What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

40 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I’ll agree with the others.

You arn’t missing much.

There are a few different profiles that the BT barrels can lean towards, and if you find one in your wheelhouse it can be quite a treat.

Some barrels can be major duds though, and as a general statement, the normal shelf stock batched bottles are hard to beat.  BT has been my jam all summer long this year.

Unfortunately as of late, I hear of several stores just taking whatever barrel of BT they can get and not actually picking it.  I don’t enjoy purchasing store picks hoping to get lucky with a good one...  it rarely works in my favor.

I have no good explanation either as to why BT makes such a darn good manhattan ?

Store picks of BT are the only brand I can recall ever having a barrel that wasn't as least as good as the standard offering.  To me, they are way more variable than most other brands out there that offer PS versions. I've had a few (ER and OWA) that were very different from the standard profile but still good in their own right.  But there have been a few BT's that were just not up to regular BT standards.

It was interesting last year (or the year before..I don't remember) when a local grocery chain offered 4 different PS versions in 375ml bottles where you could easily and affordably do a compare and contrast between them.  I have to say that there was one of the 4 barrels that was head and shoulders above the others so as mentioned above you can sometimes find a gem "in your wheelhouse":

I'm typically not a big fan of cocktails with BT as it tends to get lost for me.  I did enjoy the manhattan made with vanilla-infused BT, though.

This isn't available here (yet), no idea if they plan on it. It is rather good! A bit hot out of the bottle but a drop of water does some good. Cheers! 

image.png

• I like it 2

Repeat story here. Yeah, I know.  ?

Not long after I got into bourbon, ER became one of my favorites. My wife and I had to make a drive up to Milwaukee one Saturday. Naturally we hit a couple of liquor stores. One store we stopped at had a helluva selection, and decent prices to boot. I found a few things that I’d been wanting to try. In the cart they went. Then I came upon an end cap with cases of their private pick ER. On sale @ $19.99 a bottle. :o Woot Woot!  Katy bar the door. I was gonna buy a case, with my wife’s blessing no less. Then I found an Old Rip 10, and a couple other bottles. Since I was gonna buy so many things, my wife suggested only buying a couple of bottles of the ER, and if it was good, I could come back in a week or two and buy a case. I half heartedly agreed. As it turns out, I’m sure glad I listened to her. The ER wasn’t very good. In fact, it was, and still is the worst ER, and private selection pick I’ve ever had. The bad news is, it took me quite a while to finish off those two bottles. The good news is, not too long after this I was able to score a couple of different ps ER picks from a store in Massachusetts. ;) One was great, and the other was absolutely stellar. It’s one of my top 10, if not top 5 bourbons of all time. Goes to show ya that you just never know.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Having some more Woodinville bourbon tonight.  Waiting for a scheduled Call with a research group from Perth later tonight.  If I was there, it would be Friday already.

639EEE49-B1C0-4D27-BFCC-AFD8B44C6DF7.jpeg

• I like it 1

Had a couple of very small pours (Dant, Legent, & Old Tub) to decide on what would be my main pour for the day.   I ultimately went with the Legent.  The interesting thing was that while going through my "test" pours, I found that the Dant had a definite chocolate note.  That was something I can't say that I have ever noted before in Dant.  It wasn't bad, just not what I was looking for today.  I'm guessing this is due to something I ate but this bottle did come out of the fridge and could have contributed.  You never know where a new flavor might pop up.  Now I will need to keep this in the back of my mind with my "regular" pour.

Wife's first retirement check came today.  Popped open a Bookers Kathleen's batch and we both had a pour.  Nice. 

Still working through the bunker. I bought the bottle below in 2011, but waited until tonight to actually start drinking it. I am a terrible tater.

Pat

Old Fitz BIB.jpg

• I like it 4

12 minutes ago, Clay34 said:

Wife's first retirement check came today.  Popped open a Bookers Kathleen's batch and we both had a pour.  Nice. 

Congrats, you (she) made it.

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Still working through the bunker. I bought the bottle below in 2011, but waited until tonight to actually start drinking it. I am a terrible tater.

Pat

Old Fitz BIB.jpg

I was so mad when they discontinued those.  I went to the ghetto to pick up remaining dusties.  Larceny was never as good.

• I like it 2

With my purchase of 2 new bottles of McKenna BIB I decided to have a pour of my existing bottle.  Decided to do a BIB night.  Started with the McKenna (Heaven Hill), followed by the OGD BIB (Beam) and finished with the Early Times (Brown-Forman).  The McKenna was the clear winner, followed by the OGD and for some reason tonight the ET really didn't hold up well compared to the other two.

BIB2.jpg

Grabbed this budget BIB on my way through Kentucky. I approve. Solid $25 bottle IMO. I think it may be a KY only release though.

IMG_2656~2.jpg

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Grabbed this budget BIB on my way through Kentucky. I approve. Solid $25 bottle IMO. I think it may be a KY only release though.

IMG_2656~2.jpg

I think it is KY only but Jack Rose in DC has them for $25. I haven’t cracked mine yet.

Back to the RV. Final two weeks before closing up for the winter. Got these in today. The Blanton’s is really tasty the grand Mayan reserve tequila I very interesting.  Sweet agave on the front followed by a mineral finish.  

7E755F6E-D53B-4588-8E00-823DDEA7A59C.jpeg

• I like it 1

Out of town visiting friends and family. This is a nice way to start the weekend. I had a pour of Lone Whisker first, which was fantastic. 

20201002_190238.jpg

31 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Out of town visiting friends and family. This is a nice way to start the weekend. I had a pour of Lone Whisker first, which was fantastic. 

20201002_190238.jpg

Drop a small little chip of ice in there. It's one that really opens up with a tiny bit of water or ice.

• I like it 2

Slurping on some VOB 6yr out of a Starbucks cup in downtown Cincy. Damn, life is good. 

16016960216221212592785855615405.jpg

• I like it 3

Since I passed on a FRSB earlier today, I’m having some Four Roses this evening. ?

Biba! Joe

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Since I passed on a FRSB earlier today, I’m having some Four Roses this evening. ?

Biba! Joe

You are so conflicted!

On 10/1/2020 at 6:32 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

Having some more Woodinville bourbon tonight.  Waiting for a scheduled Call with a research group from Perth later tonight.  If I was there, it would be Friday already.

639EEE49-B1C0-4D27-BFCC-AFD8B44C6DF7.jpeg

My local group selected a Woodinville a few weeks back. Was impressed with it. Heavy oak notes at 5 years and change with a big cinnamon pop. 

Tonight I went with one that I like but most folks don’t seem to agree. 

354C3C30-B5E7-4FD5-B3B9-654B104DE94D.jpeg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

My local group selected a Woodinville a few weeks back. Was impressed with it. Heavy oak notes at 5 years and change with a big cinnamon pop. 

Tonight I went with one that I like but most folks don’t seem to agree. 

354C3C30-B5E7-4FD5-B3B9-654B104DE94D.jpeg

I think Diamond gets bashed by some Turkey fans who think everything they put out should be 101, or higher, so the lower ABV on this turns people off before they even try it. The timing of when it came out also hurt it, as I think it was 2014? So it was a high priced LE, released as the hype train was building on certain things like PVW and BTAC, but there wasn’t quite the broader feeding frenzy for everything yet so these sat on shelves which further damaged opinions of it since people saw it sitting all the time and assumed it must be flawed. Keeping in mind that timing again though, in 2014 I was still buying stuff like PHC, Birthday Bourbon, W12, Booker’s 25th, EC18, and once in a while a BTAC or ORVW/Lot B off the shelf if you looked around a bit. If WT Diamond was released today for $90, which I think was the original MSRP, maybe as part of the WTMK series, it would sell much better I think. In general, a tasty pour with a unique profile within the WT universe that I’m happy to drink once in a while, as I don’t always need everything to be high octane. 

13 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Back to the RV. Final two weeks before closing up for the winter. Got these in today. The Blanton’s is really tasty the grand Mayan reserve tequila I very interesting.  Sweet agave on the front followed by a mineral finish.  

7E755F6E-D53B-4588-8E00-823DDEA7A59C.jpeg

Is that the same bottle in different colors? ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.