What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Revisiting an old favorite - JDSiBBP. It's a brand new bottle that I purchased today. Damn this is good. Why did I wait so long to reacquaint myself? I must still suffer from the anti JD bias that we all carry with us. 

• I like it 5

Earlier this evening I had a couple pours of 1792 SmB PS Oklahoma Bourbon Lovers to celebrate an Oklahoma Sooners victory over the Texas Longhorns. 

Sipping on ECBP 136.0 now with a little water.  Super fine bourbon.  This batch is one of my fave ECBP, it has a homemade vanilla ice cream note that is simply delicious. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Added "SmB"
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Revisiting an old favorite - JDSiBBP. It's a brand new bottle that I purchased today. Damn this is good. Why did I wait so long to reacquaint myself? I must still suffer from the anti JD bias that we all carry with us. 

Yes, it is damn good indeed.  Might this be the best truly "always available to everyone" bottle out there?  Old Forester 1920 and RRSiB also come to mind, but the JDiBBP seems to have a little something extra.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Earlier this evening I had a couple pours of 1792 PS Oklahoma Bourbon Lovers to celebrate an Oklahoma Sooners victory over the Texas Longhorns. 

Sipping on ECBP 136.0 now with a little water.  Super fine bourbon.  This batch is one of my fave ECBP, it has a homemade vanilla ice cream note that is simply delicious. 

Cheers

That was a crazy game.  Also a big Sooners fan here! 

That ECBP 136.0 is one of my "on deck" bottles.  It's been a couple of months since I emptied my last ECBP and your post makes me want to open up a new one.  As the saying goes... So many bourbons, so little time...

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That was a crazy game.  Also a big Sooners fan here! 

That ECBP 136.0 is one of my "on deck" bottles.  It's been a couple of months since I emptied my last ECBP and your post makes me want to open up a new one.  As the saying goes... So many bourbons, so little time...

It was crazy.   I'm sure those watching without a dog in the fight, probably enjoyed the back and forth.  For me, I was on the edge of my seat the entire game. 

Beating Texas was a little salve on this season.  Boomer!

All of the ECBPs I've tried have been good, with the 136.0 proof batch and B517 standing out for me.  

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
added "watching"
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Burned through my last bottle of JDSiBBP last week - waiting for re-stock at the store!?!  Me likee.   ?

• I like it 3

Opened up a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Stock last night, very unique. It stood alone on the shelf, and maybe for a reason, but for the price <$27, figured why not. After pour the nose is very strong as if it missed ageing, dropped in a large ice cube and headed to the fire pit. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes while the fire was getting going and the cigar was lit. I am by no means going to act like I can extract each note and use adjectives to lure one in or away. Summed up, the strong alcohol smell dissipated after resting, small first sip and my mind said maybe a hint of licorice combined with vanilla and I said this is almost like a dessert bourbon, then the spice hit and lingered, but so strong rub your tongue on the bottom of your teeth, yet. 

To me, I'll keep this in rotation, give it a try. 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I must still suffer from the anti JD bias that we all carry with us. 

Speak for yourself there Dickel boy...

Jack and I never broke up.

He even came to my wedding.

:)

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Speak for yourself there Dickel boy...

Jack and I never broke up.

He even came to my wedding.

:)

Hahahaha! Well played sir. 

• I like it 1

With a rare day off on a Monday, I am enjoying a Sunday evening pour.  For the occasion, I chose a good one. WTMK Decades. This Bourbon just shouts Wild Turkey. 

I think it is by far the best of the Master's Keep series.  IMHO. 

Cheers 

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, WD40 said:

Opened up a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Stock last night, very unique. It stood alone on the shelf, and maybe for a reason, but for the price <$27, figured why not. After pour the nose is very strong as if it missed ageing, dropped in a large ice cube and headed to the fire pit. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes while the fire was getting going and the cigar was lit. I am by no means going to act like I can extract each note and use adjectives to lure one in or away. Summed up, the strong alcohol smell dissipated after resting, small first sip and my mind said maybe a hint of licorice combined with vanilla and I said this is almost like a dessert bourbon, then the spice hit and lingered, but so strong rub your tongue on the bottom of your teeth, yet. 

To me, I'll keep this in rotation, give it a try. 

Welcome to SB.com.  Loved your avatar - how many old-timers would recognize a genuine wood lax stick (hickory, maybe?) with a traditional gut wall and  leather/bootstrap webbing for the cradle?  But I guess they still make them for purists, eh?   ?

Gotta say this is a pretty good pour.   After seeing a couple of good reviews I thought I’d give it a spin. 

D58C629C-A1CB-4528-BB9D-7A37DB611E05.jpeg

• I like it 1

Just poured a drink of Weller 12 to enjoy while watching the Braves / Dodgers game.  Should be an exciting series.

• I like it 3

Drinking the new version of Jim Beam Single Barrel. This is 108 proof and mid-$30's. It's not bad but not a favorite. Since it's single barrel, maybe I got an average one. Anyone had this and find it to be really good?

This is the first BS 4R pick I ever tried. I bought this in April 2017, when the gift shop still had all 10 recipes available to buy. I knew very little about the recipes at that time. A lady recommended OESF, so i grabbed it. I need to get moving on finishing this since it's been open so long. These days the F yeast is with the O as my least favorite, but this bottle still holds a special place in my bourbon heart. 

20201012_211523.jpg

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Just poured a drink of Weller 12 to enjoy while watching the Braves / Dodgers game.  Should be an exciting series.

So now it looks like that's your pour for the rest of the series.  We wouldn't want to break the streak now would we?

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

So now it looks like that's your pour for the rest of the series.  We wouldn't want to break the streak now would we?

You can bet on that!  Fortunately I will have enough to last through the series, but if the Braves make it to the WS I will have to go beg a bottle from someone. Great game last night. 

Closed up the RV today. End to another season. Brought most of my stash home. Left a few bottles in the RV. All over 50 proof so they should be safe from freezing. Sad to end another season. Had some ER tonight to  note the event. 

• I like it 1

Two very nice pours for me tonight. Had a work "meeting" to attend and managed to have a pour each of GTS and THH from 2019 on the company dime. Both were very good and dare I say, the THH to be a touch better on the palate this evening. Either way, a great night with some great whiskey and I didn't have to pay for any of it. Well.....not until I am in the office tomorrow morning and back to the grind.

• I like it 5

9 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Two very nice pours for me tonight. Had a work "meeting" to attend and managed to have a pour each of GTS and THH from 2019 on the company dime. Both were very good and dare I say, the THH to be a touch better on the palate this evening. Either way, a great night with some great whiskey and I didn't have to pay for any of it. Well.....not until I am in the office tomorrow morning and back to the grind.

Awesome!  ?

Biba! Joe

Had a 4 day weekend. Had the below and a couple pours of my mini barrel double oaked Dant as well.

6F659656-497C-441B-8C40-6E5C256C9CE6.jpeg

28A22378-D356-4D30-ADA5-7365D770FA30.jpeg

8BB0DF47-8AA6-4730-8D10-270934546B2B.jpeg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Radioyada said:

The W12 is back in effect for game 2. I just may be on to something. 

Well that was a close one.  Maybe you need to upgrade to Full Proof for tonight. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.