What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

56 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. But regarding MM, has anyone besides me noticed that MM has different tops with their products? They all have the wax, but MM and MM 101 have screw tops, and MM 46 has a synthetic cork. I’m not sure about MM  46 CS and Maker’s Private Selection since my bottles of those are gone. Just wondering. 🤔

Biba! Joe

The 375ml bottles of MM46CS and PS have the synthetic corks. I'm assuming the 750s do as well. 

• I like it 1

So my wife scored me a two bottles of Blantons, A gold and a Straight from the barrel.

Got them both in yesterday and a had a A-B comparison.  The gold was first.  Very good with a strong vanilla taste up front. TSFB was second.  At 130 proof it was bit hot but very drinkable.  My wife tried hers first then looked at me and said “I don’t think you should drink this it not very good”.  It was excellent with caramel, vanilla and baking spice notes.  I told her good try but I was not buying it.

633E59AE-0AF8-41FB-B37A-B8F34FF3A11A.jpeg

DEBE1AFF-E721-42C1-B3CA-0E8FA84EE939.jpeg

• I like it 5

Had my 1st taste of OF Statesman. It is nice but I could really taste the youth and lack of complexity compare to the SiB & 1920.

No worries, my next pour was a generous pour of an approximation 50/50 blend of Statesman & 1920...

Very Good!!! What potential!!!

• I like it 3

Old Tub while watching Astros v Cleveland.  OT is my baseball bourbon, peanuts you know. 

• I like it 5

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

I don't even mess with the pull strip on KC wax.  With edge of knife facing away from hand holding bottle, start at shoulder of bottle, work up towards the cap.  After one or two passes, the whole piece of wax comes off easy, in like 30 seconds.

HaHa, I do the same thing.  I peel every bit of wax off the bottle, KC or Maker's Mark, for the very reason Steve mentions.  One can never be too careful when it comes to proper opening and maintenance of a whiskey bottle.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

So my wife scored me a two bottles of Blantons, A gold and a Straight from the barrel.

Got them both in yesterday and a had a A-B comparison.  The gold was first.  Very good with a strong vanilla taste up front. TSFB was second.  At 130 proof it was bit hot but very drinkable.  My wife tried hers first then looked at me and said “I don’t think you should drink this it not very good”.  It was excellent with caramel, vanilla and baking spice notes.  I told her good try but I was not buying it.

633E59AE-0AF8-41FB-B37A-B8F34FF3A11A.jpeg

DEBE1AFF-E721-42C1-B3CA-0E8FA84EE939.jpeg

Your wife did well.  You should convince her to write a book, or blog, on how to be a good Bourbon Lover's wife.  We all love our wives but they sometimes need to see the extra steps that can be taken to support their man.

Edited by mbroo5880i

I am enjoying a follow up pour to a follow up pour of 1792 Single Barrel.  I find 1792 Small Batch too bland and 1792 Full Proof to be a hot mess.  However, I find 1792 Single Barrel, even with barrel variability, to be just right.  This stuff sings at 98.6 proof.  

My wife is watching a Christmas in July movie on Hallmark.  I am going to man up when this is over and ask her if I can watch the local news.

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My wife is watching a Christmas in July movie on Hallmark.  I am going to man up when this is over and ask her if I can watch the local news.

LOL. My wife likes Hallmark movies, and I have to admit I do.  We both have kinda had our fill of all the Xmas in July stuff though. 🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am enjoying a follow up pour to a follow up pour of 1792 Single Barrel.  I find 1792 Small Batch too bland and 1792 Full Proof to be a hot mess.  However, I find 1792 Single Barrel, even with barrel variability, to be just right.  This stuff sings at 98.6 proof.  

I love the 1792 single barrel too, I think it's their best one (maybe tied with their BiB).

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

LOL. My wife likes Hallmark movies, and I have to admit I do.  We both have kinda had our fill of all the Xmas in July stuff though. 🙄

Biba! Joe

Uhmmm...today is only July 2.  😀

You sound like someone who is close to retirement.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

No worries, my next pour was a generous pour of an approximation 50/50 blend of Statesman & 1920...

Ok you're going down that road so you know what comes next:  you have to give it a name! 😉

• I like it 4

29 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Ok you're going down that road so you know what comes next:  you have to give it a name! 😉

How about:

the repealed statesman

or since it's a 50/50 blend the 50 states

or 4th of July blend

or WTH, this is good blend.

etc...

Who knows what name? Name or not I think this may be worth a bigger batch. Happy 4th weekend, all!!!

Long and relaxing day. It continued with a nice pour of a ps 90 proof OFSB on the back patio this evening. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.dcf535186a79a73bb7ea0733865a6ff8.jpeg

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

How about:

the repealed statesman

or since it's a 50/50 blend the 50 states

or 4th of July blend

or WTH, this is good blend.

etc...

Who knows what name? Name or not I think this may be worth a bigger batch. Happy 4th weekend, all!!!

Hmm this one is tougher than most because one of the whiskies in the blend has a number for a name.

Well, OF 1920 also has the subtitle of Prohibition Style. So that might actually work a little easier.

Prohibition States?  Doesn't really roll off the tongue. 

How about Statesman Style?  Kinda has a nice ring to it.

I need to mix myself a blend of this stuff, I bet it's delicious.

• I like it 1

I started off well this long weekend of Summer and America,  arriving at the beach house with a party in swing at the neighbors next door.   So,  to be hospitable,  I brought over some Stitzel - Weller era  Weller Antique107 (my last bottle of a long-ago score),  and a WT  Rare Breed Rye,  which as far as I'm concerned is the very best thing I have to offer.  A  celebratory and mellow  evening under the  night breeze with good spirits and cigars was the result.    

• I like it 6

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

I don't even mess with the pull strip on KC wax.  With edge of knife facing away from hand holding bottle, start at shoulder of bottle, work up towards the cap.  After one or two passes, the whole piece of wax comes off easy, in like 30 seconds.

Huh. Well now I need to try this.

• I like it 3

57 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Hmm this one is tougher than most because one of the whiskies in the blend has a number for a name.

Well, OF 1920 also has the subtitle of Prohibition Style. So that might actually work a little easier.

The 20 States blend.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, bayouredd said:

That I will have to try.   Although Stateman is at a proof I especially like.    My  current open bottle of 1920 is  definitely dryer,  less vanilla and  more leather,  than the Statesman.   The OF mashbill is as good as it gets.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I love the 1792 single barrel too, I think it's their best one (maybe tied with their BiB).

mbroo's post got me to thinking.  (That can be dangerous after I've had a pour or three).

How does everyone rank the various 1792 expressions? Here is my ranking. I've owned them all except for that obscure 225th Anniversary release a few years ago.  I'll set aside the old discontinued Ridgemont and Ridgewood  expressions.

1. Single Barrel 

2. BiB

3. Full Proof (PS much better than regular)

4. High Rye

5. 12 Year

6. Small Batch

7. Sweet Wheat

8.  Port finish

Hopefully not leaving something out here.

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Well,  who was the Statesman who caused Prohibition?     It was Andrew Volstead,  chairman of the House Judiciary Committee who championed the Act that bore his name.

Call it a Virtuous Volstead.   

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

mbroo's post got me to thinking.  (That can be dangerous after I've had a pour or three).

How does everyone rank the various 1792 expressions? Here is my ranking. I've owned them all except for that obscure 225th Anniversary release a few years ago.  I'll set aside the old discontinued Ridgemont and Ridgewood  expressions.

1. Single Barrel 

2. BiB

3. Full Proof (PS much better than regular)

4. High Rye

5. 12 Year

6. Small Batch

7. Sweet Wheat

8.  Port finish

Hopefully not leaving something out here.

I've neither seen nor tried most of these  (Pennsy states stores only seem to stock the small batch),   but I found a bottle of the BIB about a year ago (store pick from Canal's),  and agree that is something special. 

I also recommend the Tom S. Moore Port Cask,  which is intriguing to me for the different way they finish the bourbon.     The usual point of finishing is to impart the grapey notes from the second barrel, so that task is effectively performed in a few months.    But the Tom S. Moore series are left to age in the second barrel for years,  and it seems to me that the end result  lets the bourbon fight back and recover its bourbony-ness from the initial flavor assault of the grape.       

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The 1792 BiB store picks can be amazing as well. 

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, fosmith said:

The 1792 BiB store picks can be amazing as well. 

Recently acquired a K&L BiB PS released earlier this year that I’m looking forward to opening. I’ve heard good things. 

The mother of all pours... Old Forester 86 at LAX. 

C7B7E705-6B05-4662-B65B-A00EE38A7633.thumb.jpeg.6b44424d96bf8c4f5a9c04ea9c1725ac.jpeg

• I like it 4

After "brush clearing" for a couple hours to free up a blackberry patch, I put the last 2 inches of a 750 of OGD BIB in a Tervis Tumbler, filled it to the top with ice, dribbled some simple syrup/fresh mint mix through a strainer, and sat down to relax.  Two hours later, a cat licking my face woke me up - the TT now being mostly water and still almost full - ice does disappear in the Summertime.

Switching to an Irish for the local fire works - Writers Tears Double Oak to finish the bottle.  Which I loved because it is ALMOST like bourbon.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.