What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, flahute said:

The quarterback who's ass got beat by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Here, let me help you.  The quarterback who continues to make millions through celebrity endorsements.  He was a shell of himself against the Seahawks.  He was a game manager by that time.  Still got a ring with the Broncos.  That said, even as a Colts fan, Brady > Manning.  However, while both great gamers neither were the greatest QB...looking at you Staubach, Tarkenton, Marino.  Different eras, different games.  Best in their era.  Maybe even Montana and Young > Brady and Manning.  

I ran across WSR 1.75 for $40 in Corpus Christi.  Non existent in Indiana.  Flying commercial with no options to pack safely so a no go.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Here, let me help you.  The quarterback who continues to make millions through celebrity endorsements.  He was a shell of himself against the Seahawks.  He was a game manager by that time.  Still got a ring with the Broncos.  That said, even as a Colts fan, Brady > Manning.  However, while both great gamers neither were the greatest QB...looking at you Staubach, Tarkenton, Marino.  Different eras, different games.  Best in their era.  Maybe even Montana and Young > Brady and Manning.  

Don't get me wrong - I love Peyton and always have. Except for that one game.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

😳

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

😳

Haha, I might have been on pour two or three when I posted last night.  But, I am one of the few Colts fans who believes  Brady > Manning.  Both are great and certainly among the greatest ever.  

In the meantime, I passed on Sweeten's Cove for $159.99 today.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Haha, I might have been on pour two or three when I posted last night.  But, I am one of the few Colts fans who believes  Brady > Manning.  Both are great and certainly among the greatest ever.  

In the meantime, I passed on Sweeten's Cove for $159.99 today.  

This is just an observation concerning Manning and Brady.

When Manning got the ball hiked to him, he had to get rid of it like a hot potato.

Brady on the other hand, had the luxury, stood there for a long time, waiting and looking around, like he was waiting in line to buy a hot dog or something.

• I like it 1

There have been many great QB’s In the NFL.  Besides being the greatest QB, Tom Brady is also the greatest player in NFL history.  Here’s one from the Super70sSports guy:

72DF310F-160B-4AD1-AE6E-5B12640A9EDD.png

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

There have been many great QB’s In the NFL.  Besides being the greatest QB, Tom Brady is also the greatest player in NFL history.  Here’s one from the Super70sSports guy:

72DF310F-160B-4AD1-AE6E-5B12640A9EDD.png

Oooooof, and Boom.

• I like it 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:51 PM, mbroo5880i said:

John Elway remains the best quarterback I've ever seen.  Literally carried his team on his back to multiple Super Bowls.  If you were going to create a QB from scratch he's still the prototype for me.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Jim Brown anyone?

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Jim Brown anyone?

Could be a case of recency bias, for Brady. This seems to happen in sports a lot. 

23 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Could be a case of recency bias, for Brady. This seems to happen in sports a lot. 

Most people these days making bold statements online don't bring much, if any, historical perspective with their arguments.

• I like it 1

Passed on a Smoke wagon Uncut/Unfiltered, yesterday.  I’ve heard good things, but decided on a couple others to take home, instead.  Perhaps, I’ll go back this coming week.  
Speaking of passing… 😁

Picking ones best/greatest of anything is full of opinion.  I get that.  But, Brady’s numbers, records, awards, etc., are staggeringly great by any measurement and in any historical context.  I’m not sure that SB has the bandwidth available to list them all here, so I won’t begin to put them down.  Playing at the most important and demanding position on the field, and possibly in all team sports, he has excelled like no other.  I think there may be a bias against naming a QB as the best player, much like there is usually a bias against naming a pitcher the MLB MVP.  These biases can often times be wrong.

In the end, his cumulative statistics  stand for themselves when compared to anyone in any era.    But, statistics mean more when they are  connected with Wins.  And, Wins mean more when they are connected with Championships.  SEVEN OF THEM.    In all of these cases, Brady has no equal.  
Besides these accomplishments, including the SEVEN Rings (over 3 decades, no less), he’s done all of this AND married a Supermodel..⭐😁

G.O.A.T.

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

Tom Brady was great,  and arguably the G.O.A.T.    Let the record show that in one of the best games he ever had,  he was beaten by Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Super Bowl was the G.O.A.T.    

24 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Tom Brady was great,  and arguably the G.O.A.T.    Let the record show that in one of the best games he ever had,  he was beaten by Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Super Bowl was the G.O.A.T.    

Speaking of Nick Foles.  He's a bourbon enthusiast too.  I've seen him comment in Fred Minnick's and Chad and Sara's YouTube livestreams

• I like it 2

I've asked around and I haven't been able to find anyone who doesn't agree with me that the sport of football, at its heart, is a contact sport.  Sorry but when discussing greatest "football players" of all time I can't place any QB from the current era at the top, however skilled they may be as passers of the football.  When rules almost totally protect them from all form of contact in what is meant to be a "contact" sport.  Brady is obviously an historically great quarterback but I don't let statistics blind me; I use my own eyes.  

To be totally honest, for me it's debatable whether an NFL quarterback in the current era can even rightly be called a "football player" with a straight face, in the strictest sense of the term.  QB's are literally a protected class in 21st century football.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I've asked around and I haven't been able to find anyone who doesn't agree with me that the sport of football, at its heart, is a contact sport.  Sorry but when discussing greatest "football players" of all time I can't place any QB from the current era at the top, however skilled they may be as passers of the football.  When rules almost totally protect them from all form of contact in what is meant to be a "contact" sport.  Brady is obviously an historically great quarterback but I don't let statistics blind me; I use my own eyes.  

To be totally honest, for me it's debatable whether an NFL quarterback in the current era can even rightly be called a "football player" with a straight face, in the strictest sense of the term.  QB's are literally a protected class in 21st century football.

Protected or not, NFL QB is the hardest position to play in any sport. Consider the more than million kids who play high school football, the hundreds of thousands who play college football, and yet at the NFL level we can't even find 32 who excel at the position. Currently I count only 12 who are locks on their teams. There's another 3 that show signs of being able to become locks. All the rest are already on the way out as soon as their team can find an upgrade or they are ascending but with major question marks. So protected or not, they are literally the most important person on the field and you cannot win a championship without a top talent (with very rare exceptions).

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I figured that’s where you were going.  OK.  

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Passed on a Smoke wagon Uncut/Unfiltered, yesterday.  I’ve heard good things, but decided on a couple others to take home, instead.  Perhaps, I’ll go back this coming week.  
Speaking of passing… 😁

Picking ones best/greatest of anything is full of opinion.  I get that.  But, Brady’s numbers, records, awards, etc., are staggeringly great by any measurement and in any historical context.  I’m not sure that SB has the bandwidth available to list them all here, so I won’t begin to put them down.  Playing at the most important and demanding position on the field, and possibly in all team sports, he has excelled like no other.  I think there may be a bias against naming a QB as the best player, much like there is usually a bias against naming a pitcher the MLB MVP.  These biases can often times be wrong.

In the end, his cumulative statistics  stand for themselves when compared to anyone in any era.    But, statistics mean more when they are  connected with Wins.  And, Wins mean more when they are connected with Championships.  SEVEN OF THEM.    In all of these cases, Brady has no equal.  
Besides these accomplishments, including the SEVEN Rings (over 3 decades, no less), he’s done all of this AND married a Supermodel..⭐😁

G.O.A.T.

After reading this, I  figured that you might get a kick out of this bottle.  I bought it in spite of the label, (Skins fan here 😉).

For the record, (see what I did there?), it's very good whiskey.

20220410_180820.jpg

20220410_180831.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Passed on Joseph Magnus for $99.99 Friday. I have absolutely no experience with this particular libation (nor will I ever be likely to at this price), but I have to ask those of you who do: Is this what it normally goes for?  Seems a little gougy to me.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Passed on Joseph Magnus for $99.99 Friday. I have absolutely no experience with this particular libation (nor will I ever be likely to at this price), but I have to ask those of you who do: Is this what it normally goes for?  Seems a little gougy to me.

That's about average. You can sometimes find it for $90 but can also find it for $110 to $120.

It's a good bourbon and it's blended by one of our very own - Nancy Fraley.

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Protected or not, NFL QB is the hardest position to play in any sport. Consider the more than million kids who play high school football, the hundreds of thousands who play college football, and yet at the NFL level we can't even find 32 who excel at the position. Currently I count only 12 who are locks on their teams. There's another 3 that show signs of being able to become locks. All the rest are already on the way out as soon as their team can find an upgrade or they are ascending but with major question marks. So protected or not, they are literally the most important person on the field and you cannot win a championship without a top talent (with very rare exceptions).

This is all true.  It doesn't change my mind however 😃

20 minutes ago, Thomm said:

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

That's about average. You can sometimes find it for $90 but can also find it for $110 to $120.

It's a good bourbon and it's blended by one of our very own - Nancy Fraley.

Last I checked some better stocked stores actually carry a 375ml size of this.  Might be a case to try a small bottle first with lower investment if you can find it.

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Last I checked some better stocked stores actually carry a 375ml size of this.  Might be a case to try a small bottle first with lower investment if you can find it.

That would be ideal. As a matter of fact, there is a tavern/restaurant very nearby that I very recently discovered has a basement bourbon den. A perusal of their offerings showed Blanton's at $10 a pour. Because I can't find Blanton's to save my life, I am planning to head over there for my first taste. 

If there is Magnus on the menu, I can experience both. That is, if I cannot find a 375 ml. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.