What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

I've read here on the site that people generally have a low opinion of the HW own made whiskey, and it's a larger component of the batch, less and less of the good sourced barrels they used to get.

By the way, I see tons of HW products in stores nowadays, like never before.  It's not very interesting to me.

It's sort of the classic modern craft story.  Buy some nice barrels from a legacy distiller, then rush your own product to market, even if it's not good.

Outside of some Midwinter's Night Drams I bought years ago I've never bought anything else by them. Was never interested and am even less so now.

^^^^I really enjoyed the double rye until they ran out of the Barton component.  The current iteration is an easy pass, for me.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

I've read here on the site that people generally have a low opinion of the HW own made whiskey, and it's a larger component of the batch, less and less of the good sourced barrels they used to get.

By the way, I see tons of HW products in stores nowadays, like never before.  It's not very interesting to me.

It's sort of the classic modern craft story.  Buy some nice barrels from a legacy distiller, then rush your own product to market, even if it's not good.

Starting last year, there was a major marketing push in our area.

Anyway, the local stores started getting large displays and were running promo pricing on the products, trying to draw attention.

It has slowly fizzled out again.

The important thing to note is that if their house made products were worth a darn, they would be celebrating them, instead of quietly hiding (blending) them into sourced stock.

They released new make rye as a white whiskey a couple years back, but nary a sight of any aged HW produced rye being sold on its own... even if just in small amounts from the gift shop.

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^I really enjoyed the double rye until they ran out of the Barton component.  The current iteration is an easy pass, for me.

Though I never bought a bottle, I had it bars a few times an always enjoyed it. I'm just not enough of a rye fan and already had a lot on hand.

54 minutes ago, flahute said:

and already had a lot on hand.

It just sucks to be you, doesn’t it?!??

Over the years, I’ve been to a couple of tastings in our area put on by folks from HW and their local reps. The people involved did a wonderful job and were great.  They answered every question that was asked, and they were totally open and honest. I tried a number of their products. A couple were decent, but overall, HW stuff just ain’t my cup of tea. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

It just sucks to be you, doesn’t it?!??

It’s a tough job. 

• I like it 1

Was about 1.5 hours outside of home turf and did a little hunting. It took 5 stores before I found anything worthwhile and had to chat with the nice young man tending the store for a while before he retrieved it from the office. I asked him what else they had back there and all he would say was...that's all I'm allowed to sell from back there.  $39.99. Not the best price but not the worst and it was a small mom and pop store.

20201003_212541.jpg

• I like it 4

Looks like it's gonna be a wheater week. ? Thanks go to Gavin0791 for the heads up on this one. 

Also and FWIW, it looks like this could be a bottle dipped by my gal at MM?

Biba! Joe

DSC_0008.jpeg

DSC_0011.jpeg

• I like it 1

I actually had my eye on a couple of other things, but I have to watch my  $$$ & ¢¢¢. I have a delivery coming in  a day or two, and hopefully Binny’s will be opening soon. ?  We drove by there Friday night on the way home from the store. Looking good.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Looks like it's gonna be a wheater week. ? Thanks go to Gavin0791 for the heads up on this one. 

Also and FWIW, it looks like this could be a bottle dipped by my gal at MM?

Biba! Joe

DSC_0008.jpeg

DSC_0011.jpeg

Excellent! I'm glad you were able to grab one. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

• I like it 1

Had some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket so I splurged on this bad boy. A welcome addition to the shelf! Plus it should get my spending muscles primed to pay for some limiteds this fall, if I’m lucky enough to find/be offered them.

34BB90F0-6DC5-4AAA-8877-B78FC6B56889.jpeg

• I like it 3

After a doctor's appointment, I swung by a local store I like to pick up some OGD BIB.  A Wilderness Trail SmB BIB which I like looked lonely so I brought it home.  The other impulse buy was a Baker's 107 7YR for $44.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

After a doctor's appointment, I swung by a local store I like to pick up some OGD BIB.  A Wilderness Trail SmB BIB which I like looked lonely so I brought it home.  The other impulse buy was a Baker's 107 7YR for $44.

Nice price on that Baker's. Is that the SmB or a SiB? 

Is tge Wilderness Trail the wheater or the rye bourbon? I've boon looking forward to trying the rye bourbon. 

Picked up my first ever bottle of Weller!  Really enjoyed it.  Hope to find some other nice bottles in the coming weeks as I am new to the "hunting" game.  

IMG_1572 (1).jpg

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

Picked up my first ever bottle of Weller!  Really enjoyed it.  Hope to find some other nice bottles in the coming weeks as I am new to the "hunting" game.  

IMG_1572 (1).jpg

I enjoy weller a lot as well. I dont understand why i like weller but i dont care for makers or larceny. I do like makers 46 a lot.

10 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

I enjoy weller a lot as well. I dont understand why i like weller but i dont care for makers or larceny. I do like makers 46 a lot.

A few nights ago I khad the last pour of a bottle of MMCS. I decided to do a sbs with OWA. OWA is better IMO, but the MMCS was a worthy competitor. Im not much of a fan of the regular MM

Picked this up for 71$ after tax. Not a big fan of Blanton's but I generally like TPS picks. 

IMG_20201007_115327.jpg

Edited by ABVT
  • I like it 1

58 minutes ago, ABVT said:

Picked this up for 71$ after tax. Not a big fan of Blanton's but I generally like TPS picks. 

IMG_20201007_115327.jpg

Is that a 375?

46 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Is that a 375?

It certainly looks like it in the photo but I went and double checked. Its 750 ML, haha. 

Pickups over the last couple weeks.  Pricing OTD was either too good to resist (KC9 - $41, EW Black - $17, 4RYL - $31), or the quasi-dusty status of the old packaging NAS KC SmB was too alluring ($66 OTD).  #HandleHumpDay

6910FA30-9829-4549-9EFC-EF0077EECC14.jpeg

94A9000C-A3C2-4975-BA15-4ED4CB57AE23.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

Pickups over the last couple weeks.  Pricing OTD was either too good to resist (KC9 - $41, EW Black - $17, 4RYL - $31), or the quasi-dusty status of the old packaging NAS KC SmB was too alluring ($66 OTD).  #HandleHumpDay

6910FA30-9829-4549-9EFC-EF0077EECC14.jpeg

94A9000C-A3C2-4975-BA15-4ED4CB57AE23.jpeg

Did you look at the back of that EC? For a short bit they had the 12 year age statement on that label. 

19 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Nice price on that Baker's. Is that the SmB or a SiB? 

Is tge Wilderness TraiThe l the wheater or the rye bourbon? I've boon looking forward to trying the rye bourbon. 

The Wilderness Trail rye bourbon is excellent.    It's a sweet mash like Peerless,  and IMO better both taste and price-wise.   

Picked up another bottle that’s new for me today.  I haven’t seen the B520 in my area yet, although they had a few in stock (maybe 5-6 bottles) I had to jump on it before they were gone.  Retail today at $49.99.

3CE06209-A8F2-4AD2-902E-478D874F2E43.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.