What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

If you think the Astros are the only "cheaters" in MLB the past few years you are delusional.  And also not paying attention.  Both the Yankees and Red Sox were guilty and that's not even up to debate. Why no vitriole for the bluebloods?  Many more teams in all likelihood.  It has been part of the sport unfortunately.

"You hate us 'cause you ain't us!"   ?

We have a saying amongst us "Super Seniors" in shooting competitions - "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't winnin'."  Old guys need every advantage we can find just to stay vertical.   ?

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Picked up a local’s PS Rebel Distllers Collection.  Not quite a total hot mess, but damn close.  Surprising, since the nose was non existent to start.  

0CA07841-DD61-45B9-B188-DC17A1C5D86D.jpeg

What was wrong with it aside from missing the nose?

Thanks,

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

If you think the Astros are the only "cheaters" in MLB the past few years you are delusional.  And also not paying attention.  Both the Yankees and Red Sox were guilty and that's not even up to debate. Why no vitriole for the bluebloods?  Many more teams in all likelihood.  It has been part of the sport unfortunately.

I’m not delusional, and I pay attention. I full well know that sign stealing and other “things” are, and always have always been a part of the game. I also know these things aren’t limited to just a few teams. As a kid I went to many AAA baseball games to see me hometown Indianapolis Indians. Hell, even as a kid, I figured out the signals their baserunners used to tip off batters as to what pitches were coming. The basic gestures they used were brush off pants:fastball, swipe across chest:off speed pitch, and on occasions with multiple runners on base, adjusting cap: pitch out. What I didn’t figure out was the gesture to change those signals. I think it may have been a swipe of the cleats near the base, but I never was sure. Yeah, Vern Rap wasn’t the brightest of managers. -_- The Astros elaborate scheme was uncovered. And yes, I know that other teams including the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers were implicated in similar escapades, but probably not quite to the scope and depth as the Astros.

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

What was wrong with it aside from missing the nose?

Thanks,

Like I said, a hot mess.  It really lacked a cohesive taste profile of any kind that could withstand the scalding alcohol heat.  From start to finish, as soon as I could begin to detect a flavor, it was burned out.  Its like having soup that is near boiling.  It just overwhelms the flavors.  The 113 proof of this drinks like 173 proof... a bit of water tamed it down, and did allow some nougat like flavors and a touch of brown sugar through, but never did anything to help them blossom.  Only $39.99, so not a terrible waste.  The Maker’s Cask Strength for the same price wipes the floor with it.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The Astros elaborate scheme was uncovered. And yes, I know that other teams including the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers were implicated in similar escapades, but probably not quite to the scope and depth as the Astros.

We may never know because major league baseball has swept the Yankees under the rug and minimized the Red Sox investigation.  It's  bad for business I guess.  The Astros cheated horribly, got caught, and the 17 title will forever be tainted. Every Astros fan has had to do some soul searching to come to grips with everything.  We just want even-handed treatment by MLB and the media & fans.  Media and fans nationwide have acted like that Astros team was the first sports program to ever cheat the rules. The level of vitriol and nastiness in the sports media has been unprecedented, and for some reason others got a pass. 

Kudos to the Rays on an excellent season, they do so much with fewer resources, and I hope they go win the world series!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Like I said, a hot mess.  It really lacked a cohesive taste profile of any kind that could withstand the scalding alcohol heat.  From start to finish, as soon as I could begin to detect a flavor, it was burned out.  Its like having soup that is near boiling.  It just overwhelms the flavors.  The 113 proof of this drinks like 173 proof... a bit of water tamed it down, and did allow some nougat like flavors and a touch of brown sugar through, but never did anything to help them blossom.  Only $39.99, so not a terrible waste.  The Maker’s Cask Strength for the same price wipes the floor with it.  

And to think someone picked this.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

And to think someone picked this.

It could have been one of those situations.  We have a barrel, do you want it or not - that kind of pick.

15 minutes ago, PaulO said:

It could have been one of those situations.  We have a barrel, do you want it or not - that kind of pick.

That has to be what happened given how bad it sounds.

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Your review is all I need to tell me to stay away.  I have been seeing these pop up lately and have had marginal interest at best.  "Like having soup that is near boiling" is a great descriptor for a really hot out of balance bourbon.

• I like it 1

I had to restock provisions of some currently available favorites.  Incidentally, I passed on a Makers 101.  I can’t understand how that was $65 when the CS was $40.

ECDFB979-0D2A-4267-841B-821AA54D533F.jpeg

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I had to restock provisions of some currently available favorites.  Incidentally, I passed on a Makers 101.  I can’t understand how that was $65 when the CS was $40.

MM101 was only $34 here locally.

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

ECDFB979-0D2A-4267-841B-821AA54D533F.jpeg

Mmm... Statesman.

?

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

MM101 was only $34 here locally.

Yeah at $37 I took a swing, haven't opened it but will probably gift to a friend

Wait.  You guys are telling that we do weird crap in Georgia?  No!  You've got to be kidding me....

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, jnewberg said:

Yeah at $37 I took a swing, haven't opened it but will probably gift to a friend

I bought one in the box and stuck it in the bunker and another to drink. It went down fast but can't say I was crazy about it.

I succumbed to FOMO and bought an SE4xPR5 yesterday.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I bought one in the box and stuck it in the bunker and another to drink. It went down fast but can't say I was crazy about it.

I succumbed to FOMO and bought an SE4xPR5 yesterday.

Store owner is a great guy but not a huge whiskey guy (more into Tequila) and he was happy about getting them, so I threw him a bone and grabbed one... Great guy and feel bad not buying for as often as I stalk his store.

Local place called me today on some BTAC that they got in.  I arrived about 20 minutes later and missed the WLW.  I was in time for the GTS and THH.   I added a couple of PR5s to the order.

He is pulling  a WLW and another GTS from his other store and will call me in a day or two.  He said he will check on other BTAC for me.

• I like it 3

On 10/19/2020 at 1:09 AM, 0895 said:

After tasting this at a buddy’s, I began looking for one.

Wish granted.

922D0123-F862-444E-8AD9-CC2CB08FC145.jpeg

What were your thoughts on this one? 

24 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Local place called me today on some BTAC that they got in.  I arrived about 20 minutes later and missed the WLW.  I was in time for the GTS and THH.   I added a couple of PR5s to the order.

He is pulling  a WLW and another GTS from his other store and will call me in a day or two.  He said he will check on other BTAC for me.

This is the 2020 release?

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What were your thoughts on this one? 

Going on memory alone, (sbs with RC6 a few weeks ago)

it was less sweet, more spicy, and had better wood flavors.

Last year I liked RC6 well enough, but grew tired of the bottle halfway through.

The SE4xPR5 seems much more in my wheelhouse.

I’ll just mention again that I often struggle with wheated bourbons.

I have to be in the right mood, and some nights they are just not my thing in any brand or variation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.