What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

SWMBO is NEVER in the car when I come out of a liquor store!  Pro tip - you're welcome!  🤐

Or in the house when I unload the car.  

Unless I also bought wine. . . 

• I like it 3

Still have not seen the OGD114 in awhile, but picked up the bonded version today.  

I ordered 3x WB Saffell online from the NH Wine and Liquor Outlet in Epson and my brother and my nephew/godson went to pick it up for me today. Have never seen this in NJ.  I'll get them when I visit my parents in NH in a few weeks. 

C2590EFA-984F-4B39-B470-D92FD62267CE.thumb.jpeg.b5aedd78a1307675af938a1e7239e1d0.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Still have not seen the OGD114 in awhile, but picked up the bonded version today.  

They had plenty at a Va ABC store today. $29.99. I passed, because I already have a few bottles. 

Decided to try Total Wine delivery because I just finished yard work and now don't want to drive anywhere - (yep, being lazy) - so I just ordered a handle of OF100 and two 4RSiB's (100 proof). We'll see how this goes.

• I like it 4

On 2/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, markandrex said:

I blew the dust off the Corvette today over near Land between the Lakes area of KY.  I saw several eagles soaring, nothing close Enough for an iPhone pic.  It was a beautiful day in the 50’s.

I also picked up a few riders on the way.

E6771688-EFC2-4C1A-87FF-9DD801696D8C.jpeg

I love everything about this post.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

Thr latest additions this week.

20220211_152507.jpg

I would love to have the JJB in my area. Have tried it while traveling and loved every pour.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I would love to have the JJB in my area. Have tried it while traveling and loved every pour.

JJB is what I've been drinking for my BT fix these last several years.   Shockingly,  I found my first Eagle Rare in 3 years a couple of weeks ago when out in search of a diner near Camden.    Happy sipping!

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

I just the put the high score up on the Aerosmith machine this morning,  at Jillly's pinball arcade in Ocean City.   Of course,  one must leave this dry burg to celebrate.  so over the bridge to Somers Point it was,  for something new for me -  Barrel Bourbon.     This is batch #29,   115 proof and a blend of ryed and wheated bourbons between 6 and 15 years old.   

I haven't had any Barrell products  so if anyone has tried batch #29 or other Barrell recommedations,  I'm all ears.  

This is what I've been investigating recently - bourbons blended from newer and older barrels.    I just killed a Bardstown Fusion Batch #4 that I thought performed the balancing act brilliantly.  Another great one is Smokewagon Small Batch and UCUF.  For a textbook example of how a young-plus-older blend  compares with a blend of older stocks alone  is to compare side by side the Smokewagon UCUF with Belle Meade Reserve.    Same MGP juice,  similar proof, the UCUF a blend of  around 5- 10 years and the Belle Meade a blend of 7-9 years.    

22 hours ago, markandrex said:

Come to the Motherland.

9B2A5CB9-D1C7-4A4B-B2EC-8E0CAE9E81B1.jpeg

I picked up the Bonded, which I prefer and buy probably 4:1 more as compared to 114.  But, 114 is conspicuous with its absence.  

Picked up an OWA107 at a local "rare" bourbon sale.  OWA is practically a unicorn in Indiana unless you significantly overpay or win a right to purchase in a lottery.  

Actually, a pretty cool scenario.  A local grocer had a sign all week indicating the sale would be today starting at 1 pm.  They didn't identify what would be available but I assumed it would be stuff like Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and maybe a few other bottles.  They also didn't say how many bottles would be available.  Not knowing how it would work and expecting a large turnout, I wasn't planning to attend.  However, as circumstance would have it, my wife wanted to stop at the store to pick up eggs so I thought it would give me a chance to see what they had.  

While my wife waited in the car, I went in to pick up the eggs.  It was about 30 minutes until the sale start time and there really weren't many people standing around.  I also saw the list which included some interesting bottles.  I took the eggs to the car and told my wife it looked like they had around 20 bottles with maybe 30 to 40 people so my odds might be good to at least get a chance at something.  Back into the store I went.  They were passing out tickets.  When the lady handed me the ticket, she announced it was the last ticket.  My number was 200.  I assumed it would be a random drawing.  However, they started with 101, then 102, 103 and so on.  So, I was 100th in order.  You could pick one bottle of whatever was left when your number was drawn.

They had some pretty cool stuff.  Van Winkle Rye, OFSiB, EC18, Bookers, , ETL, CEHT, and several cases of Blanton's, lots of WSR and OWA,etc.  I assumed they would run out before it got to me.  I ended up standing behind the people running the sale.  I was next to one of the store managers who I see regularly and kind of peeked in a box to see what was left to put on the table.  I mentioned that they would probably be out of bottles before it got to me since I was last in line.  He smiled and said "No, you will get a bottle.  It may not be your first choice but there is a bottle for every ticket!"  How cool!  By the time, it got to to 199, the number before me, the lady with that number had her choice of WSR or OWA since that was all that was left.  There were several WSR 750s and one WSR 1.75 left and only one OWA.  A handful of people didn't wait around so there were bottles left over.  I would have taken either but I would have picked OWA over some of the other available bottles 50 picks earlier.  One guy whose number was picked early offered to sell his ticket. The event organizers snatched it and told him no.  He was shamed and scorned by the masses.

This was a great way to hold an event like this.  They kept it low key and made sure everyone walked away with an opportunity to buy something.

Resized_20220213_191503.jpeg

• I like it 18

We wiped out several bottles at the Super Bowl party so I went out today and went a little crazy.

The Weller was from the wife for Valentines Day.  The rest are my doing.  I netted out in the plus column but there were a few that I haven’t seen in a while.

228B64DB-4523-4149-A61F-B0BD96B08B8C.jpeg

• I like it 13

On 2/14/2022 at 2:45 PM, markandrex said:

I went out today and went a little crazy.

One man's crazy is another man's Hell Yeah!!!😜👍

• I like it 1

Found this at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Knoxville - $163.86 OTD (YIKES!) including sales tax.  That's just soooo Un-American charging sales tax for bourbon, no?

Bardstown Discovery #6.jpg

Bardstown Discovery #6 - 68% 11yr Kentucky, 16% 17yr Tennessee, and 16% 7yr Indiana bourbons.  55.55% ABV, 111.1 pf.  Haven't seen one of these up home so I thought "Why Not?", based on previous comments on SB.com.  If the animals don't find it in my room this week, might be a candidate for the table at our next great Mizzou tasting in March.     😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

On 2/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, markandrex said:

We wiped out several bottles at the Super Bowl party so I went out today and went a little crazy.

The Weller was from the wife for Valentines Day.  The rest are my doing.  I netted out in the plus column but there were a few that I haven’t seen in a while.

JB Distiller's Cut is BACK?  Color me happy!   🥰

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Found this at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Knoxville - $163.86 OTD (YIKES!) including sales tax.  That's just soooo Un-American charging sales tax for bourbon, no?

Bardstown Discovery #6.jpg

Bardstown Discovery #6 - 68% 11yr Kentucky, 16% 17yr Tennessee, and 16% 7yr Indiana bourbons.  55.55% ABV, 111.1 pf.  Haven't seen one of these up home so I thought "Why Not?", based on previous comments on SB.com.  If the animals don't find it in my room this week, might be a candidate for the table at our next great Mizzou tasting in March.     😋

I think you are going to love it!   They are killing it with the blending right now at BBC.

• I like it 1

On 2/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, markandrex said:

You're finding Distiller's Cut on shelves.

Is it dusty from like 2017.

I hadn't purchased much recently, since I have enough to drown an elephant, but I did have a LB Gift Card that was burning a hole in my wallet so . . . I ventured out today and ended up with this.

The RR's and the EW BIB were to replace some almost empty bottles.  The Old Overholt was . . . hey, who can pass up a 114 proof 4 year straight rye and the Boone County, Benchmark FP and the Monk's Road were just because  . . . well just because I wanted them.

FEB 22 BOURBON.jpg

• I like it 3

41 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I hadn't purchased much recently, since I have enough to drown an elephant, but I did have a LB Gift Card that was burning a hole in my wallet so . . . I ventured out today and ended up with this.

The RR's and the EW BIB were to replace some almost empty bottles.  The Old Overholt was . . . hey, who can pass up a 114 proof 4 year straight rye and the Boone County, Benchmark FP and the Monk's Road were just because  . . . well just because I wanted them.

FEB 22 BOURBON.jpg

I have tried the Monk's Road at the Log Still distillery - what a beautiful place.  I thought the juice was nice too (expensive but nice) - said to be from Bardstown but not sure from whom.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.