What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple of fingers of 100 proof OFSib PS for the 4th straight day.  Starting to grow on me.  The neck pour, a couple of days back, had a slight fake cherry on the finish and little else was distinguishable.  I haven't tasted that since.  Now, I taste mostly vanilla and graham cracker.  Even at 100 proof, it punches quite a bit.  Not sure if it's the OF profile or this particular single barrel.  I have gone from "meh" to actually looking forward to my next pour, a bit too much.  as of right now, this is a 👍.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The mother of all pours... Old Forester 86 at LAX. 

C7B7E705-6B05-4662-B65B-A00EE38A7633.thumb.jpeg.6b44424d96bf8c4f5a9c04ea9c1725ac.jpeg

Such a great free pour - love the Sky Club well whiskey. 

• I like it 1

I had one last healthy pour from a generously gifted ps Weller FP this evening. Dayum!! X 2. It was fantastic, and I will miss it.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I've been enjoying the EW 1783 lately, and since that's what I have open ...

They dumped some really nice barrels into this.  HH web site says 6-8 years old.  I believe it.  To me, it comes across like a better selection of EW Single Barrel or McKenna B.I.B. (with a slightly lower proof).  Wow, for mid shelf.  Is the boom over.

Happy Independence Day!  🇺🇸  🎆  🎇  ✨

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I've been enjoying the EW 1783 lately, and since that's what I have open ...

They dumped some really nice barrels into this.  HH web site says 6-8 years old.  I believe it.  To me, it comes across like a better selection of EW Single Barrel or McKenna B.I.B. (with a slightly lower proof).  Wow, for mid shelf.  Is the boom over.

Happy Independence Day!  🇺🇸  🎆  🎇  ✨

I think I may have seen that in the State store a week ago.    I haven't opened a bottle of HH bourbon in months  (Pikesville the only HH I keep in rotation).  

Here at the shore I have a fresh bottle of Statesman at the ready, and maybe if I'm out and about  (not a particularly strong possibility, the weather's perfect),  I'll snag a OF1920 and make a Volstead.   

• I like it 1

On a recommend I purchased a WR BFSelect Double Oaked. 

Tried it last night.  No decision yet, time will tell.

• I like it 1

South Park, PA.

USABMX Stars and Stripes National

72 and sunny

Not the best, but you can drink this warm. Beer…. Not so much

C4CCA484-3FC2-4ABB-B6AC-E228DAFBA207.jpeg

• I like it 1

Porch drink while tending smoker on this fine 4th of July - 8.5 lb pork shoulder plus 3 racks is St. Louis ribs. Gonna be eatin  good in this neighborhood! Oh, and this WTRB is going down so easy.

Happy 4th to everyone!

E191BCE4-ACC0-4CBF-BC57-627DEDC7D6B2.thumb.jpeg.b98d5455b4fa094e4519233780248329.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 6

22 hours ago, Richdel said:

A couple of fingers of 100 proof OFSib PS for the 4th straight day.  Starting to grow on me.  The neck pour, a couple of days back, had a slight fake cherry on the finish and little else was distinguishable.  I haven't tasted that since.  Now, I taste mostly vanilla and graham cracker.  Even at 100 proof, it punches quite a bit.  Not sure if it's the OF profile or this particular single barrel.  I have gone from "meh" to actually looking forward to my next pour, a bit too much.  as of right now, this is a 👍.

I get this with lots of the current OF releases - first sip is MEH.  The rest of the bottle is better than average to exquisite.  Go figure.  Can that little bit of air be the difference?

• I like it 1

I’m not a fan of it neat or over ice, but it makes an okay mixer.  It will do as an opening salvo for the 4th.

C9B0B581-90C4-4361-96BB-5B929AE5FDDF.jpeg

• I like it 2

For about the same price as Benchmark, I can get several other bottom shelters I like better.  YMMV, so buy what you like, not what’s the topic of the day.

Sipping on a freshly purchased WTRB and am loving it which is a huge relief.  My last bottle was just not good. You all know that I'm a huge Lawrenceburg man so to have a bottle of WTRB that tasted like wet cardboard just challenged me in every way because this brand is always great for me. I figured it had to be me but after about the 10th try with it still tasting the same I gave up and drain poured it. Never thought that would happen with a Turkey product. Well, my faith is still high in this distillery so I bought another today and ahhhhhh, that's better - there it is.

• I like it 3

Some Blanton’s gold to celebrate a long holiday Sunday, which started early this morning with a successful running of the Peachtree Road Race. 

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

South Park, PA.

USABMX Stars and Stripes National

72 and sunny

Not the best, but you can drink this warm. Beer…. Not so much

C4CCA484-3FC2-4ABB-B6AC-E228DAFBA207.jpeg

Even in the heat, I tend to prefer bourbon over beer.  Of course, frosty cold brew is always good.

Tell Kenny I said hi!  If this seems random, think location.

10 hours ago, dwg13013 said:

On a recommend I purchased a WR BFSelect Double Oaked. 

Tried it last night.  No decision yet, time will tell.

I really struggled with my first WR DO and then WR DDO.  Of course, I am a Cheap Bastard and also someone who wants instant gratification.  That latter two points are tongue in cheek.  Although I really am cheap.  Anyway, in both instances, I found setting them aside for awhile really helped.  I am not sure if it was air time.  A controversial take on bourbon influence.  I tend to think it is more my palate at the time.  I find I enjoy certain profiles more depending on the time of year.  

If nothing else, if you like cocktails, it will make great manhattans or old fashioned. Nothing wrong with enjoying quality bourbon or whiskey in a cocktail.  

• I like it 1

After dinner, out on the patio. Taconic Distillery Bourbon. Kids and friends are hopping between the pool and the hot tub. Pool is 80 and hot tub 104. Listening to some ultra local fireworks shows. Oh, and the Allman Brothers too!

76A7C270-E842-4123-A9E9-127A7BA8615C.thumb.jpeg.616641431d215cd219468063a8c3ff24.jpeg98D0FBF0-C56B-440F-8E52-FB6B5F06E2BA.thumb.jpeg.142c23d68473bec2c0d07268df01288e.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 4

16 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Some Blanton’s gold to celebrate a long holiday Sunday, which started early this morning with a successful running of the Peachtree Road Race. 

10K? Power to you brother!  I run but only because I need it for conditioning for soccer.  5K, 7K...ok.  10K?  6+ miles is a lot in the heat.

You deserve a pour or two of Blanton's Gold and whatever else you want tonight.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I get this with lots of the current OF releases - first sip is MEH.  The rest of the bottle is better than average to exquisite.  Go figure.  Can that little bit of air be the difference?

I sometimes have the same experience.  I chalk it up to the power of positive thinking.  The first sip is ???  However, I know OF is better than this.  Then the second pour is "Yeah, that's what I am talking about."  Week or two later, I am "What happened to this bottle? It is empty!"  That only applies to OF100.  The other bottles seem to evaporate steadily but more slowly.  I assume higher priced bottles (not just proof) evaporate more slowly.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Sipping on a freshly purchased WTRB and am loving it which is a huge relief.  My last bottle was just not good. You all know that I'm a huge Lawrenceburg man so to have a bottle of WTRB that tasted like wet cardboard just challenged me in every way because this brand is always great for me. I figured it had to be me but after about the 10th try with it still tasting the same I gave up and drain poured it. Never thought that would happen with a Turkey product. Well, my faith is still high in this distillery so I bought another today and ahhhhhh, that's better - there it is.

Steve, you should have a second pour tonight just to confirm.  Besides you worked hard this week so you deserve it.

I will say I felt a tear well up in my eye just now.  I am not sure if it is due to watching the fireworks over NYC or hearing that you drain poured a bottle of WTRB.  Of course, you said after the 10th try so maybe that was not a lot of America's finest.   

12 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

After dinner, out on the patio. Taconic Distillery Bourbon. Kids and friends are hopping between the pool and the hot tub. Pool is 80 and hot tub 104. Listening to some ultra local fireworks shows. Oh, and the Allman Brothers too!

76A7C270-E842-4123-A9E9-127A7BA8615C.thumb.jpeg.616641431d215cd219468063a8c3ff24.jpeg98D0FBF0-C56B-440F-8E52-FB6B5F06E2BA.thumb.jpeg.142c23d68473bec2c0d07268df01288e.jpeg

The Allman Brothers.  One of the greatest concerts I ever went to.

• I like it 1

Sitting out back with some 1792 BiB watching all the neighborhood fireworks tonight.

• I like it 2

Checking out everyone else's pours tonight to see how everyone is celebrating the birth of the greatest country in the history of the world.  The reason is simple.  Just like this country, our diversity, interests, and experiences may and should differ but in the end we are united by a common ideology - freedom.  Enjoy this day and all days.  Enjoy bourbon and whatever else has brought us together as a community.

Tonight, I am enjoying Four Roses Small Batch Select.  Anything Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Indiana Straight Bourbon, Colorado Straight Bourbon, Tennessee Straight Whiskey, name the state of origin, is  befitting of celebration.  This includes Coors, Budweiser, Miller, microbrews...remember the sacrifices, celebrate freedom, and enjoy life!

• I like it 7

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

Checking out everyone else's pours tonight to see how everyone is celebrating the birth of the greatest country in the history of the world.  The reason is simple.  Just like this country, our diversity, interests, and experiences may and should differ but in the end we are united by a common ideology - freedom.  Enjoy this day and all days.  Enjoy bourbon and whatever else has brought us together as a community.

Tonight, I am enjoying Four Roses Small Batch Select.  Anything Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Indiana Straight Bourbon, Colorado Straight Bourbon, Tennessee Straight Whiskey, name the state of origin, is  befitting of celebration.  This includes Coors, Budweiser, Miller, microbrews...remember the sacrifices, celebrate freedom, and enjoy life!

Definitely not a scotch, or British beer night.  Freedom has never been free.

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, dwg13013 said:

Definitely not a scotch, or British beer night.  Freedom has never been free.

So, true, my friend.  The sacrifice from the beginning is beyond all of our comprehension.  We should always cherish those who sacrificed and continue to sacrifice.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, ThomasGazelle said:

I’m not a fan of it neat or over ice, but it makes an okay mixer.  It will do as an opening salvo for the 4th.

C9B0B581-90C4-4361-96BB-5B929AE5FDDF.jpeg

I have heard of vodka spiked watermelon.  Maybe you could add bourbon to the watermelon.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.