What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

24 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

2 things I learned from the finale of RR13. It’s a solid bourbon all around, great mouthfeel deep caramel and vanilla. You had to search for the fruit but it is there. More medicinal cherry. Oh and did I mention spicy as hell! My thoughts is this will benefit greatly to some air. 
The other thing I learned is the Father and Son opened up so nicely and that’s why I have hope for the RR13. Has a very pronounced cherry note and with that sweet oak it’s delicious. 

For those that feel like they missed out on the RR13, I’ll say I’ve had more than a few good single barrels that was better than the RR13. However, I’ll try it after it opens up a let you all know. Here’s after 2 health pours!

0CDFDA6A-C70F-4C72-866A-4A499F72526C.jpeg

I appreciate your thoughts in the review of RR13.  Been looking high and low to find one in my state and surrounding states, but it is becoming a sasquach-type of thing now.  People show you pictures of it, but until you see it with your own eyes.....

• I like it 1

I don’t drink this often, usually have it on hand for others. But after getting into several last night that were all 113 proof and up, I figured this would be a little easier tonight.

9E17AC48-EF21-413B-BB6C-2E888980D4D2.thumb.jpeg.3a8c0e5f884c58ffe0870ff6b5ce2175.jpeg

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, Richdel said:

I appreciate your thoughts in the review of RR13.  Been looking high and low to find one in my state and surrounding states, but it is becoming a sasquach-type of thing now.  People show you pictures of it, but until you see it with your own eyes.....

I don't know quite how I feel about this.    I know I'll never find a bottle.   But I sort of don't care because at least I can find the WT good stuff.   Russell's Reserve Single Barrel  for 55 bucks is as fine a price/value proposition as anything I can think of.     Here in Pennsy,  the Rare Breed is just 46 bucks.    And they've got 101 Rye in new bottles -where the heck did that come from?    

So let 'em send some gimmick juice off to never-never land to live with the taters.   The real deal's still here,  and it in its most recent iteration in my glass is a blackberry 'n leather  combobulation of decadent proportions. 

• I like it 3

I hope LCWoody is doing okay.  Ida is going east of him but these are big storms.  Finished off a bottle of EC SB this weekend trying to whittle down the RV bunker before we close up for the season. 

• I like it 3

This is probably the best WSR I've ever had. I've been nursing this bottle for a long time but it's gonna end up in the EBSG thread tonight. 

20210829_200311.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, CPBourbon said:

I don’t drink this often, usually have it on hand for others. But after getting into several last night that were all 113 proof and up, I figured this would be a little easier tonight.

9E17AC48-EF21-413B-BB6C-2E888980D4D2.thumb.jpeg.3a8c0e5f884c58ffe0870ff6b5ce2175.jpeg

When I first read this post, I thought of the "Most Interesting Man in the World" memes and thought you were going to say "I don't drink this often but when I do I always finish off the bottle!"  😜

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

When I first read this post, I thought of the "Most Interesting Man in the World" memes and thought you were going to say "I don't drink this often but when I do I always finish off the bottle!"  😜

Haha...that would have made a much more interesting post. Alas, finishing off that handle by myself after (perhaps) over indulging the night before would have been a bad plan. 

17 hours ago, CPBourbon said:

Every time I drink this, I have crazy dreams...and its only this product. Kinda strange.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I don't know quite how I feel about this.    I know I'll never find a bottle.   But I sort of don't care because at least I can find the WT good stuff.   Russell's Reserve Single Barrel  for 55 bucks is as fine a price/value proposition as anything I can think of.     Here in Pennsy,  the Rare Breed is just 46 bucks.    And they've got 101 Rye in new bottles -where the heck did that come from?    

So let 'em send some gimmick juice off to never-never land to live with the taters.   The real deal's still here,  and it in its most recent iteration in my glass is a blackberry 'n leather  combobulation of decadent proportions. 

Well, while I do not disagree with you for the most part, I do find most things I have tasted from WT/RR to be very good to excellent.  I am not chasing it, but do find myself stopping in places more often then I normally would to see if it is in my area.  Had a small pour of RR last night after I cleared the deck of everything in anticipation of the old wooden deck removal this morning,  New paver patio going in.  I also had my first bottle of RRSiB  (a couple of weeks back) that has gotten very good since it was opened.  Very uninspiring when it was first opened.   And WT101 has been the house bourbon for myself and the mrs to use as a mixer, although trying EWBiB right now.  My reasoning is if all these thing from the Russell's are very good, then the RR13 must be very good as well.  Living in the Delmarva area, some of these things that are regularly seen elsewhere, never appear here.  I was hoping the RR13 wasn't going to be one of them.

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, Richdel said:

Well, while I do not disagree with you for the most part, I do find most things I have tasted from WT/RR to be very good to excellent.  I am not chasing it, but do find myself stopping in places more often then I normally would to see if it is in my area.  Had a small pour of RR last night after I cleared the deck of everything in anticipation of the old wooden deck removal this morning,  New paver patio going in.  I also had my first bottle of RRSiB  (a couple of weeks back) that has gotten very good since it was opened.  Very uninspiring when it was first opened.   And WT101 has been the house bourbon for myself and the mrs to use as a mixer, although trying EWBiB right now.  My reasoning is if all these thing from the Russell's are very good, then the RR13 must be very good as well.  Living in the Delmarva area, some of these things that are regularly seen elsewhere, never appear here.  I was hoping the RR13 wasn't going to be one of them.

Oh,  don't get me wrong;  if I were to run across a bottle of RR13 at msrp, or even a bit higher,  I'd likely lay down the scratch just to satisfy my curiosity.   I think WT makes the best bourbon in America,  and part of that is because I really can buy their finest without much difficulty.   Same with OF.   But there is something wrong when BT puts so little effort, it seems,  to get their best product, or at times any product at all,  into the hands of ordinary folks who shop their local liquor store.    I have gotten to the point where I could care less about BT.   Because they appear to care less about me.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I hope LCWoody is doing okay.  Ida is going east of him but these are big storms.  Finished off a bottle of EC SB this weekend trying to whittle down the RV bunker before we close up for the season. 

He's good and was checking in yesterday. We're more concerned about Dave @Marekv8 as he is in Baton Rouge which received a direct hit.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, flahute said:

He's good and was checking in yesterday. We're more concerned about Dave @Marekv8 as he is in Baton Rouge which received a direct hit.

I saw the post from Lloyd, and I’m glad he’s okay. I’m also concerned about Dave. Others too. Keeping my fingers crossed .🤞

Joe

• I like it 2

Thankfully Baton Rouge is off center to the west of the storm. Much worst on the eastern side and thoughts and prayers to all of those folks. All my peeps are from BR so reports have been gathered. Still, no big storm is a cakewalk for anyone. Much work and anguish to go around.

Godspeed to all involved and @Marekv8 let us hear from you if possible. Prayers and strength to you...

• I like it 7

Fairly decent day at work considering it’s a Monday, and it’s my next to the last full work day. The weather is much nicer than it’s been lately. Still a tad bit warm, but not much humidity, and a nice breeze blowing. On the back patio with a couple of pours of BT. This bottle is from a handle I decanted into 750’s a while back. If my memory serves me correctly, it tastes remarkably similar to a ps handle of BT I bought a couple of years ago. 🤔 The flavor on this one is lightly sweet cinnamon/red hots, with faint hints of oak and smoke. Man is it good. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

Grabbed a liter of JW Dant today and am already making my way through it. Picking up an amazing peach note that i've never noticed before. Loving how good this is tasting.

IMG_2173.jpg

Edited by JakeySnakes
sp
  • I like it 4

46 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Grabbed a liter of JW Dant BiB today and am already making my way through it. Picking up an amazing peach note that i've never noticed before. Loving how good this is tasting.

I love JW Dant!  I wish it was available in CA.  I've been nursing a liter that I bought from Astor Wines in NYC to defray shipping on some Armagnac I bought from them. 

• I like it 1

Tonight for the first time, I'm drinking Ancient Age out of the freezer and, man, is it delicious!  I've tried 4RYL, EWB and now this from the freezer and, to my palate tonight, this is the best of the three.  The bad thing is it's not easy to find here in the SF Bay Area.  Some popped up at Total Wine so I grabbed a 1.75 and a couple of 750s but it's dwindling too rapidly...  😞

• I like it 5

On vacation this week.  Had an old fashioned w/ Pikesville with dinner.  Now I'm in the hotel's whiskey lounge having some pours.

They have their own 14 yr 10 month Knob Creek PS barrel so that was an easy choice to open with.  As expected, it's great.  Although this hotel's whiskey bar has a huge selection of whiskies to choose from, I'm sure I'll be having more of this KC before the week is over.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 8

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

On vacation this week.  Had an old fashioned w/ Pikesville with dinner.  Now I'm in the hotel's whiskey lounge having some pours.

They have their own 14 yr 10 month Knob Creek PS barrel so that was an easy choice to open with.  As expected, it's great.  Although this hotel's whiskey bar has a huge selection of whiskies to choose from, I'm sure I'll be having more of this KC before the week is over.

Also had Booker's 'Pigskin' batch and Michter's 2020 Toasted BP rye.   Both are winners.

The bar staff gave me free small samples of a Shenk's bourbon (not sure about the release details) and a Kentucky Owl 'Dry State' ... of which both tasted very good to me. Because the samples were complimentary and small, I didn't critique them.  On my palate they both tasted excellent. 

• I like it 5

In honor of my old label purchase today. Let’s see if I can keep from emptying this bottle on a Tuesday night!!! 😳D7CCD2FF-7A19-49C6-9DFB-94265EABDB0D.thumb.jpeg.8f03931517b2bcbac5ff33a0d9257e60.jpeg

• I like it 4

Freezer EW Black while waiting on the late evening.

Have a remote session with a software company to perform an upgrade on a customers EMR at 9pm...

I know, I know, who cares? However the bourbon dictates the useless sharing of information, not me...

• I like it 3

Great day on my last “real” day at work.  Many well wishers congratulating me on my  retirement tomorrow. A couple of long time coworkers even gave me a card and a present! 😊 I got home from work and my wonderful wife had a pour of BT all ready for me on the back patio. 🥰  It was good, but…. I decided to start celebrating a little early, and opened my 1980 Old Fitz BIB. Wow! Even better than I remember. Thick, viscous and “chewy” with that old time caramel/ butterscotch flavor that glut era bourbons are known for. The finish is “mahhhhvelous”. Absolutely wonderful pour(s). To (mis)quote a line from Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, “I chose wisely.” 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.5f583bfbb49552136180bd63eeb79962.jpeg

• I like it 18

Work on the removal of deck, done.  Work on the install of the new paver patio, 25% done.  Celebrating with a pour of WSR.  Saw some mention the red hot cinnamon, and thought I would revisit.  I guess I just have an untrained palate.  But on the brightside, the pour was excellent!

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Great day on my last “real” day at work.  Many well wishers congratulating me on my  retirement tomorrow. A couple of long time coworkers even gave me a card and a present! 😊 I got home from work and my wonderful wife had a pour of BT all ready for me on the back patio. 🥰  It was good, but…. I decided to start celebrating a little early, and opened my 1980 Old Fitz BIB. Wow! Even better than I remember. Thick, viscous and “chewy” with that old time caramel/ butterscotch flavor that glut era bourbons are known for. The finish is “mahhhhvelous”. Absolutely wonderful pour(s). To (mis)quote a line from Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, “I chose wisely.” 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.5f583bfbb49552136180bd63eeb79962.jpeg

Congrats Joe! Enjoy the last day and that bottle. Certainly a worthy choice.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.