What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Ha! The funny thing is that the lineup this time is identical to last time.

About a month ago I was picking with my local. Next week is a Bourbon Crusaders pick and we are doing Wilderness Trail and Four Roses.

It was so much fun last month so I'm thrilled to be back at it.

Awesome. Color me jealous. How many recipes were available for the pick with your local and what did you end up with?

There have been a lot of OESKs (Think 4-5) around my area this year and while they are all very good I’d like a bit more variety. That said after passing on the last barrel I snapped up a couple 11.5yr OESKs yesterday.  One for me, one for my cousin. 

42 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Awesome. Color me jealous. How many recipes were available for the pick with your local and what did you end up with?

There have been a lot of OESKs (Think 4-5) around my area this year and while they are all very good I’d like a bit more variety. That said after passing on the last barrel I snapped up a couple 11.5yr OESKs yesterday.  One for me, one for my cousin. 

I was surprised and thrilled to see 9 barrels when we walked in. The only recipe missing was OESO.

Tasting blind I was then thrilled to see that we had selected a 9yr 4mo OBSK. It's always been a favorite recipe.

That 11.5yr OESK must be great! I like that recipe a lot as well.

• I like it 2

This store pick changed my mind about Knob Creek...it was tremendous and I am sad to see it go.

0DE69C6B-37B5-4793-83B3-AA409045E619.jpeg

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well.....:unsure:

I finished two bottles. I currently have one open, and five in the bunker. Each time I visit that store, I’m surprised they still have some. Near as I can tell, they still have two or three cases left. I’m toying with the idea of seeing if they might possibly give me a discount if I buy a case. ;)

Biba! Joe

Uh, um...... correction. I just took an empty MM46 to the basement to add to my collection. I reckon I finished three of those OFSB PS’s. :huh:  My bad.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

That said after passing on the last barrel I snapped up a couple 11.5yr OESKs yesterday.  One for me, one for my cousin. 

I didn't even know we were related, but whatever...

lmk when I can pick it up.

In honor of my youngest grandson's birthday, I opened an OFBB 2011 yesterday. In hindsight, I was not thinking clearly, as he was born in 2013, and I should have opened my remaining OFBB 2013. To make it up to him, I had some PHC Blend of Mashbills tonight.

Pat

OFBB 2011.jpg

PHC blend of mashbills.jpg

• I like it 7

37 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

In honor of my youngest grandson's birthday, I opened an OFBB 2011 yesterday. In hindsight, I was not thinking clearly, as he was born in 2013, and I should have opened my remaining OFBB 2013. To make it up to him, I had some PHC Blend of Mashbills tonight.

Pat

OFBB 2011.jpg

Kudos. I've not had the OFBB, but I've have had the PH Blend of Mashbills. It is a great pour. 

Happy Bday to your grandson   

Cheers

• I like it 3

Waiting for the new Hallmark movie to come on.  I haven't seen it but I bet will be something like boy meets girl, they don't get along, then they do, then they start falling in love, then they fight, but find out it was all a big misunderstanding, then they get together again.

While waiting I decided to open a recently purchased bottle of Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  It is an interesting pour.  I see a lot of similarities to Four Roses.  It reminds me of a few of the Four Roses Small Batch Limited Editions I have had.  The nose isn't super strong but there is a faint mint, leather, fruit note.  The entry is very smooth with a sweet fruit and oak flavor.  The finish is where the rye, oak and spice hit.  It has a decent long finish.  I enjoyed it.  It catches me as a good dessert pour on a cold evening.  I paid $64.99 for the bottle.  I will look to pick up another if I can find it at the price.

I decided to follow up with a pour of a recently gifted Four Roses Small Batch Select to compare since I noted some similarities of the Remus to Four Roses.  They are pretty apparent.  The Four Roses Small Batch Select is a decent pour but I prefer the Remus Repeal Reserve.  But, it could be a matter of preference.  It is like going to the prom with two cousins who are both pretty but one just has that look.

I plan to follow up with OGD BIB as my final pour tonight but I plan to have my wife set up a blind SBS of the Remus v. FRSmBS just so I can be honest with myself as to which is better.  I bet that happens soon.  I plan to return to Costco soon so if I want another Remus now is the time to buy.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Waiting for the new Hallmark movie to come on...........

Sweet Autumn?  ?  Same here. Not sure what I’ll be pouring.

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Pat

OFBB 2011.jpg

Nice make up choice!  ?? That Blend of Mashbills is my favorite PHC.  

• I like it 1

My wife is watching the hallmark movie, I am watching the Georgia-Bama game.   I do like the hallmark movies but I sometimes think they just recycle the same script. Having some Weller SR tonight.

24 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

My wife is watching the hallmark movie, I am watching the Georgia-Bama game.   I do like the hallmark movies but I sometimes think they just recycle the same script. Having some Weller SR tonight.

I figure that they rotate between basically 3, maybe 4 different, but similar story lines. The one thing that you can always count on is some type of drama with about 20 minutes left in the movie. ?  BTW, Weller SR in the glass.  ?

Biba! Joe

Today as I was getting some things done around the house I was thinking how I wish 4R would do a regularly available  straight rye whiskey with a 80%+ rye mashbill, V yeast, NCF, 5-6 years old, and bottled at 100 proof. I realize this will never happen, but it doesn't hurt to day dream.

My night started with a rye whiskey, so i thought I'd follow it up with the only open bottle of V yeast I have. I love the creaminess of V. 

20201017_211908.jpg

It's my birthday tonight so I had a pour of one of my favorites. Love me some Rebel Yell 10 year SB (or at least this barrel).

20201017_215954.jpg

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I figure that they rotate between basically 3, maybe 4 different, but similar story lines. The one thing that you can always count on is some type of drama with about 20 minutes left in the movie. ?  BTW, Weller SR in the glass.  ?

Biba! Joe

Whats with the hallmark stuff? Wives have it on so you have to hear it? Please say yes. 

• I like it 1

Just now, FasterHorses said:

Whats with the hallmark stuff? Wives have it on so you have to hear it? Please say yes. 

Easy watching, no brainer fun. Only mild drama. Don’t need any high drama or “dark” shows during the times we’re going through right now. FWIW, the game show channel has been pretty fun too. Besides, my wife bought me a bottle of bourbon last week, and bourbon/cedar scented body wash this week. Who has it over who?  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

We finally made our trip down South (Southern Indiana).  We visited Madison, got to check out the Ohio River and Cliffty Falls State Park.  The park offers some spectacular views.  Then we visited friends nearby.  I rested yesterday after getting home.  Tonight I cracked open JTS Brown.

When in Madison, I could see Kentucky, and there is a bridge.  I cased everything on Google Maps ahead of time.  My local friends confirmed my findings - only a Dairy Queen on the KY side.  So, no KY visit for me, this time.

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Besides, my wife bought me a bottle of bourbon last week, and bourbon/cedar scented body wash this week. Who has it over who?  ?

Biba! Joe

Dont get em mixed up. Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy the show Joe

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Dont get em mixed up. Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy the show Joe

As always, they kissed, made up, and got together at the end of the movie.:wub:  Time for more Weller. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Well, the wife and I are celebrating our Rays win in Game 7 of the ALCS tonight.  It appears that there are a few Braves fans on this board, so I'll pull for you guys in the NLCS decider tomorrow...but, not after that! LOL!  Go Rays!

Weller 12 ALCS.jpg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Well, the wife and I are celebrating our Rays win in Game 7 of the ALCS tonight.  It appears that there are a few Braves fans on this board, so I'll pull for you guys in the NLCS decider tomorrow...but, not after that! LOL!  Go Rays!

My wife and I were rooting for the Rays too. Also rooting for the Braves tomorrow. I started with Weller SR. When the Rays won, I poured some of my Weller Blend. Waiting for the Grand Ole Opry to start in about 20 minutes. Might have to climb the ladder to Weller FP and/or WLW. Who knows? :P

Biba! Joe

47 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

Weller 12 ALCS.jpg

Congrats on beating my Astros. Good game.

Funny even before I saw your post I had poured myself some W12 as well. I was hoping to pull out some big guns tonight to celebrate a victory but it was not to be.

I hope y'all go win it all.  Especially if happens to be those whiny Dodgers players. Hope the Rays can prevent them from buying a  championship.

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife and I were rooting for the Rays too. Also rooting for the Braves tomorrow. I started with Weller SR. When the Rays won, I poured some of my Weller Blend. Waiting for the Grand Ole Opry to start in about 20 minutes. Might have to climb the ladder to Weller FP and/or WLW. Who knows? :P

Biba! Joe

Looks like there might be a possible scheduling problem???? The Grand Ole Opry is late, or won’t be on. Screw it. Weller FP in the glass now. Hey, it’s all good. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.