What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is tasting unbelievably good tonight.

The balance of fruit and oak is just perfect for me.

Probably the best “LE” bottle I purchased last year.

65DCA370-C039-4ACA-8A27-085D296E520C.jpeg

• I like it 6

Tonight I bought a bottle I haven't had open at my bar in years -  Four Roses Single Barrel,  not a store pick or an oddball recipe but the standard straight-off-the-Pennsy-State-Store shelf single barrel.    My stars this is good.   This is  bourbon of the highest order,  sweet tobacco and soft leather,  silky and sumptuous.  

Makes me rethink just exactly what's gained by chasing unicorns.   The good stuff is right here,  alongside my easy chair.    

• I like it 9

Decided on Lot B tonight.  Just sitting there, so what the hell.  I find this sort of subtle compared with what I normally go for.   Not in a bad way, just not big or bold.

IMG_20210316_154515354.jpg

• I like it 3

Busy day at work, but a good run and workout afterward so I poured some 2019 Four Roses LE to help wind down the evening.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Might be my favorite LE from last year.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Tonight I bought a bottle I haven't had open at my bar in years -  Four Roses Single Barrel,  not a store pick or an oddball recipe but the standard straight-off-the-Pennsy-State-Store shelf single barrel.    My stars this is good.   This is  bourbon of the highest order,  sweet tobacco and soft leather,  silky and sumptuous.  

Makes me rethink just exactly what's gained by chasing unicorns.   The good stuff is right here,  alongside my easy chair.    

Indeed sir. They fell off their game for a couple years but I noticed last year that they had returned to glory and now always have one on hand again.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Almost 20 years into this Bourbon journey and it is unusual for me not to have a 4R SiB open.  Excellent bourbon at any price and 4R products are my wife’s favorite.  Stupid not to keep her happy.

• I like it 5

On 3/6/2021 at 2:36 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yeah, I muscled through that one too.

I liked #3 and loved #9. 

The problem is getting to try, before committing to a bottle.  If I can't try it elsewhere,  I'll  resort to a parking lot pour, next time.  I've never thought to do that, until revisiting this thread.

What is a parking lot pour?

On 3/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, bayouredd said:

Monday Oak Day!!!

Started with an EC 18 that had a surprising bubble gum note that wasn't there when opened at Christmas. 

On to a KC 12 that just kicked it's a$$ even though the bubble gum is a sought out taste for me.

KC 12 wins the 2nd & 3rd pour. 

Monday may be a bad day for most, but Monday evening is a rip!!!

Would you ever get another EC18?

17 hours ago, AlfaLarreo said:

Almost 20 years into this Bourbon journey and it is unusual for me not to have a 4R SiB open.  Excellent bourbon at any price and 4R products are my wife’s favorite.  Stupid not to keep her happy.

There's no question,  4R makes good bourbon.   I've tended to overlook it in favor of my staples,  WT and OF.    So tonight I'm staging the ultimate Fair Fight -  side by side glasses of my open single barrel Four Roses and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.   Same proof,  same conceit of select honey barrels.  

This is an embarrassment of tremendous, smooth, balanced bourbon.   They present very similarly,  with the WTKS more honeyed,  the 4RSIB more leaning to cinnamon.    But one thing they both have in common -  not even one small trace of peanut.    So that puts 4R, to me,  closer to my staples than Beam or Heaven Hill. 

This is, to me, what classic bourbon tastes like.    The winner of this face off,  for now, is WTKS.   But this 4RSIB is special enough that I should head backie to the packie and see if I can snag a second of the same barrel. 

• I like it 5

39 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Would you ever get another EC18?

Very Fair Question...

The short answer, No!

Longer version; when opened, it tasted like regular NAS EC, heavily oaked. EC isn't a bad bourbon and I keep one on hand, but the 18yr doesn't offer enough change in profile for me to repeat. It has gotten better with air time, but for my oak craving, KC 12 offers much better flavors, complexity and $30 cheaper...

• I like it 1

Mid range proof lovely day...

Started with OF 1920 - It was beautiful

Next Belle Meade Reserve - wonderful

I have had different days where my palate didn't care for either, but 2day they rock

I think I'll try Listerine next. The palate is just so gracious, this day...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Very Fair Question...

The short answer, No!

Longer version; when opened, it tasted like regular NAS EC, heavily oaked. EC isn't a bad bourbon and I keep one on hand, but the 18yr doesn't offer enough change in profile for me to repeat. It has gotten better with air time, but for my oak craving, KC 12 offers much better flavors, complexity and $30 cheaper...

I've set up a number of SBS for guests with EC18 vrs whatever, some shelf bourbons and others under the counter bourbons. EC18 is always lowest score. It's a wonderful pour but doesn't bring anything big so it's always MEH. Not the big EC in my bunker...the old red 12 is. :) 

• I like it 4

On 2/19/2021 at 7:03 PM, Cajuin said:

Coopers Craft  100 proof

Actually much better then expected.

wow, I have to agree.  Has a touch of something, woodford?  great flavors for the price.  tonight had a $70 and two $50 bottles and ended with this coopers which is hands down the best of the bunch.  I like it a lot!!!!

• I like it 1

On 3/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, 0895 said:

stop it, stop it.  don't tell me how great it is cause I can't get it, after lots of effort.  To add insult to injury you show that extra cool cthulhu glass.  now I want one of those, too.

1 minute ago, B.B. Babington said:

stop it, stop it.  don't tell me how great it is cause I can't get it, after lots of effort.  To add insult to injury you show that extra cool cthulhu glass.  now I want one of those, too.

Yeah I know how you feel man. I couldn’t find Cornerstone either.

I’m having a bit of Revival to console myself.

3 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

What is a parking lot pour?

Open a bottle that you just bought in the parking lot, pour a tiny bit into a plastic cup and try it. 

If you like it,  go back in the store and buy more.  If not, you only dropped money on one bottle.  

😁

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5

After the odd Mallet stuff the other day, today's WT 101 tasting soo good.  Next up is nitro stout. 🍀

6 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

There's no question,  4R makes good bourbon.   I've tended to overlook it in favor of my staples,  WT and OF.    So tonight I'm staging the ultimate Fair Fight -  side by side glasses of my open single barrel Four Roses and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.   Same proof,  same conceit of select honey barrels.  

This is an embarrassment of tremendous, smooth, balanced bourbon.   They present very similarly,  with the WTKS more honeyed,  the 4RSIB more leaning to cinnamon.    But one thing they both have in common -  not even one small trace of peanut.    So that puts 4R, to me,  closer to my staples than Beam or Heaven Hill. 

This is, to me, what classic bourbon tastes like.    The winner of this face off,  for now, is WTKS.   But this 4RSIB is special enough that I should head backie to the packie and see if I can snag a second of the same barrel. 

I’m the other way around, not much on WT and big on 4R.  Haven’t had a WTKS in years, so maybe I should revisit that.  It was my favorite of the WT products I’ve tried.  My favorite thing about most 4R SiB  barrels is the vanilla on the finish, although I’m not getting it on my current bottle, which is an Elliott pick from the gift shop.

15 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck locating a bottle.

If you were ever considering paying a slight premium over MSRP, this might be the one to do it on.

It wasn't cheap at retail, but I quickly forgot about that once it was open.

I tried to at least help with the glass (from a local distillery) but they are sold out as well.

(shrug)

Having Joe's "Fake" Weller Blend...

1st - throw a Salute to Joe for inventing Joe's Weller Blend...

2nd - flip Joe the bird for not having the ingredients to concoct Joe's Weller Blend...

3rd - make sure to enjoy the pour of Weller Antique that you do have while watching Springtime take shape

20210318_160629.thumb.jpg.1ddbc20d5569e62d9ab29d0858df21fb.jpg

• I like it 4

13 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Having Joe's "Fake" Weller Blend...

1st - throw a Salute to Joe for inventing Joe's Weller Blend...

2nd - flip Joe the bird for not having the ingredients to concoct Joe's Weller Blend...

3rd - make sure to enjoy the pour of Weller Antique that you do have while watching Springtime take shape

It’s all good redd. It’s all good. 👍😁

Biba!  Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.