What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Bar I'm playing at had some WT101.

Those Austin Nichols NAS WT101s can be awesome.  So much better than current versions and that's a high bar.  I had a couple of pours at a bar a few years ago and was blown away.

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

Working on taking the bottle home with me.

Haha!  I also tried to get them to sell me the rest of the bottle but they wouldn't.  I guess they didn't want to jeopardize their license just to please me, lol. 

An Elijah Craig and a now melted cube after a day in the Sun at the beach.  Even with dilution this EC is holding up extremely well.  Lots of nice wood notes.

653CB364-DF2A-4B19-BE9C-DBB8AB3C8450.jpeg

• I like it 2

I've seen a few folks enjoying RR13, here on SB. Looks nice, very dark, sounds tasty.  Cheers to those that have snagged a bottle and those that will pick one up. 

Alas, no dice for me picking a bottle up.  Nonetheless, I'm loyal to Lawrenceburg,  So tonight I am enjoying a pour from a recently purchased RR10. The age of this bottle was apparent from the opening sip. Will be fun to to explore.  

Happy weekend to all. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt

Just finished watching the Shining movie, the old classic with Jack.  It's been several years since I saw it and Jack is still as devilish as ever 😈

I just poured me some RR10 and listening to some tunes now.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

So tonight I am enjoying a pour from a recently purchased RR10.

Oh wow nice choice, me too!  Great minds right?

That sucks about your luck with RR13.  It will be an annual release though, hope you snag one eventually.

Edited by Kepler

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Oh wow nice choice, me too Great! Great minds right?

That sucks about your luck with RR13.  It will be an annual release though, hope you snag one eventually.

Ha, you bet Great Minds. At least Great Lawrenceburg Men Minds. 😏

Thanks, you never know about the RR13. But, it seems this brand extension is full on Tater. So for me, chances are slim to none.  But, I have several nice 🦃 bottles to enjoy. Including this tasty RR10 , right now. 

Enjoy your tunes. 

Cheers 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
  • I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I've seen a few folks enjoying RR13, here on SB. Looks nice, very dark, sounds tasty.  Cheers to those that have snagged a bottle and those that will pick one up. 

Alas, no dice for me picking a bottle up.  Nonetheless, I'm loyal to Lawrenceburg,  So tonight I am enjoying a pour from a recently purchased RR10. The age of this bottle was apparent from the opening sip. Will be fun to to explore.  

Happy weekend to all. 

Cheers

So I know I've wandered into the bourbon forum. But I had a NAS sib Russels reserve rye the other day that was practically ancient. It was super off profile, but somehow made it into the program. I'd assume they put the older bourbon into the 13, but it never hurts to grab a turkey off the shelf.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Mattk said:

So I know I've wandered into the bourbon forum. But I had a NAS sib Russels reserve rye the other day that was practically ancient. It was super off profile, but somehow made it into the program. I'd assume they put the older bourbon into the 13, but it never hurts to grab a turkey off the shelf.

You are right about RRSiB. Good advice. It can be a really good bottle. Always worth it, to go ahead and pick that up. 

Hang out in the Bourbon corner as long as you like. 😀

Cheers

The RR10 was getting too tannic for my tastes so decided to go with something with a little youthful zest to it.  I poured some OGD114 which hit the spot perfectly but I want something with less heat ... so I added WSR for an impromptu GW4G.  Nice.

• I like it 2

Sipping a bit of MM101...I really think this is the sweet spot for this juice...found another bottle for the bunker tonight, might go back for more Monday...

• I like it 2

Snort of EWBiB, some WT101, now KCSiB. ...yes, back to work tomorrow, gotta enjoy these last few free hours. :D

Having a nice pour of Weller 12 out the freezer while I’m doing some work at my shop this afternoon. 
7C8404F9-48D6-4FE3-8139-1CBDB5F2E8E5.thumb.jpeg.7f7e58d3a298c7ef9530ed77be09f0c6.jpeg

• I like it 9

37 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Having a nice pour of Weller 12 out the freezer while I’m doing some work at my shop this afternoon. 
7C8404F9-48D6-4FE3-8139-1CBDB5F2E8E5.thumb.jpeg.7f7e58d3a298c7ef9530ed77be09f0c6.jpeg

That's doing the freezer bottle in style.

• I like it 3

39 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

That looks absolutely delicious!

• I like it 4

Feeling old again tonight.  Old Grand Dad BIB that is.  Enjoyed one pour, going for another while watching the start of  Game 3 of the NBA Eastern Conference Final.  I only get to watch the 1st quarter since the Good Witch comes on Hallmark, but I will catch the end.

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying the EW 1783 90 proof I picked up today.  Ever since they relaunched, rebranded, or whatever (improved) it has been in my wheelhouse.

• I like it 1

Thanks to the graciousness of a fellow member, I’m having small pours from four Bowman Brothers samples this evening. A nice end to a long, but fairly productive weekend. 🙂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm enjoying the EW 1783 90 proof I picked up today.  Ever since they relaunched, rebranded, or whatever (improved) it has been in my wheelhouse.

I look forward to this hitting shelves in Texas in 6-9 months...

A little OT, went to grab my ETL that I bought in 2019 and went to locate the laser code… None on there… Bought from a reputable LS so I am wondering if I am missing something or what…Only identify marking is a raised “13” underlined on the bottom… Only ETL so I can’t compare… Bought in Michigan … Thanks 

Edited by jnewberg

I’m drinking the Stranahan’s Port Finish. $77 plus tax on Maui.

I’ve only had the Stanahan’s  bourbons on occasional visits to friends in Colorado. I just don’t see them in my neck of the woods in Maryland, which is strange, because I’m temporarily living on Maui and the local liquor store here had it.

Anyway, it’s quite tasty, smooth, perhaps even elegant, but then I’m not getting much more than the sweetness and sugar from the port, which seems to overwhelm the other bourbon flavors. The sweetness could probably be broken down further into other components, like a caramelized sugar flavor, dark molasses (similar to some rums), maple sugar, etc. I guess what I’m saying is that it almost comes across like one of the dark, sweet mixing rums like a Captain Morgan, The Kraken, or a well aged Flor de Cana (one of my favorite sipping rums) rather than a straight bourbon. Nothing wrong with that as it’s quite delicious. I’m just not sure it’s “bourbon” anymore. 😉

I guess I’m a bit old fashioned about this. I realize these barrel aged, barrel finished, barrel whatever versions, have been all the rage for a while now, probably a couple of decades. But I believe that well made single malt scotch, bourbon, rum, cognac, whatever, doesn’t need fancy barrel treatments if it’s well made in the first place. Not that there isn’t a place for it. I just don’t want to be paying 20, 30 or 50% more for mediocre juice that needs a sherry or port barrel to taste good. Just my 2 cents. 

That being said, this is pretty tasty bourbon, or rum, or whatever. Lol

Edited by BourbonDude
Typos

24 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

I’m drinking the Stranahan’s Port Finish. $77 plus tax on Maui.

I’ve only had the Stanahan’s  bourbons on occasional visits to friends in Colorado. I just don’t see them in my neck of the woods in Maryland, which is strange, because I’m temporarily living on Maui and the local liquor store here had it.

Anyway, it’s quite tasty, smooth, perhaps even elegant, but then I’m not getting much more than the sweetness and sugar from the port, which seems to overwhelm the other bourbon flavors. The sweetness could probably be broken down further into other components, like a caramelized sugar flavor, dark molasses (similar to some rums), maple sugar, etc. I guess what I’m saying is that it almost comes across like one of the dark, sweet mixing rums like a Captain Morgan, The Kraken, or a well aged Flor de Cana (one of my favorite sipping rums) rather than a straight bourbon. Nothing wrong with that as it’s quite delicious. I’m just not sure it’s “bourbon” anymore. 😉

I guess I’m a bit old fashioned about this. I realize these barrel aged, barrel finished, barrel whatever versions, have been all the rage for a while now, probably a couple of decades. But I believe that well made single malt scotch, bourbon, rum, cognac, whatever, doesn’t need fancy barrel treatments if it’s well made in the first place. Not that there isn’t a place for it. I just don’t want to be paying 20, 30 or 50% more for mediocre juice that needs a sherry or port barrel to taste good. Just my 2 cents. 

That being said, this is pretty tasty bourbon, or rum, or whatever. Lol

You’re not picking up any bourbon notes because it’s an American Single Malt Whiskey.

• I like it 1

I just had to post an update on my Stranahan’s post.

Haha! The joke’s on me. It actually isn’t the bourbon, it’s the Stranahan’s Single Malt Whisky, 94 proof. No wonder it didn’t taste like a bourbon to me. It’s more like one of the heavy duty port monsters these days, like Glendronach, Balvenie Darkest Port Finish, even the Glenmorangie or Inchmurrin. So the reason it tasted different, is it’s not a bourbon. It’s a scotch. Lol.

Marekv8,

Ha. Just saw your note after I posted my update. Too funny. 

Yeah, I just bought it without looking at the label. Didn’t know they were making a single malt whiskey.

Edited by BourbonDude

Ok, so bottom line on the Stranahan’s…

If you’re a fan of heavily sherried or port finished single malt whisky, you might like this. I find it quite similar to the ones I already mentioned, Glendronach, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, the Inchmurrin 12 years from the early 80s, all of whom have offered these port finished versions. They’re delicious, but I find them a bit one-dimensional, perhaps one reason I’m a fan of the old Islays back when the sherry and port editions weren’t that prevalent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.