What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday was a picture perfect fall day,  and I just couldn't get my head back into work.    Took a quick trip to the State Store and picked up my first-ever bottle of Old Forester rye.   Boy, have I been late to the party on this one.    Rye spice complemented by sweet malt and a smidgen of corn.    I can think of nothing quite like it,  maybe Old Elk but this is more balanced and complex (and almost half the price) .    A perfect complement to a perfect sunset.    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know times are tough, but I can hardly wait for the new  Binny’s to open here in Rockford. Not sure what the delay was/is, but they originally were scheduled to open at the end of last month. 

Biba! Joe

They are waiting until they have the full Weller line up for the grand opening.

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

Where in Rockford?

In Forest Plaza, on Business 20 (State Street). Only a mile or so off I-90.

You heard anything about Binny’s opening a store up your way?  Years ago when there was first talk of Binny’s expanding outside of Chicago, the main places mentioned were Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield, Champaign/Urbana and Rockford. There was also speculation at that time that Madison could be a possible site for their first store outside of Illinois.

Biba! Joe

28 minutes ago, PaulO said:

They are waiting until they have the full Weller line up for the grand opening.

That would be nice, but................ ?

Biba! Joe

The two BT Kosher bottles have been behind the counter at a NYC LS since an early June purchase via phone. They went unseen during the NYC looting, were rediscovered last week and sent my way. Gotta think they got some gris-gris going on-- might need to rub them for luck when needed. The RHF was a local surprise at $47.99.

IMG_5259.thumb.jpg.acd1790e3a179c4bd0412c983d727cca.jpg

• I like it 5

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You heard anything about Binny’s opening a store up your way?  Years ago when there was first talk of Binny’s expanding outside of Chicago, the main places mentioned were Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield, Champaign/Urbana and Rockford. There was also speculation at that time that Madison could be a possible site for their first store outside of Illinois.

Biba! Joe

Sort of in the same boat here in PA.  Waiting for the FWGS "Premium" store to open that's less than 10 minutes from home.  They originally said end of September, yet, here we are...

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:18 PM, Mano said:

New to the forum, seems fun.

Found this in liquor store today.

20200928_114415.thumb.jpg.b154aa473db5cac53ec6457950db80c5.jpg

Got these at liquor store ~ 1 month ago

1338812162_20200729_115737(1).thumb.jpg.e507c130e166baca0291e317104633ba.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:15 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Best intro ever.

Well, "Best intro ever" would be if any of these bottles were actually opened.

Edited by Kepler
spelling

Been a while since I made any purchases, but this weekend I jumped back in big time. I managed to land a bottle of OFBB and the new Russell's Reserve 2003. The Russell's is for a fellow SBer and the OFBB is for me. The wallet is hurting but it is the fall hunting season! Cheers everyone.

• I like it 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:12 AM, Kepler said:

Well, "Best intro ever" would be if any of these bottles were actually opened.

You missed my sarcasm Kepler!

• I like it 1

Costco run yielded a few surprises today.  Two different Baker’s offerings (7 yr 1 month and 7 yr 3 month) as well as a markdown on a Bulleit SB PS.  Grabbed some of each to pass along to my SBer-in-arms/glencairns @fosmith!

4B09CE0D-6DF2-465E-BB1A-2BC6AE6ED59F.jpeg

124EBFD3-CF38-4E11-97B6-9E65BEF1616B.jpeg

0E3F5938-C4B6-49C9-B8B8-64944DF13FFF.jpeg

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Costco run yielded a few surprises today.  Two different Baker’s offerings (7 yr 1 month and 7 yr 3 month) as well as a markdown on a Bulleit SB PS.  Grabbed some of each to pass along to my SBer-in-arms/glencairns @fosmith!

4B09CE0D-6DF2-465E-BB1A-2BC6AE6ED59F.jpeg

124EBFD3-CF38-4E11-97B6-9E65BEF1616B.jpeg

0E3F5938-C4B6-49C9-B8B8-64944DF13FFF.jpeg

That Bulleit is a heckuva lot less expensive than the SiB I've seen around here. I think it's been around $60-$70, but I may be wrong. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:37 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Haven't heard a word about it.  We're pretty strong on local spots like Steve's, Riley's, McFarland Liquor and others, plus local grocery stores like Woodman's that have big selections.  Many of those have multiple locations. Just got a Total Wine a couple years ago.  Not that a Binny's wouldn't be welcome, but I don't get a sense the market is crying out for more options.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

That Bulleit is a heckuva lot less expensive than the SiB I've seen around here. I think it's been around $60-$70, but I may be wrong. 

No, I think I paid about $60 for a Bulleit SiB from a different store and it was so good I was tempted to buy another but they were sold out.  That one was a 4R OBSO barrel according to "hints" given by the store. 

Couldn’t resist adding to the JB DC stash today.  I did leave a couple bottles on the shelf for the next aficionado.....

4DDDF63D-8594-4255-AEE9-1D89214A010F.jpeg

• I like it 5

I didn't buy anything today but a friend stopped by work and gave me a bottle of FRSmB Select.  This will be my third bottle.  I like it and will certainly enjoy it, especially as the weather starts getting colder.  He paid a pretty hefty price but it is the gift and thought that count.  He livres in Ohio.  I plan to invite him over when the coronavirus crisis is over and our schedules match up.

• I like it 1

Three purchases this week!  Not a fan of the Old Tub.  The store pick Knob creek is delicious!  And just glad to see Weller on the shelf at (close to) retail price.  Not my favorite Weller product but always nice to have a bottle on hand.

IMG_1605.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveoT said:

Three purchases this week!  Not a fan of the Old Tub.  The store pick Knob creek is delicious!  And just glad to see Weller on the shelf at (close to) retail price.  Not my favorite Weller product but always nice to have a bottle on hand.

IMG_1605.jpg

What did you pay for the Weller if you don’t mind me asking?

Two additional  Bakers SmB wax tops added to the bar.  At $43.99/each, why not!  

Edited by markandrex
abv

The past week got a ECBP C920, a LBP C920, & a RHF. Also grabbed a '13 WT101 for a bud.

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

What did you pay for the Weller if you don’t mind me asking?

I believe it was $55.  I can't find the receipt but I know it wasn't crazy as I didn't flinch when the clerk rang it in to tell me the price.  I hate to say it but I would probably have paid up to $75 for it since it never comes around this area.  I know I am part of the problem of price gouging but until there is a solution I need my juice!

8 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

I believe it was $55.  I can't find the receipt but I know it wasn't crazy as I didn't flinch when the clerk rang it in to tell me the price.  I hate to say it but I would probably have paid up to $75 for it since it never comes around this area.  I know I am part of the problem of price gouging but until there is a solution I need my juice!

It is a 1.75L, right?

I passed on this a few weeks ago but picked up today at Costco.  I wouldn't buy at the MSRP of $84.99 but I thought $64.99 was a reasonable price.  It is Series IV.  I have not tried any of the first 3 series but have read good reviews.

Resized_20201014_211202.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

It is a 1.75L, right?

Looks like a 1L to me. Feel like the 1.75s get pretty wide at the bottom. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.