What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah this would've been a no brainer buy for me.  To each their own I guess.

Do you get Eagle Rare where you live for suggested retail?  If so, don’t know why it would be a no brainer?  Eagle rare sits on the shelves here and I just purchased a single barrel 750ml this week.  The only reason I almost bought it was because of the bottle size which I haven’t seen before.  I can get a 750ml in New York at almost any store.

10 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Went to the ole LS early this morning before heading to work. Snapped a couple of easy passes pics-one of course hell no and the other badly mispriced. After bitching with the proprietor about his bull shit selections and over priced EC he brought out one that was a taker. :) OMG reader, please mind your manners.

IMG_1653.thumb.jpg.3772b90b5317aecea910308ea9305709.jpgIMG_1652.thumb.jpg.152888d234ba16e3a303db0bee02bc22.jpgIMG_1655.thumb.jpg.1cfd16d86f3fa62e83b3462132b1e93f.jpg

What did he charge you for the RR2003?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, SteveoT said:

Do you get Eagle Rare where you live for suggested retail?  If so, don’t know why it would be a no brainer?  Eagle rare sits on the shelves here and I just purchased a single barrel 750ml this week.  The only reason I almost bought it was because of the bottle size which I haven’t seen before.  I can get a 750ml in New York at almost any store.

I can get ER pretty regularly at fair prices as well, and pass on it regularly. But state by state, quite a few areas don’t see much ER at all. Or in many areas, when it is available it’s a lottery item or gouge pricing. 

To me it’s a solid whiskey but never wows me in any way. I usually have a couple around and use them as gifts or bring them to parties, where they often please the masses 

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I can get ER pretty regularly at fair prices as well, and pass on it regularly. But state by state, quite a few areas don’t see much ER at all. Or in many areas, when it is available it’s a lottery item or gouge pricing. 

To me it’s a solid whiskey but never wows me in any way. I usually have a couple around and use them as gifts or bring them to parties, where they often please the masses 

I can’t agree more. I used to be able to get ER for less than $30.00 here. When it’s on any shelves now,  it’s $38.00-$50.00. Not many years ago, I could drive up near Milwaukee and get it on sale for $19.99. Yep. Vosgar didn’t believe me. We took a trip there one time and sue enough, they had it on sale for $19.99.  At the beginning of this year I could get it at a store just across the state line for $28.99. No more. :(

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, SteveoT said:

Nope, very rarely (pun intended).  It shows up once in a while for $30 for the 750mL and is gone the same day.  The reason I say it's a no brainer for me is I'm a sucker for buying handles as opposed to standard bottles.  If I could get a handle of ER, which, to me is pretty good bourbon, for a reasonable price like that, I'd be all over it.  

21 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Eagle Rare 1.75s are fantastic and  I Believe only bottled for private picks.  That price is fantastic and I personally love the big bottle.  I have gifted several to people who say they enjoy ER and without fail every single person lights up when they see how big the 1.75 is.

I've bought a number of ER 1.75s at local Bevmo stores and none had a store pick sticker or hang tag so not only for private picks.  I stocked up when they were selling them for $56 and regularly sending out $10 off $50+ coupons.  ER 1.75 for $46?  Hell yeah! 

• I like it 3

Passed on this the other day at my local supermarket while grocery shopping.  They seem to get a few bottles every month or so and I think they sit around because not many people think to look for it there.  I left it behind because I'm just not loving the bottle that I currently have open.  It's good but there's a lot of bourbons I enjoy much more for that price or less.  But I'm glad I got to try it and see for myself what all the fuss is about. 

blantons pass.jpg

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, fosmith said:

I've bought a number of ER 1.75s at local Bevmo stores and none had a store pick sticker or hang tag so not only for private picks.  I stocked up when they were selling them for $56 and regularly sending out $10 off $50+ coupons.  ER 1.75 for $46?  Hell yeah! 

@Clueby

Road Trip?

:)

23 hours ago, fosmith said:

Passed on this the other day at my local supermarket while grocery shopping.  They seem to get a few bottles every month or so and I think they sit around because not many people think to look for it there.  I left it behind because I'm just not loving the bottle that I currently have open.  It's good but there's a lot of bourbons I enjoy much more for that price or less.  But I'm glad I got to try it and see for myself what all the fuss is about. 

blantons pass.jpg

Our Safeway often has it as well.

40 minutes ago, flahute said:

Our Safeway often has it as well.

It's just kind of a "Huh" moment to see something so sought after just sitting on the shelf at a supermarket.  Sometimes I almost half expect to see a Pappy or BTAC next to it... ?

On 11/6/2020 at 6:53 AM, BottledInBond said:

What did he charge you for the RR2003?

$250 OTD.  ?

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, fosmith said:

It's just kind of a "Huh" moment to see something so sought after just sitting on the shelf at a supermarket.  Sometimes I almost half expect to see a Pappy or BTAC next to it... ?

Ha! It could happen. I used to be able to reliably get either GTS, Handy, or ORVW10 at Whole Foods. It never got put on the shelf so you had to ask for it and know who to ask but still kind of amazing to get it at a grocery store.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Ha! It could happen. I used to be able to reliably get either GTS, Handy, or ORVW10 at Whole Foods. It never got put on the shelf so you had to ask for it and know who to ask but still kind of amazing to get it at a grocery store.

Last year I picked up a couple of bottles of Stagg Jr. batch 12 at Safeway.  But it wasn't on the shelf and I had to ask for it and they got it out of the back room.  My son got a bottle of ORVW10 there around the same time.  It was a real surprise for that to happen in 2019. 

• I like it 3

On 11/6/2020 at 6:11 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I can’t agree more. I used to be able to get ER for less than $30.00 here. When it’s on any shelves now,  it’s $38.00-$50.00. Not many years ago, I could drive up near Milwaukee and get it on sale for $19.99. Yep. Vosgar didn’t believe me. We took a trip there one time and sue enough, they had it on sale for $19.99.  At the beginning of this year I could get it at a store just across the state line for $28.99. No more. :(

Biba! Joe

Meijer has it on sale for $32.99, if there's one near you.

17 minutes ago, lemonman said:

Meijer has it on sale for $32.99, if there's one near you.

Thanks lemonman. Our Meijer hasn’t had any ER for weeks, but the empty slot on the shelf has had the same on sale price tag of $32.99. They can’t remember the last time they had any.

There’s some speculation from a couple of stores here that some things may have been screwed up a little with Binny’s opening here. Oh well. I reckon I’ll make do with BT, and Weller SR?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, GeeTen said:

$250 OTD.  ?

We do have a hefty tax in Memphis-near 10%, and the LS did boost the price a little. Could have been a pass but after getting the 2002 no way I could not get this. Plan on doing a SBS X 3 very soon.

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks lemonman. Our Meijer hasn’t had any ER for weeks, but the empty slot on the shelf has had the same on sale price tag of $32.99. They can’t remember the last time they had any.

There’s some speculation from a couple of stores here that some things may have been screwed up a little with Binny’s opening here. Oh well. I reckon I’ll make do with BT, and Weller SR?

Biba! Joe

I had seen it at the Round Lake store before, but never picked any up. Their website had shown it in stock when I posted yesterday, but a re-check now shows out of stock...

Got a text today from a liquor store that BTAC was in stock and a link to order before it went out to wider audience.

GTS $900

THH $800

WLW $1800

ER17 $2000

SAZ18 $2400

They are all sold out at those prices except for GTS.  Insane.

29 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Got a text today from a liquor store that BTAC was in stock and a link to order before it went out to wider audience.

GTS $900

THH $800

WLW $1800

ER17 $2000

SAZ18 $2400

Insane. I store here in DC has a bunch of allocated product. Says some guy from NY comes down and buys a bit of everything. 

Edited by WD40

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

GTS $900

THH $800

WLW $1800

ER17 $2000

SAZ18 $2400

Damn people are dumb.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

GTS $900

THH $800

WLW $1800

ER17 $2000

SAZ18 $2400

So silly... Those are 30% higher than the inflated secondary prices... Secondary gets a rightfully bad name but these store owners probably give a kickback to their reps for giving them the bottles. 

Passed on a blantons pick because it was in a bundle with another bourbon i dont remember. I think around msrp but i wasnt interested in the 2nd bottle.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:15 PM, Clueby said:

GTS $900

THH $800

WLW $1800

ER17 $2000

SAZ18 $2400

Geez, those prices are egregious, but the fact they’re flying off the shelf at such egregious pricing makes is just sad

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.