What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Trying some Old Forester SiB Barrel Strength for the first time. A store near me finally received their store pick, and I am liking it. 

Good pour to start the NFL season with. 

Hight Test Bourbon - like this Thursday night football matchup.

• I like it 2

I’m having a pour from a newly purchased ps Yellowstone Select. The label say distilled and aged in KY, bottled by Limestone Branch. It’s 5 years old and 93 proof. It drinks a little hotter than it’s proof, and is a bit dry and tannic. There are flavors present that I just can’t quite put my finger on. The taste seems familiar, but then again, I just ain’t quite sure. :unsure: I’m probably gonna give this one some air time to see if it changes any. This one is a fence rider right now. Not great, not bad, and not meh. 🤔 Does that make any sense? :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Enjoying a delicious Negroni on my back patio while waiting for the coals to get hot.  Now, before you all jump on me for posting about a gin cocktail in this thread, I offer the following mitigating factors.  1. It's made with New Riff gin, which is delicious and the whole bourbon community seems to be over the moon for New Riff.  And, 2., the gin is finished in used bourbon barrels which give it a slightly oaky, vanilla quality that plays nicely with the floral character of the underlying gin.  But to be on the safe side, I'm now putting on my Nomex suit... 

negroni.jpg

new riff gin.jpg

• I like it 4

Time and air...

Since I'm not a die hard rye fan, l gave a bottle of Lot 40 to a friend.  He had it about 2 years and I found it in his garage with about 2 or 3 pours left in it.  He said 'kill that bottle if you want'.  What a pleasure that whiskey was.  Just the right spice and floral notes to make you say WOW.  What a difference time and air makes.

Then we killed a bottle of RR SiB, just to stay on track!

• I like it 6

Not a Bucs fan, but this pour is apropo for tonight.

I bought this one a while back, and forgot that I have it.

It ain't bad.

Edit: Hail To The Redskins!

20210909_215126.jpg

20210909_215134.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a pour from a newly purchased ps Yellowstone Select. The label say distilled and aged in KY, bottled by Limestone Branch. It’s 5 years old and 93 proof. It drinks a little hotter than it’s proof, and is a bit dry and tannic. There are flavors present that I just can’t quite put my finger on. The taste seems familiar, but then again, I just ain’t quite sure. :unsure: I’m probably gonna give this one some air time to see if it changes any. This one is a fence rider right now. Not great, not bad, and not meh. 🤔 Does that make any sense? :huh:

Biba! Joe

I see the new incarnation of that brand often, and more than one version.  It's priced double or more than stuff I know is good, or the same as something really good.  I guess it's sourced from somewhere.  Retired Joe, taking one for the team.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not a Bucs fan, but this pour is apropo for tonight.

I bought this one a while back, and forgot that I have it.

It ain't bad.

Edit: Hail To The Redskins!

20210909_215126.jpg

20210909_215134.jpg

Hail indeed. From one Washington fan to another, cheers!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I see the new incarnation of that brand often, and more than one version.  It's priced double or more than stuff I know is good, or the same as something really good.  I guess it's sourced from somewhere.  Retired Joe, taking one for the team.

the Juice comes from Luxco, where they got it, who knows.

It's $40 in Ohio - I find consistency and value in the barrel picks for that price.

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Rumor is the Yellowstone store picks are HH wheated bourbon.  Just what I've been hearing, so that's not worth a whole lot.

I do find quite a bit of similarity to Larceny and Larceny BP when pairing them up next to each other.

I've probably tried close to 10 different Yellowstone store picks.  Two of them have been good enough that I wanted a bottle of my own, and even then I didn't feel like chasing the one down.

The other 8-ish were average or less, buy that's just my take.

As for the yearly limited edition Yellowstones, I don't personally think they taste wheated at all.  More like nutty Jim Beam or Heaven Hill bourbon.

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

5 hours ago, geclbxf said:

the Juice comes from Luxco, where they got it, who knows.

It's $40 in Ohio - I find consistency and value in the barrel picks for that price.

24 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Rumor is the Yellowstone store picks are HH wheated bourbon.  Just what I've been hearing, so that's not worth a whole lot.

I do find quite a bit of similarity to Larceny and Larceny BP when pairing them up next to each other.

I've probably tried close to 10 different Yellowstone store picks.  Two of them have been good enough that I wanted a bottle of my own, and even then I didn't feel like chasing the one down.

The other 8-ish were average or less, buy that's just my take.

As for the yearly limited edition Yellowstones, I don't personally think they taste wheated at all.  More like nutty Jim Beam or Heaven Hill bourbon.

The price was actually okay @PaulO .  A 5 year old ps bourbon for $37.99 ain’t too bad. That’s a pretty decent price around here. 

Somewhat surprisingly, my very first thoughts line up with what @Clueby posted. Beam or HH immediately came to mind first. The nose is more Beam. Nutty and spicy. The flavor is a bit the same, with a very muted hint of fruit. The fruit flavor is not like the normal citrusy flavor that I sometimes associate with some HH products. It’s different. More like fruit cocktail perhaps? 

As to what @geclbxf posted, it could very well be distillate from MGP/Luxco/Limestone Branch. I also thought about Bardstown Bourbon Company. Perhaps we’ll never know.🤔

Biba! Joe

To confuse matters further, Luxco has been distilling just about long enough to have barrels ready.  Or it could be a little of this, a little of that, as long as everything made in KY 🤔.

I'm interested to read any tasting notes of stuff I have not tried.  Sometimes I even get convinced out of my comfort zone.

Keep in mind, mbroo5880i and I are the dueling banjos of the cheapskate contest 🤣🪕.

• I like it 2

Beer Nuts Bar Mix, EWBiB w/ginger, and Tedeschi Trucks Band sitting out on the half finished paver patio on a really beautiful evening.

• I like it 8

On 9/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, FacePlant said:

It looks like you took my tongue in cheek literally. :) ...

nah man, I knew you were joking.  I've seen your posts, cool guy with no malice.  And the smiley emoji definitely told the tale.  (only because we're geezers, smiley means new things to the kids)  you were just excuse for me to go off on tangent and have fun.  If you think that is bad, you should see my 3 page posts on the political topics.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

RR10.  This is a good batch. Very balanced. Happy weekend. 

Cheers

Moved onto WT101. Never disappoints.  

Cheers

45 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Moved onto WT101. Never disappoints.  

Cheers

Last Rung of the Wild Turkey  step stool tonight, WTKS, bottled in 2002. Good ‘ole fashioned Wild Turkey deliciousness. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Settled into the Buckeyes game with probably my last freezer bottle of the year, EWBIB. I have never been a fan because of the youth. I picked up a bottle this morning on a whim as it has been several years since I bought one. This is the whiskey that reminds me that HH pisses me off. In an effort to expand the brand, they eliminated HHBIB and push this cramp on us. 

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 2

On 9/9/2021 at 6:08 PM, fosmith said:

Enjoying a delicious Negroni on my back patio while waiting for the coals to get hot.  Now, before you all jump on me for posting about a gin cocktail in this thread, I offer the following mitigating factors.  1. It's made with New Riff gin, which is delicious and the whole bourbon community seems to be over the moon for New Riff.  And, 2., the gin is finished in used bourbon barrels which give it a slightly oaky, vanilla quality that plays nicely with the floral character of the underlying gin.  But to be on the safe side, I'm now putting on my Nomex suit... 

negroni.jpg

new riff gin.jpg

I don't have that gin but I have another barrel aged gin so you've inspired me.

• I like it 1

Friday Happy Hour!!! (noon to 5)

Ending quarantine, Mrs Redd was in rare form, indeed.

She showed up to watch a bit of tv with a glass of wine at noon on Fri and asked if I was having a taste of the grape with her. I said no, of course, but I was just thinking of a small pour so a 1910 made it to session. (by the way, 1910 is not a re-purchase for me)

My next pour + several was the OF SiB. Now this is happy hour, happy day, happy, happy, happy bourbon.

This continued as I switched from my OF to SS WRDO which was keeping pace with the OF. Nice!

Mrs Redd had long polished off her bottle of wine and I was now mixing whiskey sours for her. (I finally figured out what to do with my FAE-01)

At about 5 we decided to call Grub Hub and get burgers delivered. Not because we were starving but we needed an excuse to stop happy hour... Whuda thunk there could be that much giggling after 37 years...

Of course, she wants nothing tonight. For me, it's an ET...

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.