What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday in the Chicago area, I visited a LS that often has hard to find bourbon, albeit at high prices.

Passed on 

ETL @ $299

CEHT SiB @ $199

He had Weller BP, 12 yr, OWA, I didn't even ask.

I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare for $50, high priced but getting hard to find. I have alot of friends that like it, I try to find it for them.

23 minutes ago, ABVT said:

Passed on this, almost jumped at the old lable. What do you guys think? 

IMG_20201121_102832.jpg

I think it's pretty darn funny when liquor stores keep raising the prices of old label bottles that have been sitting around for years to the new current prices.

I get that they are in the biz to make money, but its not like they had to re-buy the bottle at higher wholesale prices.

51 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I think it's pretty darn funny when liquor stores keep raising the prices of old label bottles that have been sitting around for years to the new current prices.

I get that they are in the biz to make money, but its not like they had to re-buy the bottle at higher wholesale prices.

Yeah I initially got super excited but then I realized it can't be better than the 12+ age stated knob creek store picks that are currently out... Right? Haha

Edited by ABVT

12 minutes ago, ABVT said:

Yeah I initially got super excited but then I realized it can't be better than the 12+ age stated knob creek store picks that are currently out... Right? Haha

Well, you never know.  I've had some 11-12 year picks recently that were fantastic.

I've also had some 14-15 year picks that are over oaked and not very pleasant.

Ultimately, I probably wouldn't pay the price they're asking on the bottle you posted though.

17 minutes ago, ABVT said:

I wouldn't pay more for it just because it has a label from a year ago. I agree with 0895 that some of the hyper aged (14-15yr) were super oaky, while others are pretty balanced. I find the new KC12 100 proof to be better than all but one of the KC SiB PS I've had.

31 minutes ago, Mano said:

Intrigued, but just can't bring myself to spend $500.

20201121_111946.jpg

Damn.  Is that a Blanton's on a shelf for normal price (upper right corner)?

Now that's RARE!

:)

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Damn.  Is that a Blanton's on a shelf for normal price (upper right corner)?

Now that's RARE!

:)

Yeah, that I bought. I guess that is the nice thing about liquor  all sold at state store, when you do find something decent it is at msrp. They limit to 1 bottle per person.

Edited by Mano
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I wouldn't pay more for it just because it has a label from a year ago. I agree with 0895 that some of the hyper aged (14-15yr) were super oaky, while others are pretty balanced. I find the new KC12 100 proof to be better than all but one of the KC SiB PS I've had.

That label is much older than a year.  The label before the current one didn't have the big red "9" on the front.  I'd guess that bottle is closer to 10 yrs old (or possibly more) and the barrel number 107 suggests it's from the very early days of the barrel program.  They're up to around 10,000 now. 

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, ABVT said:

Passed on this, almost jumped at the old lable. What do you guys think? 

IMG_20201121_102832.jpg

What Fosmith said - that label is from a number of years ago.

It's interesting, but I don't think I'd pay the $20 or so up charge over a new one.

I haven't had some of the outlier extra aged selections.  The more normal selections have all been pretty good to me over the years.  I suspect that's what this is.

10 hours ago, ABVT said:

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Well, you never know.  I've had some 11-12 year picks recently that were fantastic.

I've also had some 14-15 year picks that are over oaked and not very pleasant.

The best Knob Creek I've ever tasted was a 14 year store pick.  The 2nd best was a 9 yr store pick. So yes, you never know.  I'm just glad I still have a bottle of that 14 yr left and a few more of the 9 year. 

8 hours ago, Mano said:

Intrigued, but just can't bring myself to spend $500.

20201121_111946.jpg

Whatever you do, taste it a bar first before making a move.  I have and those are absolutely fantastic. Legit.  But $500? Nope, not for me either (too many other excellent whiskeys available for a fraction) ...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, steven s said:

WT decades for 250

I know it's $100 north of what retail was, but kind of amazing in today's environment that a LE from over three years ago is still sitting around.

8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I know it's $100 north of what retail was, but kind of amazing in today's environment that a LE from over three years ago is still sitting around.

Depending on the area, those Turkey can sit for a while.  The only ones I haven't seen linger were the Russell's vintage releases and and the MK BIB.  I didn't see them linger because I never saw them ;) 

10 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Local store said he would let 1 of his 3 go for msrp in March... No idea if they are still around 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, Kepler said:

Whatever you do, taste it a bar first before making a move.  I have and those are absolutely fantastic. Legit.  But $500? Nope, not for me either (too many other excellent whiskeys available for a fraction) ...

Interestingly, at the Tucson Costco, the price for Boss Hog VII was $399.  Taxes, etc. must be lower in Tucson - pretty shocked really.  The same is $449 in Las Vegas.

i said no to Old Fitzgerald BIB 14 yr 2020 release for $299. The reviews on this are pretty good. Any one try it yet?

13 minutes ago, yobber76 said:

i said no to Old Fitzgerald BIB 14 yr 2020 release for $299. The reviews on this are pretty good. Any one try it yet?

I really, really enjoyed it. 

At $139. There’s no way it’s worth much more than $150 depending on local taxes. Over $200 is just silly.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, robertckim said:

Interestingly, at the Tucson Costco, the price for Boss Hog VII was $399.  Taxes, etc. must be lower in Tucson - pretty shocked really.  The same is $449 in Las Vegas.

I've heard it's also $399 in the DC Costco

15 hours ago, BigRich said:

Depending on the area, those Turkey can sit for a while.  The only ones I haven't seen linger were the Russell's vintage releases and and the MK BIB.  I didn't see them linger because I never saw them ;) 

I remember Decades sat around a long time (think I bought mine in November) and even Revival was around for a little bit.  But last year Cornerstone sold out very quickly in VA and this year the 17 BIB sells out at open.

27 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I remember Decades sat around a long time (think I bought mine in November) and even Revival was around for a little bit.  But last year Cornerstone sold out very quickly in VA and this year the 17 BIB sells out at open.

I passed on a MK 17 BIB still on the shelf in October for around MSRP ($180?).

53 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I passed on a MK 17 BIB still on the shelf in October for around MSRP ($180?).

You should have jumped on that.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.