What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, TimeWillTell said:

I've been AWOL for awhile working too much. I pretty much drink WT101 and WT101Rye. And I love it. So simple. So classic. So good. And no running around looking for a decent deal which doesn't seem to exist anymore. 

Welcome back fellow turkeyhead, don't be a stranger. 

The JM Cigar Blend was excellent as always.  I don't  dip into it very often but whenever I do I'm always impressed and it's impossible to not want more.  So after three 1-ounce pours of the batch 9, for my next pour Old Forester sounded like a good choice.  So OFBB 2017 it is.  Despite being 12 year age stated, the OF tastes so much "younger" than the JMCB. Not in a bad way, because the OF has an incredibly fresh, vibrant fruitiness that I love (with no overly young hot notes that almost every other 100 proof or higher Old Forester bourbon I've tasted). It's just a little bit jarring after switching from multiple pours of the Cigar blend, which is a bourbon finished in Armagnac, sherry, and cognac casks.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Victory Cigar. Batch 9.  OU won its game in the tourney today. Gotta celebrate this one, because we get the pleasure of playing Gonzaga next 😐

20210320_222525.jpg

Boomer!!

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have never - in maybe a dozen releases - had even ONE JDSiBP that mildly disappointed.  Never had a store pick of it, but I am not sure how much better a store pick could be.

Same here. If I do come across a store pick, (and if there's no obscene markup), I will not hesitate to buy it.  

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I think most taters are a pretentious folk. If it’s not Kentucky bourbon, or finished in some way, or hasn’t won some awards its mostly overlooked. 

You may have something there.

I hope that this one keeps flying under the radar. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Enjoyed some nice pours for my birthday today.

And a great “to-go” cocktail with our dinner.

🥳 🎂 🥃

9A8F64A0-B8C5-4DBD-9A55-820456250BCC.jpeg

92E31875-7543-42DC-81B9-DF776A45F047.jpeg

DA26EA58-C0C3-44F9-B8F3-EC2968C07E7E.jpeg

1260CEA7-6AA9-462F-BA51-3357D2B0636A.jpeg

C277CAB6-699B-476B-A2DA-F994899D8C16.jpeg

Happy birthday. Cheers!

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhhm.  Looking at about 3/4 inch of Joe's Weller Blend, Gary's Batch 100.2 proof which I cannot bring myself to finish.  Looking for a suitable event - Opening Day win by the Nats over the Mets might count.  Or maybe our 48th wedding anniversary which will happen eight days after my wife's 74th birthday - we plan on celebrating by getting burgers at our favorite restaurant which we haven't been to since FEB 2020.  Got all our shots as of 17 March so we'll be just fine.  Did I mention it has a good bourbon selection AND is five blocks from our house?

In the mean time, I've been sipping on JAM with plenty of ice to ease my sore muscles after a day of pulling honey suckle, dead cherry tree, and wild black berry canes out of a fifty year old Rhododenron - the same rhodo my avatar is sitting in. 

Congrats on getting the second shot! We have several 50 year old Rhodies in our yard and boy is that an amazing tree. Never had to worry about something else growing up within it but we lost half a tree last winter due to heavy snow. Now I know to knock off the snow when that happens. I did join you in the sore back club due to trying to eradicate a heather shoot that is trying to take over a smaller heath. It was worse than I thought and I have more work to do.

On topic, I celebrated my first jab yesterday with some BC Willett 16yr.

• I like it 3

After a lovely spring day and getting a fair amount of yard work done, rewarding myself with a nice pour of a Rutledge OBSO gift shop pick (just under 12 yrs old).  Liquid candy, which is good because they say to replenish liquids, right?  

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

Victory Cigar. Batch 9.  OU won its game in the tourney today. Gotta celebrate this one, because we get the pleasure of playing Gonzaga next 😐

20210320_222525.jpg

That was a great batch, that #9, @Kepler! Glad you're enjoying it. 

FYI, I've got some JMCB batches that will be coming out soon that are going to be between the 127 to 130+ range in proof. If I recall, batch #9 is somewhere around 112 or so? 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 4

Finally (hopefully?) on the mend after some health issues which lead to a long absence from SB, and starting spring off right with this sample from a 13 year 10 month old Bourbon barrel at 133.04 proof from the Jos. Magnus coffers. These high proofers can be really hot, spicy and aggressive and I often end up blending them out, but since this one is most definitely a honey barrel, I plan on earmarking it for something special in the future. I don't know if my i-Phone camera can capture just how thick and rich this pour is and how oily the legs are on it, but I swear it is just like drinking maple syrup, molasses, or honey right out of a glass. 

Happy Sunday to everyone, and hope y'all are imbibing something wonderful. Its great to be back! 🥃🌷

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

• I like it 18

7 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Finally (hopefully?) on the mend after some health issues which lead to a long absence from SB, and starting spring off right with this sample from a 13 year 10 month old Bourbon barrel at 133.04 proof from the Jos. Magnus coffers. These high proofers can be really hot, spicy and aggressive and I often end up blending them out, but since this one is most definitely a honey barrel, I plan on earmarking it for something special in the future. I don't know if my i-Phone camera can capture just how thick and rich this pour is and how oily the legs are on it, but I swear it is just like drinking maple syrup, molasses, or honey right out of a glass. 

Happy Sunday to everyone, and hope y'all are imbibing something wonderful. Its great to be back! 🥃🌷

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

Great seeing you back Nancy!  That looks phenomenal!  I hope go get a chance at a bottle in the near future.

Closed out my bottle of 2019 FR LE tonight.  Sad to see it go, but now I can work on the 2020 version (which I like better anyway).

• I like it 1

Boulevardier.  I've been really enjoying this bottle of MMCS neat but good bourbon really does make a better cocktail...

boulevardier3.jpg

• I like it 5

On 3/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, bayouredd said:

Very Fair Question...

The short answer, No!

Longer version; when opened, it tasted like regular NAS EC, heavily oaked. EC isn't a bad bourbon and I keep one on hand, but the 18yr doesn't offer enough change in profile for me to repeat. It has gotten better with air time, but for my oak craving, KC 12 offers much better flavors, complexity and $30 cheaper...

Granted it's not a bourbon but instead a rye, the KC Rye could quench my thirst for a oaked drink if I was looking for it. That's a bummer too because I love EC. Now I just need to get some perspective on the Toasted Barrel version.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:45 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Open a bottle that you just bought in the parking lot, pour a tiny bit into a plastic cup and try it. 

If you like it,  go back in the store and buy more.  If not, you only dropped money on one bottle.  

😁

hahaha I love this beyond a measurable amount.

• I like it 1

Some ECBP tonight. We, as enthusiasts, nit pick the nuances between batches but to be fair they are all pretty darn good!

20210321_200623.jpg

• I like it 3

42 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Great seeing you back Nancy!  That looks phenomenal!  I hope go get a chance at a bottle in the near future.

Closed out my bottle of 2019 FR LE tonight.  Sad to see it go, but now I can work on the 2020 version (which I like better anyway).

Hey there @Radioyada, just to clarify, are you talking about the J. Henry LE '19 and '20 versions? If so, I completely agree, the '20 version is definitely better. 

Either way, thanks for dropping a line! I'm so happy to be back, and although I'm still not 100%, it feels great to be back on the forum again! 🥃

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

20210320_222525.jpg

Man I was looking everywhere for this but I was only able to find the standard Joseph Magnus. Are they in the same ball park?

58 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

SO HAPPY TO HAVE YOU BACK!

We missed you Nancy.

• I like it 3

On 3/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is hands-down, one of the best barrel-proofers out there, especially for the price, (South of $70.00 here in the Baltimore Metro area). Why the taters haven't ruined this is beyond me.....

I sound like a broken record at this point, but I’ll say it again. I haven’t seen a second bottle of this since my first purchase in 2017. It’s insane. For once I’m ready to pull the clear-the-shelves move whenever I spot it, please don’t judge. 

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

7 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Man I was looking everywhere for this but I was only able to find the standard Joseph Magnus. Are they in the same ball park?

Speaking from memory only as the CG sells out here in Wash DC in a matter of minutes so it's been awhile, BUT -

CG fills the room with a wonderful fragrance within a couple of minutes of having its cork pulled.  The "basic" JAM takes a bit longer to fill the room but is a lot easier to find, relatively.  Complexity?  Ever had a fifty year old port from a good vintage year? How does it compare to a twenty year old from a good vintage year?  I'm old.  I'll settle for the 20 YO AND for the basic JAM unless a 50 YO is gifted OR a Cigar Blend falls in my lap at something close to MSRP, of course.

Tonight it is Wilderness Trail BIB.  I forget the bottle number.  It's in the dining room, and I don't feel like getting up.😉

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey there @Radioyada, just to clarify, are you talking about the J. Henry LE '19 and '20 versions? If so, I completely agree, the '20 version is definitely better. 

Either way, thanks for dropping a line! I'm so happy to be back, and although I'm still not 100%, it feels great to be back on the forum again! 🥃

Cheers,

Nancy

I wish!  Tonight it was the final pour of my 2019 Four Roses LE that I was enjoying, but I would honestly rather have had either of the two you mentioned.

Repeating what others have already said, you have been missed and I am glad to see you back.

• I like it 1

Virtual blind sbs w several friends. 

The First sample's nose had a funk i was not familiar with. Not an enjoyable funk, but weird. Taste was better though, seemed youngish, but still rounded for what I thought was a KY bourbon. The nose remained it's achilles heel, but the palate was enjoyable enough. It turned out to be a SAOS 99.3p 7 year MGP

Second sample had a sweet nose, a fruity, light oak honey cream palate, and a decently long finish. Very nice. Finish was a little more complex that I thought normal, so I guessed it was a finished wheated bourbon, and indeed it was a Makers FAE-01. The group agreed this was the favorite before the pours were revealed. 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

A tough day to be an Illinois alum. 
Pretty tasty cocktail in a bottle though!

8B14B851-CA64-411B-A885-2D037647ADEC.jpeg

Tough weekend to be a big Ten fan all the way around.  Not even going there on my Buckeyes.   Those bottled cocktails are outstanding!   Some of the best I've had.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.