What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I keep replacing my bottle of FEW bourbon,  because the juice improves with every one.  Now it's labeled a straight,  is aged in full size barrels,  and sports the vanilla creaminess of quality bourbon.  An easy sipper,  especially with chili or a turkey'n swiss.

This was from their bottle shop pop-up at the King of Prussia mall.   The Evanston distillery supplies barrels to Philadelphia Distilling (who distill mostly gin and absinthe) for "blending and bottling."  

20220206_174822.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I keep replacing my bottle of FEW bourbon,  because the juice improves with every one.  Now it's labeled a straight,  is aged in full size barrels,  and sports the vanilla creaminess of quality bourbon.  An easy sipper,  especially with chili or a turkey'n swiss.

This was from their bottle shop pop-up at the King of Prussia mall.   The Evanston distillery supplies barrels to Philadelphia Distilling (who distill mostly gin and absinthe) for "blending and bottling."  

20220206_174822.jpg

I tried a bottle several years ago and thought it was super grainy and young...  like popcorn and hay but not in a good way. Glad to know it's improved. Cool tiki/totem.

• I like it 2

Snagged another MM101 (that stuff has become a habit...really love that expression) and a bottle of Ezra Brooks Distiller's Collection (107 proof)...a Woodmans-selected barrel barreled on 3/31/2016. It's a good'un...

• I like it 3

Just picked up a bottle of Angel’s Envy @ $47.19 plus tax, seemed somewhat reasonable by today’s standards. 

• I like it 1

122695877_BT12.thumb.jpg.4bb5e6d5fe510f526890d6613caa3824.jpg

Thought I was getting low on the KC12; not really, but why chance it?

Still mad at myself for passing on the Disco 4 so hoping the Disco 6 is a reprieve...

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, Quiganomics said:

Got lucky today.

20220207_162524.jpg

Good thing you’re using those gloves. That bottle is 🔥

• I like it 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:19 AM, flahute said:

OK so help me out here. You say you are skeptical because you don't like BT products. You then say you like Barton products the best in the Saz portfolio. I tell you that ET will come from Barton. You say you are still skeptical. I don't get it.

I don’t dislike BT, I simply prefer the house styles other distilleries to the majority of BT non wheated bourbons I have had, a different strokes kinda thing. I do prefer, as an example, Barton bourbon to BT. Specifically I enjoyed the VOB bib. I also enjoyed the BF ET BiB, 2 excellent daily sippers. I do not care for the way Barton dropped from 6 to Bib then dropped the BiB designation to 100, it felt like they were dragging down a bottling that was already a limited distribution item, one of those enthusiast specials like HH 6yr. Its not like they were strapped for stock due to skyrocketing demand for a sudden tater sensation in VOB BiB. It wasn’t broken so why fix it? Yeah, when companies do things like that I cast a suspicious glance at whatever they do afterwards Therein  lies my, I’ll say disappointment vs. skepticism, that would be more accurate. I realize they could give a rats ass whether or not I ever purchase any of their products again, I in turn can take my business where I feel best about my purchase. My preference would have been BF ET and 6 yr VOB BiB, what can I say, I am getting old and cranky and I am resistant to change, I like consistency. C’est la vie. I have enough bunkered that its a non issue from here on out anyway, plus there are a good many things coming down the pike from many other distillers that I am looking forward to, so much for consistency!!

• I like it 2

Dickel 8 yo 

Johnny Drum Black Label

Old Bardstown 101 

Evan Williams Vintage Single Barrel 

Nothing special, just filling up the stash for the summer. 

• I like it 6

Picked up a new batch of MMCS today, and on first taste it's a lot better than the last 2-3 I've tried.

• I like it 1

The saffells I’ve had and enjoy.  Happy to have more.  Took a flyer on the Clyde mays 15 and not stoked on the price… but hard for me to pass up 15yr…

0B72DB8E-9E79-496B-B493-CDAC6650BEBD.jpeg

Edited by JT3NSB
  • I like it 6

I decided to check out a store near U. of Indianapolis.  I had not been there in years.  It used to be one of the places I could scoop up OWA and other interesting stuff back in the day.

Well, they still carry some items I don't find locally (but no OWA anymore).  The clerk and I had a laugh about that.  Anyway I brought home: Virginia Gentleman Bourbon, Famous Grouse Scotch, and Cabrito Tequila.  Virginia Gentleman is the 80 proof base product from A. Smith Bowman.  I've never seen or tried it, so figured why not for $15.

Also picked up old standby JTS Brown B.I.B. at another place.

• I like it 3

I blew the dust off the Corvette today over near Land between the Lakes area of KY.  I saw several eagles soaring, nothing close Enough for an iPhone pic.  It was a beautiful day in the 50’s.

I also picked up a few riders on the way.

E6771688-EFC2-4C1A-87FF-9DD801696D8C.jpeg

• I like it 9

On 2/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, B.B. Babington said:

the 12 and 15 are both absolutely excellent.  way way better than standard knob.

Cracked the 15 and its fantastic man. Really rich . 

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Picked up a bottle of EC BP C921 and A122, try to get a bottle of each release and I'm now caught up.

side-by-side and back-to-back comparisons can be addicting and expensive.  when having one of each label is not enough and now need one of each lot number....

I pity the fool.  Now you know one single barrel different than the next, one lot or blend might be different than others, and year to year, decade to decade.  You're going to need more credit cards and a second job.

• I like it 1

Picked up some odds and ends today.  

Shoutouts to SBer @JakeySnakes for reminding me that I need to replenish my long-gone DNR empty, and also to @LCWoody & @FasterHorses for the "inspiration" to try the RC12CS for the first time.  I'm sure my wife appreciates another new bottle in the cabinet Lol, thanks a lot fellas 🤣

20220211_204421.jpg

• I like it 17

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Picked up some odds and ends today. I'm sure my wife appreciates another new bottle in the cabinet Lol, thanks a lot fellas 🤣

20220211_204421.jpg

Another new bottle @Kepler??? My good sir, it appears to me that you have a plethora, not “another”. 🤣 :lol:

Cheers and enjoy! Joe

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another new bottle @Kepler??? My good sir, it appears to me that you have a plethora, not “another”. 🤣 :lol:

Cheers and enjoy! Joe

Wha?  Me?  Nah, not me!!  🤣🤣🤣

Whiskirexia nervosa is a whiskey buying disorder characterized by a distorted whiskey inventory image and an obsessive fear of running out of whiskey. Individuals with whiskirexia nervosa tend to already own more whiskey than they can ever drink, even as they continue to buy more.

• I like it 3

19 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Wha?  Me?  Nah, not me!!  🤣🤣🤣

FWIW, I now normally try and buy only one or two bottles at a time. But early on in my bourbon journey……..  😬 I never fooled my wife a bit. She usually knew what and how many, and I knew that she knew. Over the years, this has actually became something of a running joke between us. Just for good measure, it’s even funnier when I come out of a store in a timely manner, and empty handed to boot. What can I say? 😙

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, I now normally try and buy only one or two bottles at a time. But early on in my bourbon journey……..  😬 I never fooled my wife a bit. She usually knew what and how many, and I knew that she knew. Over the years, this has actually became something of a running joke between us. Just for good measure, it’s even funnier when I come out of a store in a timely manner, and empty handed to boot. What can I say? 😙

Biba! Joe

SWMBO is NEVER in the car when I come out of a liquor store!  Pro tip - you're welcome!  🤐

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

SWMBO is NEVER in the car when I come out of a liquor store!  Pro tip - you're welcome!  🤐

Thanks for the pro tips guys.  I'm just trying to follow in the footsteps of our resident zen masters. 😁

• I like it 1

This dropped in the local stores Friday morning and was sold out all over town by noon the same day…that’s that rumor anyway and it was not in the two stores i visited this morning at least.  

So i just drive the 9 minutes down the road to the distillery to get one.  Excited to try this one later this weekend.   I actually did a tour there last spring as part of my work and it was a great experience.

I did have a bottle of Yellow Banks, also made there, two years ago that I received as a gift and I am really hoping this one is much better than that….that one is awful.

46B45AF7-3F85-4CAE-8EE0-2EBB3FCEA221.jpeg

B3B8C02F-A1E2-4725-B94A-0370BC7267FD.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.