What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Amazing sight here on the beach between  Ocean City an Sea Isle.   After the big town shows ended around 9:15,   the amateur shows broke out all up and down the beach,  real big shows with rockets galore.    The old timers said it used be like that years ago.     

The dram tonight is Three Chord Twelve-Bar Reserve.       

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Sipping on a freshly purchased WTRB and am loving it which is a huge relief.  My last bottle was just not good. You all know that I'm a huge Lawrenceburg man so to have a bottle of WTRB that tasted like wet cardboard just challenged me in every way because this brand is always great for me. I figured it had to be me but after about the 10th try with it still tasting the same I gave up and drain poured it. Never thought that would happen with a Turkey product. Well, my faith is still high in this distillery so I bought another today and ahhhhhh, that's better - there it is.

RE:  This and a couple posts by others who responded -- that cardboard note pops up with "corked" wines. too.  Two thoughts occurred to me.  FIRST, circa 2014, WT products, to me, seemed flat or "off" except for the dusty products on the shelf.  The "off" tastes coincided with the disappearance of WT Rye 101 from retail shelves.  They didn't recover until circa 2017 or so.  Second, maybe you got one of those bottles, like I have gotten on more than a few occasions with WT products pre-2020, on which the cork composite is split, less than firm, apparently too short, loose, soft, or otherwise lacking in observable reassurance. 

As you are aware, I am an OGD BIB whore, but WT 101 KSBW has worked its way into my heart AND my chairside trash can the last couple months.  Indeed, recently, I've been buying one WT KSBW 101 for every twp OGDs.

Don't tell nobody that I straying.:o

Uh, tonight it was pre-dinner OGD BIB then OGD BIB while grilling a pork loin then 4R YL 80 in mint juleps then OGD BIB while typing this.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
taking out extry letttttersss.
  • I like it 6

I was thinking about Steve's off bottle of WTRB.  Before I read Harry's post, I suspected bad cork.  We're talking about a batched product.  I don't think they'd make a whole bad batch.

I'm quite enjoying this regular MM.  It goes with the hot weather.  I did hard yard work today, at least the earlier part of the day.

P.S.  I got this super cheap on sale, like $16 and change. 😁

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The Allman Brothers.  One of the greatest concerts I ever went to.

Amen.  Best concert I ever saw, and I have been to many of their shows, as well as many other artist's concerts.

3/20/2009 - at the Beacon Theater during their 40th anniversary stay at the Beacon, most of the 2nd half of the show was performed

with Eric Clapton.  Three of the greatest Rock and Roll guitarists on stage at once, sublime.  Listen to that show (still) quite often.  It has become

a staple at our tailgate, as 4 of the 5 attendee's of our tailgate were at that show.

• I like it 3

On 7/3/2021 at 8:15 AM, Rhettro said:

Recently acquired a K&L BiB PS released earlier this year that I’m looking forward to opening. I’ve heard good things. 

The one I had was a Plumpjack W&S pick.  I also got one of that K&L pick but haven't opened it yet.  I've yet to go wrong with a K&L pick.  Their buyers are very knowledgeable and passionate about the products they sell.  Unfortunately (fortunately for me 🙂), they don't ship nationwide. 

• I like it 1

In the pic below:

Me and Mike(Galvin0791) at the family get together at his house yesterday. In the glass is a pour in honor of Gary(Vosgar). Here’s the backstory. In 2018, Gary happened to be at a liquor store when they had an unexpected drop of Pappy & BTAC. He let us know and we hightailed over there. I was able to get a 2018 WLW, and Mike got a 2018 GTS. So yesterday, Mike insisted that we needed to have a pour in Gary’s honor. He opened the aforementioned GTS, and that is what is in our glasses. Thanks again for the thoughtfulness Mike. 

Cheers Gary! We miss you brother. 

Joe and Mike

image.thumb.jpeg.6a5702fa60ae290575629a2196b793ce.jpeg

• I like it 22

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Steve, you should have a second pour tonight just to confirm.  Besides you worked hard this week so you deserve it.

I will say I felt a tear well up in my eye just now.  I am not sure if it is due to watching the fireworks over NYC or hearing that you drain poured a bottle of WTRB.  Of course, you said after the 10th try so maybe that was not a lot of America's finest.   

Ha! After trying small sips of WTRB, 4RSiB, KC12 and OF Statesmen I settled on a proper pour of WTRB and it was excellent all the way to the last drop so confirmation is complete. Yeah, I really couldn't believe I had to drain pour one of these. That's why I gave it so many chances. Must have been a fluke situation.

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

RE:  This and a couple posts by others who responded -- that cardboard note pops up with "corked" wines. too.  Two thoughts occurred to me.  FIRST, circa 2014, WT products, to me, seemed flat or "off" except for the dusty products on the shelf.  The "off" tastes coincided with the disappearance of WT Rye 101 from retail shelves.  They didn't recover until circa 2017 or so.  Second, maybe you got one of those bottles, like I have gotten on more than a few occasions with WT products pre-2020, on which the cork composite is split, less than firm, apparently too short, loose, soft, or otherwise lacking in observable reassurance. 

As you are aware, I am an OGD BIB whore, but WT 101 KSBW has worked its way into my heart AND my chairside trash can the last couple months.  Indeed, recently, I've been buying one WT KSBW 101 for every twp OGDs.

Don't tell nobody that I straying.:o

Uh, tonight it was pre-dinner OGD BIB then OGD BIB while grilling a pork loin then 4R YL 80 in mint juleps then OGD BIB while typing this.

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

I was thinking about Steve's off bottle of WTRB.  Before I read Harry's post, I suspected bad cork.  We're talking about a batched product.  I don't think they'd make a whole bad batch.

I'm quite enjoying this regular MM.  It goes with the hot weather.  I did hard yard work today, at least the earlier part of the day.

P.S.  I got this super cheap on sale, like $16 and change. 😁

Ah yes - I had not thought of a cork issue but that is the likely culprit. I agree with Paul that there's no way a large batch of that would get out the door.

I had forgotten about Harry's experiences with Turkey products so thanks for that reminder. (And mum's the word on the WT101 trash can bottle. It will be our secret.)

• I like it 4

We're down here on Block Island, RI for our annual vacation for the Fourth of July week.  Took the grandkids to the on-island parade today (another chance for the kids to get free candy).  But this parade was very special - the theme was "Celebrating Amorica" and one of the "floats" had people signing patriotic songs, including "America The Beautiful".

Did you know there are actually four (4) verses?  But the second verse was particularly significant (to me at least) for this troubled year, having forgotten it from so many years ago.

"O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law! "

I had to look it up to be sure I got it right.  But the last four lines were very poignant to me today, standing in the street with 3 of my 5 grandkids.  Sometimes us old folks have some good stuff to say, eh?     😁

Oh, and I did share a wee dram of L&K WFP last night with my son-in-law, too.  🤩

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 10

Lovely long weekend; I'm hoping everyone's was safe, fun & free...

3rd: Good Ol' Burgers from the grill, with fries, sausage, potatoes salad, brussels sprout - Dettling 111 & KC Blend

4th: Brunch with Burnt Old Fashioned x2, Later just nibbled & mixed up some Sazeracs for me & Mrs Redd

5th: Ending the weekend with ribeyes on the grill, air fried mini potatoes, eggs & Henry Mc in the glass

• I like it 3

Yesterday for the holiday - went over to the neighbor's house and he grilled some amazing burgers and brats. I figured we needed to celebrate in general due to normalcy returning for all of us so I brought over the last two pours of GTS '20 and we polished it off after a dessert of rhubarb crisp and caramel ice cream.

• I like it 6

Opened this 2015-06 Noe Secret last night at a friend's and thought it was decent but it had a lot of stuff to fight with (including the latest Booker's, a hazmat GTS, KoK, etc.).

Came back to it tonight and this stuff is fantastic. Lots of caramel and red fruits and just a hint of that "yeasty/nutty" Beam thing. Distinct raspberry on the nose.

It was apparently a "roundtable" pick.

20210705_205835.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 4

On 7/4/2021 at 10:34 PM, PaulO said:

On 7/5/2021 at 11:45 AM, flahute said:

Ah yes - I had not thought of a cork issue but that is the likely culprit. I agree with Paul that there's no way a large batch of that would get out the door.

I had forgotten about Harry's experiences with Turkey products so thanks for that reminder. (And mum's the word on the WT101 trash can bottle. It will be our secret.)

Yeah probably the cork.  I've had 2-3 older bottles of the "3RB" batch of Rare Breed that tasted like they had some cork taint or air in the bottle issues.   On a new bottle, a bad cork does seem like the most likely explantion.

I had a great holiday long weekend visiting my family out of state.  Enjoyed some pours with my brother on the weekend, ... various RR single barrels, WT WB Saffell, Weller 12, and some  others.  We didn't bring any spectacular bottles this time but because it was with family it was still special. 

Now back home and it was nice to have the day off today before going back to work tomorrow.  Enjoying some JB Distiller's Cut this afternoon while just hanging out with the dog.  It's been a nice last few days overall. 

• I like it 8

Been a while since I've poured any Weller 12 neat - mainly because it hasn't been right in my wheelhouse (more of an OWA guy), but it hit all the right notes tonight.  Caramel with spice, approachable without having more oak than I normally like.  Not sure if the stars aligned tonight or if my palate has tilted on its axis, but really digging it.

• I like it 4

24 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Been a while since I've poured any Weller 12 neat - mainly because it hasn't been right in my wheelhouse (more of an OWA guy), but it hit all the right notes tonight.  Caramel with spice, approachable without having more oak than I normally like.  Not sure if the stars aligned tonight or if my palate has tilted on its axis, but really digging it.

Sounds like we may be similar in process but opposite in outcome with respect to our Weller preferences.  I could have made the exact same post as yours but would have substituted your OWA for W12.  I seemingly always enjoy W12.  But  only when my palate is in a certain (rare) mood does it prefer OWA.  When it does, OWA is simply spectacular. 

• I like it 2

Sipping on some Bakers after spending a few hours fixing a non functioning ac unit.  The air is cool and the bourbon is smooth, life is good.

• I like it 6

Having some Ezra Brooks BP store pick tonight.  Red fruit followed by like an oily black pepper-ness?  Pretty darn good and punches above it's weight for $30.

• I like it 1

Sipping some 'Baby Baker's', celebrating England reaching the finals of the Euro championship! 

Cheers 🍻 

20210707_232012~2.jpg

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 6

Started with a Statesman which was better than my 1st try...

Next came the OF 20St Blend...

Damn you Scuba Steve & Dam U FishBowlJoe...

It's looking like the 3 best bourbons in the house are all blends...

KC Blend

ER/BT/Jr Blend

OF 20ST Blend

Noooooooooooo!!!

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Started with a Statesman which was better than my 1st try...

Next came the OF 20St Blend...

Damn you Scuba Steve & Dam U FishBowlJoe...

It's looking like the 3 best bourbons in the house are all blends...

KC Blend

ER/BT/Jr Blend

OF 20ST Blend

Noooooooooooo!!!

Hee hee hee hee. 😙

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4R OBSV for the evening.  Toasting a dear uncle who past away with all of the family in lieu of a service, his request.  

1ABBF0FA-F52F-40B1-9801-EBC574E78966.jpeg

• I like it 5

I opened my first new label WT101.  Tastes the same as before - good.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.