What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Started with a Statesman which was better than my 1st try...

Next came the OF 20St Blend...

Damn you Scuba Steve & Dam U FishBowlJoe...

It's looking like the 3 best bourbons in the house are all blends...

KC Blend

ER/BT/Jr Blend

OF 20ST Blend

Noooooooooooo!!!

LOL! We are here to serve!

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, beasled said:

Sipping some 'Baby Baker's', celebrating England reaching the finals of the Euro championship! 

Baby Baker's is right!  That Distiller's Cut blows away Old Tub, BiB, Black or any of the other Jim Beam line, IMO.  I wish they wouldn't have discontinued it.  I'm glad I have a few in my stash..

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Baby Baker's is right!  That Distiller's Cut blows away Old Tub, BiB, Black or any of the other Jim Beam line, IMO.  I wish they wouldn't have discontinued it.  I'm glad I have a few in my stash..

I managed to get a few bottles of it too. We didn't get the Old Tub or BiB in these parts but I guess I ain't missin' much :D

Some Old Fo 86 at the Delta Sky Club in ATL. 
Waving to the GBS crew. 

336DE881-67BB-49BD-885B-D731801664B7.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Waving to the GBS crew. 

Waving back!

All is well after an off palate night last night. 😕 BT in the glass this evening. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Waving to the GBS crew. 

• I like it 1

Started with some Rare Breed.

Finishing with Dant.  

SP Eagle Rare while trying to find something on Netflix to watch. 

• I like it 1

The Mets game got postponed, so having some ER while watching the NBA finals.

IMG_1982.jpg

• I like it 3

I got this as a gift years ago and finally cracked it open.  The nose is amazing = butterscotch & caramel.  Tastes pretty good too - not over-oaked at all.  I'm surprised its so good.

IMG_3631.jpg

• I like it 2

Started with a couple of fingers of 100 proof OFSiB PS, just not doing it for me.  Had a second pour of a couple fingers of RRSiB.  Much better.  Will do additional tasting this weekend, but the OFSiB just seems blah in comparison.  The RRSiB was spicy, and "brighter" with a nicer finish by comparison.  Good to find this out before investing in another bottle of the limited PS OFSiB.

I now know why I prefer my bourbon neat...

Because I can't make an old fashioned worth a sh!+...

Finish work, did a bit of supper shopping & started tipping a bit early. I have been wanting to make burnt sugar to see if it would improve my old fashioned. While it was much improved, it still was, meh!!! Mrs Redd concurred.

I went to a decent pour of SS WR & can't believe how much better it is than my old, crusty fashioned.

I'm thinking the KC12 is next. The sky is the limit from here. 

P.S. Grilled grouper coming up fer supper!!!

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

I now know why I prefer my bourbon neat...

Because I can't make an old fashioned worth a sh!+...

Finish work, did a bit of supper shopping & started tipping a bit early. I have been wanting to make burnt sugar to see if it would improve my old fashioned. While it was much improved, it still was, meh!!! Mrs Redd concurred.

I went to a decent pour of SS WR & can't believe how much better it is than my old, crusty fashioned.

I'm thinking the KC12 is next. The sky is the limit from here. 

P.S. Grilled grouper coming up fer supper!!!

What’s your Old Fashioned recipe? I’ve found it’s not really a decent OF if you don’t have a nice oily twist of orange or lemon peel in it.

I mixed a few ounces of the 1920/Statesmen blend yesterday that I will be tasting tonight. Looking forward to it since it seems to be popular.

7 minutes ago, webfoots said:

What’s your Old Fashioned recipe? I’ve found it’s not really a decent OF if you don’t have a nice oily twist of orange or lemon peel in it.

I mixed a few ounces of the 1920/Statesmen blend yesterday that I will be tasting tonight. Looking forward to it since it seems to be popular.

I've tried orange, lemon, 3 types of cherries, muddling the fruit, not muddling, simple syrup, sugar cubes, all kinds of things. I just can't get it right. It probably isn't really all that bad, except that my Son, my Nephew & my favorite restaurant make them much better than mine...

At least my Sazerac & Whiskey Sour rule!!!

As far as the OF 1920/Statesman blend goes: IT'S REALLY GOOD!!!

Let us hear of your tasting...

Thank you bayouredd. 👍 Your talk of blends has me imbibing in a couple of after work blend pours myself. 😁 I started with my 2021 Weller Blend. Next up was my HH BIB Blend. Both were great, and both have a definite place in my rotation, but I’m truly a Weller Whore. The nod today goes to my Weller Blend. What can I say? 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Considering this was a short week, it sure wasn’t without action.  I work with a lot of product which we import.  The ocean freight situation is a total nuclear fueled dumpster fire.  Business is very good for us, but the challenges are immense.  Soooo, picked up a KC 9 yr to help take the edge off.  Sipping now...screw it, who am I kidding...gulping this whiskey and it’s doing its magic...🤪. Big notice here, is that the wax pull tab pulled away clean and clear.  And, the cork exited without the need of Vicegrips...

Feeling better already!  😁

• I like it 7

35 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Considering this was a short week, it sure wasn’t without action.  I work with a lot of product which we import.  The ocean freight situation is a total nuclear fueled dumpster fire.  Business is very good for us, but the challenges are immense.  Soooo, picked up a KC 9 yr to help take the edge off.  Sipping now...screw it, who am I kidding...gulping this whiskey and it’s doing its magic...🤪. Big notice here, is that the wax pull tab pulled away clean and clear.  And, the cork exited without the need of Vicegrips...

Feeling better already!  😁

Joe, I thoroughly enjoy KC9. I also think it goes great in a cocktail, which I know you appreciate 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Big notice here, is that the wax pull tab pulled away clean and clear.  And, the cork exited without the need of Vicegrips...

Don’t toy with my expectations that way.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Don’t toy with my expectations that way.

I actually had to look at my recently opened (damn near empty!) KC9 and my wax seal too came clean off!  With it being a newer bottle of the 9yr, could it be that the wax peels off clean because it’s “fresher” as in newer wax??

50 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

I actually had to look at my recently opened (damn near empty!) KC9 and my wax seal too came clean off!  With it being a newer bottle of the 9yr, could it be that the wax peels off clean because it’s “fresher” as in newer wax??

Et tu getting my hopes up?

51 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

There might be something to the fresh theory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.