What beer are you drinking--2022!

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

It's interesting to see or hear from places with german roots. Cullmann was shortened to Cullman I learned by reading wikipedia. He was a 48er, too. There were lots of 48er in Texas I recently learned. I am surprised by the lot of Oktoberfestbeers brewed in the USA and just lately realised that some US-breweries are brewing a "Kölsch"-style ale, which is a beer commonly brewed in the region I'm from. Sadly we don't get much beer from the States, just the obvious big names like Miller or Bud, sometimes Lone Star or Olde Milwaukee, but stuff from smaller breweries is very rare. 

Yes, it seems every craft brewery releases an Oktoberfest beer to celebrate the event.  I find them to typically be their best releases.  I buy and try as many as I can beginning September 1.  I‘ll move to the German releases come October 1.  

There has been another German enclave just 50 miles up the road from Cullman (BTW, I look forward to doing some reading on “48ers”), though it was established some time later and under much different circumstances.  Huntsville, AL was home to Werner von Braun and a group of other German Rocket scientists who arrived to the US after WWII to direct and develop the US missile, rocket, and space programs.  A couple of good articles below on not only their many contributions to the US space and defense programs from their time in Huntsville, but contributing as well to a lasting legacy of culture and prosperity to that area of Alabama.

I’ll say Prost! to that!  

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/us/31huntsville.html

https://www.al.com/huntsville-times-business/2012/03/wernher_von_braun_a_scientist.html

This is a hazy hop monster using a high density hop charge. Legit from Ogopogo Brewing in San Gabriel, CA.  

Early fall pool time after an entertaining early game window. 

8092A866-FD64-4247-83F5-D136D507EB97.jpeg

• I like it 1

Finally found the Red Hare Oktoberfest release.  I hadn’t seen it, so was thinking maybe they didn’t release one this season.  Nice biscuit notes, and a light sweetness.  Always a solid effort.

FF858809-AFC2-4124-BCDA-E7102BA18B17.jpeg

• I like it 2

Welcome to the weekend! One of my final Oktoberfest beers. I guess I have through the weekend to finish em. I don’t know the rules! Anyway, Radiant does everything very well. Very tasty! 

C67A93EA-8A5E-4A66-BF46-369AB6C216A3.jpeg

• I like it 1

Enjoying the Candela Festival down here in the motherland. Special Pumpkin release for the chilly 85 degree fall season 🤪.

image.jpg

• I like it 1

Since the calendar has changed over to October, I’m getting into the German Oktoberfest releases.  Ayinger is always a good start!

DCD5D9DB-2774-4C42-AA1C-BC539C30B603.jpeg

• I like it 3

Another one from There Does Not Exist. Infinite End. 6.3%. It’s a Cold IPA.

It’s a dry crisp hoppy lager. Very good. Glad I only have one. Might be trouble this afternoon. 

A20CBB38-4FF2-47CE-9C23-C4B13F211827.jpeg

• I like it 1

A couple of Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzins with a dinner of bratwurst, pierogies and red cabbage.

• I like it 2

On 9/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, smokinjoe said:

Finally found the Red Hare Oktoberfest release.  I hadn’t seen it, so was thinking maybe they didn’t release one this season.  Nice biscuit notes, and a light sweetness.  Always a solid effort.

FF858809-AFC2-4124-BCDA-E7102BA18B17.jpeg

Love the name! Reminds me of Bugs Bunny.

On 8/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, smokinjoe said:

Going top shelf and livin’ the high life this afternoon with “The Champagne of Beers”!  😁

9CE8771F-0867-4F24-A9A1-E56B1C8FAC56.jpeg

Memory City.  THIS is what my Dad bought in the 1950s when his WW II buddies came visiting.  We'd have several cases of Bud cooled and then consumed before he'd bring out the Millers.  I was fascinated by the woman sitting on the Moon.  Food for the adults was grilled bone-in sirloin steaks while us kids got "tube steaks" which we later figured out were hot dogs.  When we were a little older, we tumbled to the difference and would beg for pieces of "real" steaks.  After another couple years, we figured out the adults were feeding us pieces of charred fat trimmed from the sirloins on the grill.

Joke's on them, though.  I still love good charred beef fat.  Thirteen hour smoked brisket, anyone??

BEERS! Lately, it has been the seasonal Oktoberfest releases, both foreign and domestic.  Weihenstephaner is my favorite from Germany, and I've had DOZENS of gallons from different German breweries over the years.  (Partial to Windsheimer but it is only sold in Bad Windsheim and Illesheim, dammit.  Tucher from Nurnberg is close but a little bitter for me.)  Domestically, Devils Backbone puts out a nice O'Fest for October, and Boston Beer's (i.e., Sam Adams) Octoberfest is not bad, either.  At least after a couple six-packs, I still like them.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:52 AM, flahute said:

Love the name! Reminds me of Bugs Bunny.

Ha!!  And, “Laverne & Shirley”!  Schlemiel! Schlimazel!  Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!

🤪 

28 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Octoberfest.

04FD560F-1171-4D6A-A0D8-72651B2D3C2A.thumb.jpeg.d4e2c23c23cb7d7a1ba8d64089b435e8.jpeg

I haven’t seen the Hofbrau, yet.  Have to keep looking.  I’ve always liked it.  Spaten Oktoberfest for me tonight after a long day at work.  
BTW, SWEET Stein!!

3D929B9E-EF9E-4364-94ED-46126264D526.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

Quick trip back this side with the local Gate City Brewing Oktoberfest release.  Very deep color on this portends a heavy trip over the palate.  It is more rich than some of the others from this year, while just a tad too sweet for me.  But, overall, I’m enjoying it. 

8E62D805-AD0B-4D05-98CC-9D619870C542.jpeg

• I like it 1

Played 18 in 90 degree weather. No case of the Mondays here. My reward at the end of the round was a double dry hopped double IPA. It was spectacular! 

6C7C546E-2E5A-4053-A946-CB68A6BC0FA8.jpeg

• I like it 1

The visual of its deep color along with its nice maltiness and touch of caramel over my palate makes this one of my favorite Merican style Oktoberfests of this season.  

8B1A5CF6-7376-4782-8DD6-6A8E809B44E5.jpeg

• I like it 1

I went to Brown County State Park for a cookout with friends.  I brought Josephsbrau Oktoberfest and brats.  We cooked on one of those campsite grills.  Then we hiked trails around a lake, with fall colors on full display.  It was a big hit.

• I like it 2

A bowl of chili, some peanut butter bread (HAVE to have pb with chili 🤷‍♂️), and some Yeungling Hershey.

20221010_191552.jpg

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I went to Brown County State Park for a cookout with friends.  I brought Josephsbrau Oktoberfest and brats.  We cooked on one of those campsite grills.  Then we hiked trails around a lake, with fall colors on full display.  It was a big hit.

Covered bridge in Bean Blossom?  😉

Biba! Joe

We went over the covered bridge to enter the park from SR 46, exited the same way and saw a deer in the dark. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.