What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OGD BIB was back on the shelf of my favorite store.  Only took three visits to convince them to restock.  Bought 3 and felt so good I picked up one MM 101, a Tyrconnel 10 yr Madeira finish for St Pat’s, and a JD BIB.

Re: the OGD - I decant it into an OGD BIB bottle with an orange screw top that I bought in the same store mid-2014.  Price tag says I paid $17.99 then.  Now, it sells for $24.99.  Why decant?  Easier to unscrew than to pull the fake cork when I’m in a hurry.

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Easier to unscrew than to pull the fake cork when I’m in a hurry.

Why are you in a hurry? 😜  Gotta get the pour before SWMBO comes back in the room?

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

That's been my hope as well.  Hoping to pick some of this up when I head to the motherland next month.

Btw Skinsfan, where in Maryland are you located?  I'm about 1.5 hours from Oakland and curious if you ever come up thru Pittsburgh again if you'd want to mule for each other?

PM me if you're interested.

Cheers!

Baltimore metro area.

We never go to, or through, the Pittsburgh area. 

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

OGD BIB was back on the shelf of my favorite store.  Only took three visits to convince them to restock.  Bought 3 and felt so good I picked up one MM 101, a Tyrconnel 10 yr Madeira finish for St Pat’s, and a JD BIB.

Re: the OGD - I decant it into an OGD BIB bottle with an orange screw top that I bought in the same store mid-2014.  Price tag says I paid $17.99 then.  Now, it sells for $24.99.  Why decant?  Easier to unscrew than to pull the fake cork when I’m in a hurry.

You must be in a pretty big hurry, if the extra couple of seconds to pull a cork out of the bottle makes a that much of a difference😉😂

I can respect that🥃

• I like it 1

Stopped by an ABC store while out and about today. I hadn’t had a Cooper’s Craft in a while, and was happy to grab one. 

The Virgin Bourbon on the other hand, I was on the fence about. I’d left my phone in the car and didn’t remember if it was a solid bargain bourbon or a total waste of hard earned cash. Decided to take the chance and I’m glad I did. Solid bargain bourbon it is. 

433C56CF-2110-4F1F-8674-54207C37A0A1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Local distillery purchase from Jersey Spirits Distilling Co, about 2 miles from me.  It's very young stuff, the rye 18mo, the bourbon 1 yr.

74742A1D-E363-41B5-BF4C-978F0F41ABED.thumb.jpeg.ed435649d8e225d6cc711281b7bcf0a7.jpegC72CF08B-877E-4BC4-ADDE-4B7697F66C7A.thumb.jpeg.95f0edf783cfe85653f525d240684482.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 3/6/2022 at 2:52 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Baltimore metro area.

We never go to, or through, the Pittsburgh area. 

Disregard then 😄.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Stopped by an ABC store while out and about today. I hadn’t had a Cooper’s Craft in a while, and was happy to grab one. 

The Virgin Bourbon on the other hand, I was on the fence about. I’d left my phone in the car and didn’t remember if it was a solid bargain bourbon or a total waste of hard earned cash. Decided to take the chance and I’m glad I did. Solid bargain bourbon it is. 

433C56CF-2110-4F1F-8674-54207C37A0A1.jpeg

The Coopers' is pretty good whiskey.

If you ever have the chance, I can highly recommend the Brown-Forman Cooperage tour.   It's really cool and one of the highlights on our last Kentucky trip.

• I like it 1

another woodford stout and masters keep one.  I now have 2 of each.  probably pop one tonight

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

The Coopers' is pretty good whiskey...

I concur.  Sure not the best, but dang good for the buck.  I was sipping the 82 proofer last night and very much enjoying it.  Sipping?  Nah, I was chugging from bottle.  and the 100 proofer even better.  I like the 100 better than some stuff costing twice or thrice more.

• I like it 2

I was up in Louisville today and decided to take the backroads home.  I stopped in a few store with nothing to mention.  Pay dirt on the third.  Out the door for $100 cash.

58E86D96-CC5B-4497-B81D-53AF5A13E8CE.jpeg

• I like it 15

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

I was up in Louisville today and decided to take the backroads home.  I stopped in a few store with nothing to mention.  Pay dirt on the third.  Out the door for $100 cash.

Dang good find on the BiB! One of the best. 

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

still looks like a lotta dust on the bottle shoulders.  You haven't hit it yet, or dust so thick it'll take more go 'rounds to get it all off.  Well in earnest, dust maybe not that thick on a bottle, but when you have a thousand bottles, that's a lot of dust.  Great catch.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If you ever have the chance, I can highly recommend the Brown-Forman Cooperage tour.   It's really cool and one of the highlights on our last Kentucky trip.

Yes to this. Amazing tour. When they set those barrel insides on fire you FEEL it even though you are standing back.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes to this. Amazing tour. When they set those barrel insides on fire you FEEL it even though you are standing back.

Watching the Coopers put together the barrels.  I forget the # of staves, to make a barrel, but it's always the same # and they seem to know which ones to grab, from the different piles, to put them together.  It's amazing.

Agreed on the fire.  Even from a distance, you could really feel the heat.   It was a great tour.

20190411_084045.jpg

• I like it 4

This is entirely off topic, but if you want to go on a great tour, tour a steel mill with an electric arc furnace.  The melt shop is a massive thunderstorm, volcano, and earthquake controlled inside a building.  Be ready when they stick those electrodes in the scrap, particularly if it’s wet.  Kapowee!!!!

The 8th Wonder of the World…

• I like it 2

Picked up some EW 1783 Small Batch (thanks @PaulO for recommending that!)  The 10 yr EW 1783 was one of the first dusties I ever bought, and honestly I wasn't a huge fan (had a lot of mint going on, and just wasn't in my wheelhouse at the time - although in hindsight, this is when OWA and ETL were plentiful).  This doesn't remind me of that, but cracked it tonight and a pretty nice little sipper for $20.  Need to bump this up against EW BIB for kicks.  

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This is entirely off topic, but if you want to go on a great tour, tour a steel mill with an electric arc furnace.  The melt shop is a massive thunderstorm, volcano, and earthquake controlled inside a building.  Be ready when they stick those electrodes in the scrap, particularly if it’s wet.  Kapowee!!!!

The 8th Wonder of the World…

I now want to do this more than anything else. 

• I like it 3

It be Wednesday!😬 Shopping day, and yes I did. The bad news: I passed on a SAOS Sarah bottle. 😔 The good news: It turned into a Wheater Wednesday. 🥳 I ended up buying a couple of bottles of MM dipped by my gal at MM.😍  That made me feel a little better about passing on the SAOS.  Finding a Weller SR made me forget all about it. 😀

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It be Wednesday!😬 Shopping day, and yes I did. The bad news: I passed on a SAOS Sarah bottle. 😔 The good news: It turned into a Wheater Wednesday. 🥳 I ended up buying a couple of bottles of MM dipped by my gal at MM.😍  That made me feel a little better about passing on the SAOS.  Finding a Weller SR made me forget all about it. 😀

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mellow Corn for the win!!!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Did you get the cherries, too?

23 minutes ago, lemonman said:

Did you get the cherries, too?

Yes I did. 😁 Not sure what we’re gonna do with ‘em this time though. Binny’s had the same deal before Xmas. We used the cherries on deserts for our holiday get together..

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Funny you passed on a Sarah bottle of SAOS, I did the same on a store selection of SAOS with a Sarah signature today.

But only because I found a couple of bottles that interested me more.  A store pick BT, a store pick Knob Creek 120.  

A Heaven Hill BiB 7 year that is unavailable to me in Delaware and surrounding states (at least to my knowledge), and finally

a ECBP A122.  A really great LS for all to make note of when down on the Treasure Coast of Florida, specifically Vero Beach.

Great selection, and an owner who is knowledgeable.  Pricing is not bad, for me, some higher and some lower then I am used to. 

But no gouging!!!  It was a pleasure to purchase there, especially after finding a number of places who wanted first-born for some

bourbons (Normans in St Pete Beach!!!!).

Mawk's in Vero Beach.  I may go back today and pickup another KC store selection, or the earlier mentioned SAOS store select, or a Woodinville

that I have been unable to find in Delaware and have read good things about.

• I like it 2

I was up seeing a friend in Ohio yesterday.  We went by a couple of LS and found these.  I think around $60 for the 3.

147FDB3E-5AA7-4A15-8F07-003766B43274.jpeg

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.