What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got a bottle of Kentucky Vintage, Old Charter 8 yr and Wild Turkey 101.  For an 80 proof bourbon that Old Charter sure is good. 

• I like it 1

I was in Pleasantville (New Jersey) earlier this week and was grinning when there on the shelf were a couple of bottles of Smoke Wagon Small Batch.   Having liberated them,  I am now sipping this oily blend of 5 - 6 year MGP high-rye (36%) MGP bourbon.     Just wonderful,   it is so drinkable I won't proof , water or ice  it down even in this evening's 90 degree weather.   

I'll need to do a side by side this weekend with another MGP blend that my son brought me for Father's Day,   Hirsch's Horizon.    This is also a blend of MGP barrels aged 5 - 6 years,   but the bulk of it is MGP's lower-rye bourbon mashbill, with only 6% being the high-rye variety.    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

34 minutes ago, The camaro show said:

I had a Buffalo trace Manhattan last night 

Great pic! Vacation, or?

Biba! Joe

Finally got my hands on a Maker's Mark 46, CS

I wish it was buy 2 for $74, but it was placed in the wrong space

$59.99 

MM46 CS.jpg

Edited by LGC
  • I like it 2

I had to go out to take care of some bidness this afternoon. I visited a couple of offices (thankfully in the same building, and very close to my house) to touch base on a few things regarding retirement, medicare, insurance, financial planning, etc. You know, all the fun s**t. 🤬😖😬 I finally got home and I’m having a pour of MM. It’s just a small pour though, ‘cause I might be going out again later. 😒🤔🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

On 6/29/2021 at 1:50 PM, wildcatdon said:

Just got a bottle of Kentucky Vintage, Old Charter 8 yr and Wild Turkey 101.  For an 80 proof bourbon that Old Charter sure is good. 

OC10 @ 86 proof is one of my favorites.  I remember buying several bottles before it started to disappear.  I doubt I will find any more I fear.  Sorry, I was hitting the rhyme in the VBT thread this time.

As for me, on my second pour.  I will tell you no more other than I am certainly glad that my second pour is Old Grand Dad.  Not that the first pour was poor, but alas, the bottle is empty and I had no more.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, The camaro show said:

I had a Buffalo trace Manhattan last night 

8E4D7894-86A6-4BEF-A31C-D5F8F44AD268.jpeg

Two forks and a table cloth, quite fancy!  Did you make your table mate move for the photo?

Seriously, great view.  Nice pour!

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to go out to take care of some bidness this afternoon. I visited a couple of offices (thankfully in the same building, and very close to my house) to touch base on a few things regarding retirement, medicare, insurance, financial planning, etc. You know, all the fun s**t. 🤬😖😬 I finally got home and I’m having a pour of MM. It’s just a small pour though, ‘cause I might be going out again later. 😒🤔🙄

Biba! Joe

I suspect the next few months pre-retirement will be quite busy.  You deserve a pour or two.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, LGC said:

Finally got my hands on a Maker's Mark 46, CS

I wish it was buy 2 for $74, but it was placed in the wrong space

$59.99 

MM46 CS.jpg

So, you paid $59.99 for one bottle of MM46CS instead of $39.99 for MMCS?   I think you still did good.  I am not a fan of regular MM46 but MM46 @ CS, regardless of the stave mix is usually pretty good.  It is also usually $69.99 in my area.  You got a great price and I venture to guess a very good bottle of bourbon.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I suspect the next few months pre-retirement will be quite busy.  You deserve a pour or two.

Two months from tomorrow.🤞 😬

• I like it 4

I've really been liking this EW 1783.  Last time I was at the grocery, it was sold out.  I hope HH can continue to put quality aged barrels in future batches.

After a vacation trip out to California with my wife, I’m taking the last couple of days off the week off at home.  This combo is quick nice this afternoon.

373D684F-7B56-4838-9E75-884C3EAE5CBA.jpeg

• I like it 6

I had a somewhat lengthy telemeeting this morning. More retirement stuff. 🤯 After the meeting I got a couple of small chores done around the house. I then had an after lunch pour of my 2021 Weller Blend on the patio to wind down. Might be doing it again later. My wife and I are gonna tackle mowing and trimming the lawn in a bit. We figured we better get it done ahead of the forecasted warm weather headed our way, and the July 4th weekend. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

27 minutes ago, BigRich said:

After a vacation trip out to California with my wife, I’m taking the last couple of days off the week off at home.  This combo is quick nice this afternoon.

373D684F-7B56-4838-9E75-884C3EAE5CBA.jpeg

Rich, any OBSV is a solid choice. I'm sure this GBS pick is stellar!

• I like it 1

Busy afternoon, finished up with a pour of JB Distiller's Cut. This has gotten so good with time, and is near the end. In fact, tonight might be the night; looking like a beautiful night for cigars on the patio...

• I like it 3

Kicking off a long 4-day Independence Day weekend with a freshly opened MMCS.  I really like this whiskey, and have enjoyed every release.  But, almost as enjoyable to me is how easily the tear strip pulls through with such a clean cut through the wax... like Buttah!!  

FD046E5E-17B0-4D24-B479-75624F4648BD.jpeg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had a somewhat lengthy telemeeting this morning. More retirement stuff. 🤯 After the meeting I got a couple of small chores done around the house. I then had an after lunch pour of my 2021 Weller Blend on the patio to wind down. Might be doing it again later. My wife and I are gonna tackle mowing and trimming the lawn in a bit. We figured we better get it done ahead of the forecasted warm weather headed our way, and the July 4th weekend. 

Biba! Joe

I don't know about you but the original forecast last weekend was temperatures in the 70s on the 4th of July.  Now, we are looking at temperatures in the upper 80s and high humidity.  Tonight, the dew point and low temperature will both be in the 50s.  There is a nice cool breeze on the deck.  I took today and tomorrow off to make it a 5-day weekend.  Lots of yard work in the forecast but on my schedule.

Tonight, I whipped out the remaining pour from a bottle of OGD.  I followed with a couple of pours of KC12.  Curses to this bourbon.  It is like Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one.

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Kicking off a long 4-day Independence Day weekend with a freshly opened MMCS.  I really like this whiskey, and have enjoyed every release.  But, almost as enjoyable to me is how easily the tear strip pulls through with such a clean cut through the wax... like Buttah!!  

Everything looks perfect in this picture!

Just sat in on a Zoom blind bourbon tasting for Smugglers Notch Distillery (Vermont) coordinated by the Amazing Ribs Pitmaster Club. Almost 2 hours, had access to ask questions of the distiller/owner and his assistant for the whole time. Tried a 2.5y bourbon, 2 3.5yr bourbons, and a 4.5 yr bourbon, each from single barrels. They sent us 4x 50ml bottles of bourbon and 1x 50ml bottle of vodka. Drank the bourbon, saving the vodka for my wife. Was a little surprised given the ages, 3 of the 4 bourbons were really good.

31281B2E-1AA1-45D3-9117-C8E4D911407F.thumb.jpeg.c6b382c5b293fa4e4c65843c25090013.jpeg6D3C1C93-115F-4ECA-A829-428D434AE477.thumb.jpeg.e17612e28fe2ed1a029f16b47fae9536.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Really need them to teach Beam how to do the wax with Knob Creek. I'm so tired of the black wax explosions.

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, flahute said:

Really need them to teach Beam how to do the wax with Knob Creek. I'm so tired of the black wax explosions.

I just get the paring knife and whittle it off like taking the bark off a twig.  Works for me.

16 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I just get the paring knife and whittle it off like taking the bark off a twig.  Works for me.

Kudos to you sir but I see too much effort! The Makers wax is soooooo smooth.

But let's extrapolate forward a bit. Even after I clean up the initial black wax explosion I still have to watch for the itty bitty black wax bits that drop off the neck and into my glass when I pour. Happens all the time! Then I need to waste time fishing it out.

• I like it 1

I don't even mess with the pull strip on KC wax.  With edge of knife facing away from hand holding bottle, start at shoulder of bottle, work up towards the cap.  After one or two passes, the whole piece of wax comes off easy, in like 30 seconds.

• I like it 3

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. But regarding MM, has anyone besides me noticed that MM has different tops with their products? They all have the wax, but MM and MM 101 have screw tops, and MM 46 has a synthetic cork. I’m not sure about MM  46 CS and Maker’s Private Selection since my bottles of those are gone. Just wondering. 🤔

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.