealthiest person in the world then, with an estimated wealth of $40B.  Now per the real-time Forbes list, Jeff Bezos is #1 with $204B as of the close of the markets today, which almost doubles Gates’ $117B at the current #2 spot. 

As a result, the prices of everything remotely desirable have increased noticeably.  The downstream effect of all that wealth increase means lots of folks with disposable income looking for the same bottles we are.  Fundamental microeconomics at play here........ ?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

That is interesting.  No idea what the sticker actually says.  Is it a single barrel?  And a new batch release back at 11.5 years?  I am intrigued.  

I do think the signature on front is a facsimile that is on all CoK bottles, but not positive without looking.  Besides I'm 0-1 on this one so far so may as well try again!

The signature is actually along the side of the bottle. 

The story that we were told is that it is not a single barrel. But it does come from barrels that were left over from batch 1 of CoK. I am intrigued as well but not sure about the price. I think it’s inline with the regular release though.

02F99BFF-EDB2-4731-9CF6-23584B6FFD8A.jpeg

Edited by mal00768

Passed on an 11 year OBSQ 105 proof for $84. I hesitated quite a while before putting it back on the shelf? 

I have only had the standard Four Roses offerings so far. Opinions from others who have tasted the OBSQ recipe?

8 hours ago, Mattk said:

That PHC rye is really good though...

is it £190 better than Pikesville? :D

7 hours ago, parksmart said:

Fortunately or not, the level of global wealth is noticeably higher than it was during (and coming out of) the Great Recession.  Bill Gates, per Forbes magazine’s list of March 2009, was the wealthiest person in the world then, with an estimated wealth of $40B.  Now per the real-time Forbes list, Jeff Bezos is #1 with $204B as of the close of the markets today, which almost doubles Gates’ $117B at the current #2 spot. 

As a result, the prices of everything remotely desirable have increased noticeably.  The downstream effect of all that wealth increase means lots of folks with disposable income looking for the same bottles we are.  Fundamental microeconomics at play here........ ?

Sadly you're right! 

On 8/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on SAOS 7 Year MGP for $62.99 at a store that was selling it for $45.99 a few months ago.  They had a shelf full.

Also passed on Old Tub at $28.99. First time I have seen it.  They had several cases.

On 8/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, PaulO said:

Good to know Old Tub is available to us now.

Maybe find it at another store (that doesn't gouge).

Well, I just found Old Tub today at a store that generally sells everything close to MSRP.

It turns out, they wanted close to the same price - $29.95 out the door.  So that must be the price for Hoosiers, for now, because it's new and all.

I'll follow up in another thread.  Bonded and NCF, you know I couldn't resist.

• I like it 1

I passed on KC15 @ $89.99.  I looked like a great bottle.  That might be a good price but I think I would prefer 4 bottles of KC9 at $88 on sale.  I suspect it would go quick.  The same store has KC12 for $54.99, which would be around $46 with a 15% discount.   

Stopped at a bottle shop near work today. Haven't been in there much recently. 

Got a little excited when I was informed they just got some allocated stuff in. Alas, Blanton's for $99 is a pass for me... even if it seems that's becoming the price of admission. 

• I like it 4

27 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Got a little excited when I was informed they just got some allocated stuff in. Alas, Blanton's for $99 is a pass for me... even if it seems that's becoming the price of admission. 

If that's the price of admission, I will always opt for another venue.

I used to really like Blanton's but when the price is over $60, then I really like OF100 or WT101.

• I like it 4

Passed on rhf at 349 today. A good price compared to finding blantons at 500 and blantons gold at 1000.

14 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Passed on rhf at 349 today. A good price compared to finding blantons at 500 and blantons gold at 1000.

?!

16 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Jeez.

I can’t even count how many RHF I left behind in the past few years because I thought $80 was too high.

I kinda feel like the mashbill 2  hype has gotten worse than the van winkle hype...?

On 9/2/2020 at 7:52 PM, Galvin0791 said:

You should have checked if it was Blanton’s Gold 

?

On 8/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, IamMatt said:

Passed on this one.

Blanton's.gif

Yesterday I was in a liquor store where many years ago I bought my last ORVW 10 to find Blantons 375 ml at $99.99 and the 750 mL at $199.99.  Just for kicks they had Weller Antique for $299.99/1750 mL bottle.

When the clerk asked if she could help me I just said no thanks.

Blanton's while about $10 over priced is actually a good deal for around here in southeast MI.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

You should have checked if it was Blanton’s Gold 

?

Crap, that's an excellent point! This shop has prices that are a bit inflated, but they don't usually gouge... from what I've seen in the past, anyway. Shame on me for not checking. Lesson learned. 

34 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Crap, that's an excellent point! This shop has prices that are a bit inflated, but they don't usually gouge... from what I've seen in the past, anyway. Shame on me for not checking. Lesson learned. 

Always visually inspect the goods being offered , LoL.

I heard a story about a guy asking for “Weller” at a grocery store and the clerk getting Weller 12 for him from the back room.

?

• I like it 1

On 9/1/2020 at 7:51 PM, parksmart said:

But the net worth of the one at the very top is no measure of overall wealth of the population. Because of the destruction of wealth that's happening in the middle class (the death of a healthy middle class). Sure the super-uber-wealthy are richer, but that doesn't mean overall wealth in the population is higher. That's the problem.

Edited by Kepler

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.