What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve been purchasing a lot of MGP recently. This one is really good. 6 year single barrel of Clyde May. I can’t wait to revisit in a couple weeks. The label is ridiculous but I like his hair. 

A4787767-80C3-482E-A7DA-1793E1D8DE29.jpeg

• I like it 8

9 hours ago, MM818 said:

I’ve been purchasing a lot of MGP recently. This one is really good. 6 year single barrel of Clyde May. I can’t wait to revisit in a couple weeks. The label is ridiculous but I like his hair. 

Is that the K&L pick?  I've got one sitting in will call at the SF store that I'm looking forward to trying.

• I like it 2

On 8/19/2022 at 11:20 PM, Bourserker said:

So I opened this abomination...maybe that's a bit harsh, but what the hell Dickel...a 15 year bourbon at 40%?  The backstory here is I saw a bunch of these at one of my local ABC stores and got excited.   So I read some reviews and went back and grabbed one.  The only issue is I missed the small detail in those reviews that this thing is variable proof and can be as low as 80.  I assumed it would be 90 proof or greater and when I saw the 40% after I got home I almost took it back...there's a reason there were a pile of these sitting there.  But feeling adventurous I figured why not try it, maybe it'll actually be good.

Usually the first pour or two out of a bottle typically isn't the best, but man this is one of the worst first pours I've ever had.  This stuff is super thin, almost the consistency of water and super astringent.  I guess we'll see what happens after the level goes down a bit in the bottle.

At any rate, what the heck Dickel...why even put something like this out.

20220819_230615.thumb.jpg.082bb05492eacb32743382b019ad34e5.jpg

Ok, so I was pretty harsh in this post a couple of weeks ago.  I came back to it tonight, and wouldn't ya know it, I actually found it pretty tasty.  Even the mouth feel wasn't as bad as I had remembered.  I still think this needs to be 90 proof or more, but I get why it can be as low as 80 after fosmith explained how Dickel produces these.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Ok, so I was pretty harsh in this post a couple of weeks ago.  I came back to it tonight, and wouldn't ya know it, I actually found it pretty tasty.  Even the mouth feel wasn't as bad as I had remembered.  I still think this needs to be 90 proof or more, but I get why it can be as low as 80 after fosmith explained how Dickel produces these.

Glad this one is coming around for you.  I think these Dickel 15yr single barrels are some of the best values in extra aged bourbon around.  The K&L picks I've had have all been really good and $55 for 15+yo bourbon is something you just don't see anymore.  The recent group of K&L picks, according to their web site, are actually almost 18 yo, which is pretty remarkable when you think about it. 

• I like it 2

On 8/26/2022 at 8:17 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to be on here much since late spring and summer, since it's "blending season" and I'm swamped, so I'm thrilled to pop in again. A few months ago, some good friends and I exchanged a bottle of my Magnus Cigar Blend batch #77 (aka "Free Bird," since I dedicated that batch to Lynyrd Skynyrd as a creative influence) and some samples of 20 year old 21% MGP that I have in stock at Magnus for 6 sample bottles of Old Grand Dad 1971, Parker's Heritage 4th Edition 10 YO Wheated Bourbon, FR Al Young 50th Anniversary, Four Gate Eagle Thief, and Redbreast 27 year old cask strength. 

Although the Old Granddad '71 is certainly interesting, it isn't very complex. After trying everything in the line-up (I'll leave the Redbreast 27 year out of this, since that's single malt), I am very surprised that the Parker's Heritage 10 year Wheated Bourbon at 124.2 is my absolute favorite of the line-up! When it comes to small grains, I'm almost always more of a rye fan than a wheat fan in my Bourbons, but WOW, this Parker's wheated is just hitting all the right notes this evening! A very close runner-up is the FR Al Young, which is as elegant as a summer day is long. Next would be KY Owl Dry State, then Four Gate Eagle Thief, with the Old Granddad '71 at the end. I might change my mind tomorrow and go with the FR Al Young as the frontrunner, but tonight it's the Parker's Heritage Wheater all the way!

I'm going to continue nursing this Parker's Heritage wheater this evening. Hope everyone is having a great dram or 3 tonight, and I'm happy to be back! 

Cheers!

Nancy

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

I know you left it out, but that RB 27y is fantastic….

• I like it 2

Opened up a fresh KC9 this evening.  Or rather, I should say KC100 because this particular bottle is from that brief period when Beam removed the 9 yr age statement.  No matter; tastes great to me.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Opened up a fresh KC9 this evening.  Or rather, I should say KC100 because this particular bottle is from that brief period when Beam removed the 9 yr age statement.  No matter; tastes great to me.

you bunkered those?

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

you bunkered those?

Well I wouldnt call it bunkered, more like I just bought it but never got around to opening it.  It was one of those gift packs in a box with the glasses included. I'm quite fond of the glasses.  They have a slick silver band around the top.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

To me the KC NAS bottles were still really good.

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, fosmith said:

To me the KC NAS bottles were still really good.

Agree, this NAS one tastes very good too. I don't have a standard 9 year age-stated version open to compare it with, but I might have to look for one.  I see a KC9 100 proof store pick in my cabinet, but that would not be a fair fight.  I'll have to see if I have a regular KC9 shelfie sitting around in my bunker somewhere.  Almost all of my Knob Creek bottles on hand are the 120 proof single barrel store picks.

Edited by Kepler
added extra comment
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

It was one of those gift packs in a box with the glasses included. I'm quite fond of the glasses.  They have a slick silver band around the top.

Oh.

Like these?

yeah, they’re nice. 👍

E2F34CFA-AAEA-4F1E-96E5-2CC1EB12AEE8.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Oh.

Like these?

yeah, they’re nice. 👍

E2F34CFA-AAEA-4F1E-96E5-2CC1EB12AEE8.jpeg

Yep, you got it!   Mine came with the NAS version.  Don't tell me yours had age stated.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yep, you got it!   Mine came with the NAS version.  Don't tell me yours had age stated.

Mine came from a KC sponsored cocktail class.  We (wife & I) made several different cocktails and kept the glasses.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Mine came from a KC sponsored cocktail class.  We (wife & I) made several different cocktails and kept the glasses.

Oh very nice indeed. 

• I like it 1

Interesting pour. Got this recently in KY so it seems to be a new bottle.

Very thin mouth feel and non existant body. Tastes like a bit of honey was poured on some dirt and a lot of sawdust. Bitter finish and tongue coating flavor. Tastes "young" to me. 

This VOB needs to hit the gym and age up a few years methinks.

A little tang of corn and straw.

And a brief medicinal note in the middle.

This bourbon tastes, to me, close to a bourbon who wants to be a scotch

20220909_184200.jpg

Edited by Dannabis

i've drank and given away many of these in the past. I do not see them in my neck of the woods, but i would pick up a case when driving through the MW.

I always thought the VOB100 had a solid, classic, enjoyable but not stellar, Barton profile.  

I remember them being 11.99.

I have not had a bottle in a couple of years.

Sorry to hear about yours.

• I like it 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:46 PM, Dannabis said:

Very thin mouth feel and non existant body. Tastes like a bit of honey was poured on some dirt and a lot of sawdust. Bitter finish and tongue coating flavor. Tastes "young" to me. 

I just found 2 or 3 of those from 2018 or 19 tucked away in a box in my closet. I would echo what Steven said above. Classic Barton bourbon notes but not spectacular. I want to say these were around $16 now so I temper my expectations with the budget.

• I like it 1

This was a fresh crack of a 2015 bottle last night at friend's for "bourbon night". Back into it a bit for part of my "Sunday Night Ritual ".

Wish I could go back in time and get about 2 or 3...hundred more of these. 

20220911_182700.jpg

• I like it 7

On 9/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, Dannabis said:

I've got a bottle of the VOB100 (purchased about 2 years ago) open right now and last night it made a pretty good Old Fashioned.  Not crazy about it neat tho.  I actually liked the 90 proof version neat much better. 

• I like it 1

Hole. Eeeeh. She. It!

This is a good bottle! We enjoyed a much needed pour with dinner (see the "What are you cooking on the smoker" thread.

20220914_181144.jpg

• I like it 7

35 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Hole. Eeeeh. She. It!

This is a good bottle! We enjoyed a much needed pour with dinner (see the "What are you cooking on the smoker" thread.

20220914_181144.jpg

Still want that llama 🦙!

and a sip of that gold.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Still want that llama 🦙!

and a sip of that gold.

Some of us have Minions. Others have a llama. Others??? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

Hole. Eeeeh. She. It!

20220914_181144.jpg

Nice looking bottle and glasses!  Glad the bourbon was OK, too.  😋

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.