What Bourbon Are You Drinking 2022 1st Quarter?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Dismissed. ⚖️ Possible Weller ladder later this evening. 😋

Biba! Joe

Never made it to the Weller ladder last night. I did do a MM step ladder tonight though. MM followed by MM 101. No complaints.🙂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

You guys will probably think I’m either a novice (which I sort of am, only been a bourbon drinker for about 3 years) or perhaps just a collector (which I’m not, I like to drink it not look at it), but I finally got around to opening a bottle of Weller Antique 107 tonight.

For me, it’s just about the perfect balance of heat, complexity, smoothness, and flavor.  Love it.  If I had a favorite before this pour it would probably be EH Taylor, but this may be my new favorite.  Goes great with an Oliva Serie V Melanio, but I’m sure it would pair well with just about any decent smoke.

• I like it 9

Just continuing cleanup after  @GeeTen& his friend left all their open bottles here.

This is really nice!

God bless you guys!

😁

1A364608-3421-41CC-A488-66D1D140BDCE.jpeg

• I like it 7

10 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Just continuing cleanup after  @GeeTen& his friend left all their open bottles here.

This is really nice!

God bless you guys!

😁

1A364608-3421-41CC-A488-66D1D140BDCE.jpeg

How is the Calumet 15?  I’ve got the Sam Houston 15 and really like it, heard flavor is very similar.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DanP said:

How is the Calumet 15?  I’ve got the Sam Houston 15 and really like it, heard flavor is very similar.

Lots of Cherry 

Lots of oak

Pinch of banana

Nice kiss of heat at the end.

it’s good!

A bit like 1792 12 year on steroids.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, DanP said:

They are very similar - but the state barrel variations of the Sam Houston 15 make it different.  We had a "Texas" SH15 in Knoxville de-briefings 2 weeks before heading to "The Lou" after the meet in Columbia.  But after the first hour or so of bourbon and BBQ (many thanks @Clueby), we just enjoyed the pours for what they were and forgot about any serious tasting or notes.  @0895 and his "better half" have the luxury of tasting at their leisure  and conducting "critical" analysis.  🤔

But who got the bottle of the Dickel/Leopold Bros. "Collaboration" rye?  @JCwhammie?  If meme-master Tim kept it, please let me know .   🤣

Edited by GeeTen

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

But who got the bottle of the Dickel/Leopold Bros. "Collaboration" rye?  @JCwhammie?  If meme-master Tim kept it, please let me know .   🤣

It’s under my watchful eye.

I have grown to appreciate/enjoy its spiced sour appleness.  I’ve also been sharing it with anyone who wants to try.

🙂

• I like it 1

2 glasses of Woodford Reserve with a side of Little Feat “Waiting For Columbus”. Still great after all these years, the tunes not the bottle that I got at an etching give away. I just refill it from current releases in the 1.75ml format.

46CA8250-2B0A-44B1-8224-AB6684EFAF25.jpeg

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, RT Fan said:

2 glasses of Woodford Reserve with a side of Little Feat “Waiting For Columbus”. Still great after all these years, the tunes not the bottle that I got at an etching give away. I just refill it from current releases in the 1.75ml format.

Wow. Little Feat. Ain’t heard that band mentioned in a while.😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Wow. Little Feat. Ain’t heard that band mentioned in a while.😎

Biba! Joe

Love the Feat! "Fat Man In The Bathtub". I identify with that. 🤣

• I like it 5

On 3/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, 0895 said:

This is really nice!

God bless you guys!

😁

On 3/25/2022 at 5:28 AM, GeeTen said:

They are very similar - but the state barrel variations of the Sam Houston 15 make it different.  We had a "Texas" SH15 in Knoxville de-briefings 2 weeks before heading to "The Lou" after the meet in Columbia.  But after the first hour or so of bourbon and BBQ (many thanks @Clueby), we just enjoyed the pours for what they were and forgot about any serious tasting or notes.  @0895 and his "better half" have the luxury of tasting at their leisure  and conducting "critical" analysis.  🤔

But seriously though, do I need to try one of these?  I've always passed on the Calumet & Sam Houston 14/15 due to price.  But I am a fan of Barton liquid in general

I can get all of these (Calumet 14, 15, and the Sam Houston) ... which of these is the one to get?   I don't usually like dry tannic bourbons like EC18, ... so unless I heard from someone's experienced palate that I trusted (such as 0895 & GeeTen), I would probably just reach for the 14 year by default.  What say you both?

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

But seriously though, do I need to try one of these?  I've always passed on the Calumet & Sam Houston 14/15 due to price.  But I am a fan of Barton liquid in general

I can get all of these (Calumet 14, 15, and the Sam Houston) ... which of these is the one to get?   I don't usually like dry tannic bourbons like EC18, ... so unless I heard from someone's experienced palate that I trusted (such as 0895 & GeeTen), I would probably just reach for the 14 year by default.  What say you both?

I have experienced SH 14 and 15.  The 14 year MO & IL blends I've tried have been better than the MO 15 year.  When I say better, I mean more elegant and complex flavors with less burn.  IIRC the 15 year was a slight proof bump over the 14y.  The 14y seemed to have more bang for the buck to me.

The only Calumet I've had significant time with was the 1/3 bottle of 15 year GeeTen's friend left behind.  It is 105p, NCF, 19 barrel batch (single rack is how they describe it on the label).  I think it's really good.  Lots of cherry & oak, with just a hint of the Barton banana.  Slightly rough around the edges.  I would describe it most like 1792 12 year on steroids.  I like it slightly less than 1792 12y, but a whole lot more than any 1792 FP I've had.

So my personal recommendation is a bottle of Calumet 15yr, or a Sam Houston 14 year, acknowledging that the ones you find it TX are probably going to be different batches and thus variable.  None of them have been as dry or tannic as EC18 IMO, but please keep in mind that I tend to enjoy oaky bourbons.  I find them to be more fruit forward, followed by oak.  Perhaps a bar pour first would be the best suggestion?

Hope that helps.

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I have experienced SH 14 and 15.  The 14 year MO & IL blends I've tried have been better than the MO 15 year.  When I say better, I mean more elegant and complex flavors with less burn.  IIRC the 15 year was a slight proof bump over the 14y.  The 14y seemed to have more bang for the buck to me.

The only Calumet I've had significant time with was the 1/3 bottle of 15 year GeeTen's friend left behind.  It is 105p, NCF, 19 barrel batch (single rack is how they describe it on the label).  I think it's really good.  Lots of cherry & oak, with just a hint of the Barton banana.  Slightly rough around the edges.  I would describe it most like 1792 12 year on steroids.  I like it slightly less than 1792 12y, but a whole lot more than any 1792 FP I've had.

So my personal recommendation is a bottle of Calumet 15yr, or a Sam Houston 14 year, acknowledging that the ones you find it TX are probably going to be different batches and thus variable.  None of them have been as dry or tannic as EC18 IMO, but please keep in mind that I tend to enjoy oaky bourbons.  I find them to be more fruit forward, followed by oak.  Perhaps a bar pour first would be the best suggestion?

Hope that helps.

Awesome detail, thanks man. 👍   I'm gonna have to take another look at these.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Awesome detail, thanks man. 👍   I'm gonna have to take another look at these.

Sam Houston 15 year KY-1 batch from last summer is pretty dry and tannic. It’s good, but tends to be an “in the mood” kinda bottle for me. 

• I like it 1

A little sbs of ECBP B521 and my all time favorite KC PS Sib. These are very similar in ate, proof, and flavor. 

8FC5CF76-35A9-47CF-B96F-9191AF6570AC.jpeg

• I like it 4

56 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

A little sbs of ECBP B521 and my all time favorite KC PS Sib. These are very similar in ate, proof, and flavor. 

8FC5CF76-35A9-47CF-B96F-9191AF6570AC.jpeg

That's "THE" KC120??

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Rhettro said:

Sam Houston 15 year KY-1 batch from last summer is pretty dry and tannic. It’s good, but tends to be an “in the mood” kinda bottle for me. 

Thanks for the info Rhettro.  I didn't realize that these have regional batch variation until reading these pages today.  I learned something. 

• I like it 2

Fed Taxes - Done!!!

Do I owe - every damn year!

Is it a livable circumstance? Yep

Does getting it over with deserve a nice pour? Hell yes!!!

Sam Houston - FL-2

Sweet cherry & pear on the front end, a bit bitter tannic on the back; a livable circumstance just the same...

Happy Monday!

• I like it 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have been spending a LOT of time with WB Saffell.  The drinkability of this bourbon is nearly unparalleled in my collection.  Perfect proof for sipping on.  Perhaps one of the most balanced whiskies I've had to drink.  The nose is amazing and it tastes fantastic.  It ticks all of the boxes of what I look for in a bourbon.  Sweet oak.  Check.  Complexity that lends a nod to well aged whiskey.  Check.  Carries enough proof to let you know it means business but won't have you wondering what flavor of Starburst you just put in your mouth after you had three pours of ECBP that destroyed your palate like Bo Jackson destroyed Brian Bosworth.  Check  check checkity check.  I can't say enough about this bourbon.  If you haven't had any and it's available in your area I urge you to spend the extra $ it costs to get this 375 on your bar and in your pie hole.

• I like it 6

For the end of a short work week and welcoming a 3-day weekend a pour of 2021 Four Roses Small Batch LE is gracing the glass tonight.  That bottle has been hidden behind some taller ones and had escaped my notice for too long.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.