What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

50 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Send me some of whatever you two are smoking and I may not even need to hunt bourbon anymore! 

I posted above my SBS of CEHTBP 128.1 vs Stagg Jr. 131.9 from Oct. 2019.  As far as I am concerned you can have all the CEHTBP as 1. I can't find it anyway, and 2. What I see online it routinely sells (in stores) for $150=$200+.  I will take SJR at $50-$75 all day long.  If I ever see an CEHTBP at actual retail I would likely pull the trigger.

• I like it 1

Casting my vote for EHT BP over Stagg Jr.  I prefer the taste over the SJr.

That doesn't necessarily mean I think the EHT is worth $150 as some see it priced (whether something is worth twice MSRP is a different question).

Availability and value is a separate thing and with all that in mind Stagg Jr probably comes out ahead.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I posted above my SBS of CEHTBP 128.1 vs Stagg Jr. 131.9 from Oct. 2019.  As far as I am concerned you can have all the CEHTBP as 1. I can't find it anyway, and 2. What I see online it routinely sells (in stores) for $150=$200+.  I will take SJR at $50-$75 all day long.  If I ever see an CEHTBP at actual retail I would likely pull the trigger.

Great SBS! And actually I do agree with several components from your tasting notes.  I recall Stagg Jr having big brown sugars and cherry cola on the nose, but it drank super hot and had that youthful harsh finish to me.  Also, as your wife indicated the CEHTBP tends to be much smoother and drinks well below its proof.  From my small sample of this year's batch which I believe is just over 130pf I believe I said I would have taken the under at 110pf if asked.  

I will need to revisit Stagg Jr at some point.  It's been awhile.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, liquidbarrels said:

Just purchased the Heaven Hill BiB and ECBP C920. C920 is a great pour so far

Just purchased a bottle of ECBP C920 @ my local Kroger for $58.99...

Stopped on my local for a bottle of wine to pair with dinner, and saw they had something new on the bourbon shelf: Belle Meade SmB (classic).

I’ve seen their bottles a lot in various bourbon areas of the Internet and had been curious. And reading the label with some quick google research it looks like it’s a blend of two MGP mashbills, batches blended from just four barrels at a time, between 6-8 years old. Seemed decent specs and I appreciate the transparency.

And as I think on it, it might (to the best of my recollection) be the first MGP bourbon I’ve had. I’ve had some ryes, but I’ve been sticking to majors for bourbon for the last several years, with a few micros that are actually distilling and selling their own product sprinkled in. Very few, if any, NDPs on my bourbon journey except perhaps for early on when I wasn’t really paying attention. In any event, I’m excited to try it!

• I like it 3

Just picked up a bottle of Balcones Texas Pot Still Bourbon, $37.50.

Ive got to say I’m a fan from the get go.  It’s got a creamy, sweetish taste but with a little complexity that I can’t quite put my finger on.  Not the best stuff I’ve ever had but very enjoyable.  Drinking it neat it is a very easy 92 proof.  Love the color and aroma.

F5067F37-35FA-4FBB-BBBD-9CF0E077FDD8.jpeg

27 minutes ago, DanP said:

Ive got to say I’m a fan from the get go.  It’s got a creamy, sweetish taste but with a little complexity that I can’t quite put my finger on.  Not the best stuff I’ve ever had but very enjoyable.  Drinking it neat it is a very easy 92 proof.  Love the color and aroma.

Love that glass.

This is one of many ways to spend $1150 on bourbon. This was actually over the last 5 days during a vacation to Hilton Head from Tennessee and back. Most of the purchases were mulled back for buddies I work with. When you work in an office with 6 dudes who are all bourbon freaks this is what happens. The second photo is the bottles I picked up for myself. I would say it was a successful trip. Most everything was purchased close to retail (The Midwinters was a little higher).

D21AEADF-8695-4639-B9A0-03DF72E3EED2.jpeg

BAB3E1CA-20B3-40B1-A895-CAD79C279110.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

This is one of many ways to spend $1150 on bourbon. This was actually over the last 5 days during a vacation to Hilton Head from Tennessee and back. Most of the purchases were mulled back for buddies I work with. When you work in an office with 6 dudes who are all bourbon freaks this is what happens. The second photo is the bottles I picked up for myself. I would say it was a successful trip. Most everything was purchased close to retail (The Midwinters was a little higher).

D21AEADF-8695-4639-B9A0-03DF72E3EED2.jpeg

BAB3E1CA-20B3-40B1-A895-CAD79C279110.jpeg

Maybes it’s just the prices in PA here but that still seems a little high? Congrats on the haul though!

2 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Maybes it’s just the prices in PA here but that still seems a little high? Congrats on the haul though!

Retail I consider:

Weller Sr 25-30

Larceny BP $50-60

Elijah Craig $60-70

MWND $90-100 (this was 120, but a buddy wanted it)

Knob Creek SB Select $45

1792 FP $45

Although if there is one thing I have found in bourbon hunting it's what is normal is subjective to your area. 

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

Casting my vote for EHT BP over Stagg Jr.  I prefer the taste over the SJr.

That doesn't necessarily mean I think the EHT is worth $150 as some see it priced (whether something is worth twice MSRP is a different question).

Availability and value is a separate thing and with all that in mind Stagg Jr probably comes out ahead.

I am in Kepler's camp - especially if we are talking both at MSRP.   I revisited the SBS last night, and I still love CEHTBP over Stagg jr.

• I like it 1

Went a little hog wild yesterday.  Anyone try the Peg Leg yet?  Assuming it’s Dickel juice.  The Old Tub was surprisingly good and is a great value.  Low $20s.  

641C3813-0DA2-4531-AB55-507019D9F955.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d0a99c9919fc2dda5b07119b9c6a3129.jpeg
These arrived from my friend in FL. Had to wait a couple months for them to be muled back. 

• I like it 3

32 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d0a99c9919fc2dda5b07119b9c6a3129.jpeg
These arrived from my friend in FL. Had to wait a couple months for them to be muled back. 

Well at least tell us nerds more about the 4R specs...

All those sealed BT bottles are pretty though. ?

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Well at least tell us nerds more about the 4R specs...

All those sealed BT bottles are pretty though. ?

image.thumb.jpeg.27296383489937e4e903f62bf5f09b4c.jpeg
Im part preservationist! There are  plenty open upstairs but I can only drink so much.  Two of the RedSpots are for the doc that got me that half empty VW12. 

• I like it 2

On 10/16/2020 at 8:29 PM, DanP said:

Bourbon and baseball are always a hit.  Is that your deck?

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, JGriff said:

Went a little hog wild yesterday.  Anyone try the Peg Leg yet?  Assuming it’s Dickel juice.  The Old Tub was surprisingly good and is a great value.  Low $20s.  

641C3813-0DA2-4531-AB55-507019D9F955.jpeg

It looks like you enjoyed a pour or two or three of the Old Tub.  Nice haul!

21 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Retail I consider:

Weller Sr 25-30

Larceny BP $50-60

Elijah Craig $60-70

MWND $90-100 (this was 120, but a buddy wanted it)

Knob Creek SB Select $45

1792 FP $45

Although if there is one thing I have found in bourbon hunting it's what is normal is subjective to your area. 

Those are competitive prices in most areas.  Plus you picked up bottles for several friends and co-workers.  Nice haul!

Picked up a local’s PS Rebel Distllers Collection.  Not quite a total hot mess, but damn close.  Surprising, since the nose was non existent to start.  

0CA07841-DD61-45B9-B188-DC17A1C5D86D.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

It looks like you enjoyed a pour or two or three of the Old Tub.  Nice haul!

That bottle is gone after watching my Dawgs tonight against Bama 

3 hours ago, JGriff said:

That bottle is gone after watching my Dawgs tonight against Bama 

Haha I feel your pain man.  I had the ALCS on the main TV watching my team but had your game on screen #2. It looked like a great game although I didn't like the outcome. Hope your Dawgs get revenge in the SEC title game rematch!

Don’t like cheaters. ? Tampa all the way in the AL. As far as the NL is concerned, I’m a Cubs fan now, but a Reds fan from way back. IMHO, the Dodgers were the Reds nemesis back in the old days, and I didn’t like them at all. Some things don’t change. Go Braves!  ;)

A Braves and Rays World Series would be more than appropriate in my humble opinion. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Don’t like cheaters. ? Tampa all the way in the AL. As far as the NL is concerned, I’m a Cubs fan now, but a Reds fan from way back. IMHO, the Dodgers were the Reds nemesis back in the old days, and I didn’t like them at all. Some things don’t change. Go Braves!  ;)

A Braves and Rays World Series would be more than appropriate in my humble opinion. 

Biba! Joe

If you think the Astros are the only "cheaters" in MLB the past few years you are delusional.  And also not paying attention.  Both the Yankees and Red Sox were guilty and that's not even up to debate. Why no vitriole for the bluebloods?  Many more teams in all likelihood.  It has been part of the sport unfortunately.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.