What Bourbon Are You Drinking 2022 1st Quarter?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I think we had one of those on the table last night, too, kinda', maybe . . . . . .  😬

Perhaps you should instead share with us what you guys did not have on the table. :P

• I like it 2

Pulled from the bunker.  Sure is an easy sipper. Cheers! 

turkey.thumb.jpg.4710d7efd6a3a70b70a109fd8922dc78.jpg

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 17

20 hours ago, Kepler said:

WT101

I've been drinking this occasionally because our local stores no longer stock Very Old Barton 100.  Surprised how much I liked it so will keep some on hand.

• I like it 6

Finishing off a bottle of Old Tub BIB which reminds me of 100 proof Beam which it is.

• I like it 5

Here are bottles being prepared for (de)liquidation,  which make for a fascinating comparison.  Sipped side by side, it is obvious they are the same MGP juice,  abundant in dark cherry Indiana goodness,  but their difference appears to be a year or two in age.  (Remus is younger)

It reinforces my impression that age in bourbon, good aging not overaging, shows itself in what I can only describe as a burriness or velvety mouthfeel.   They are both good,  but that burriness can really be felt with the BMSM

20220316_211542.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, squire said:

I've been drinking this occasionally because our local stores no longer stock Very Old Barton 100.  Surprised how much I liked it so will keep some on hand.

Good to see you back on the forum @squire!  I hope all is well.  I have a friend or two in Columbus.  Is that close to you?

• I like it 1

Watching Notre Dame-Rutgers in the NCAA tournament.  I am a fickle college basketball fan.  I rarely watch during the regular season but tend to tune in during the tournament.  Not sure why.  I play a bracket but nothing big.  

College basketball, NCAA tournament = weekend to me.  A couple of pours of J. Rieger Private Stock.  Not really a bourbon since it has been bastardized but it does contain bourbon and I am too lazy to post in the American Whiskey forum.  Good stuff but I am still a straight bourbon guy.  As a finished whiskey, it is good for what it is but the added sherry makes for a dry finish.  But, at 122 proof, by the end of the second pour I really don't notice.

• I like it 2

Plain ole Blanton's.  I've had this one open for a month or so and it's a good barrel.  Much better than the last one I had which was not good (bitter tannins).  This one is pretty good, no complaints from me.   I bought this one in 2018 and sure enough it's got laser code L18.  So not a representative sample of current Blanton's unfortunately.  The bad bottle I had was more recent but I don't remember the year.  Probably 2020 or 2019 based on recollection of where I bought it.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Plain ole Blanton's.  I've had this one open for a month or so and it's a good barrel.  Much better than the last one I had which was not good (bitter tannins).  This one is pretty good, no complaints from me.   I bought this one in 2018 and sure enough it's got laser code L18.  So not a representative sample of current Blanton's unfortunately.  The bad bottle I had was more recent but I don't remember the year.  Probably 2020 or 2019 based on recollection of where I bought it.

Just an FYI, there’s a dump date on the paper label that’s much easier to read.  😁

Also my experience parallels yours.

2016-2018 had some really good Blanton’s barrels.

I noticed the downhill trend starting in late 2019.  The last few pours I’ve tried of current product have unfortunately been disappointing.

19 hours ago, squire said:

Good to have you back sir!

The VOB100 is hardly made any more I believe. Barton can make more money selling excess whiskey to Bulleit and all the NDP labels so no reason to sell the 100 on the cheap like they used to.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Good to have you back sir!

The VOB100 is hardly made any more I believe. Barton can make more money selling excess whiskey to Bulleit and all the NDP labels so no reason to sell the 100 on the cheap like they used to.

It's been showing up in the northeast Chicago 'burbs region lately for some unknown reason, but at $19-25 it's up against some stiff competition, for my tastes anyway. I do have some around for a change of pace/whacked palate.

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Just an FYI, there’s a dump date on the paper label that’s much easier to read.  😁

🖕 ok smart as$.  haha I guess I just got too used to checking laser codes I wasn't even thinking, lol 😀

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, lemonman said:

It's been showing up in the northeast Chicago 'burbs region lately for some unknown reason, but at $19-25 it's up against some stiff competition, for my tastes anyway. I do have some around for a change of pace/whacked palate.

Yikes, I'm out at that price. It tastes too young to me now so in that range I'm sticking with WT101 and OF100.

• I like it 2

Oops, wrong forum.  Take it to the Foreign Whiskey (Irish)  forum.  Sorry.   🤪

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Yikes, I'm out at that price. It tastes too young to me now so in that range I'm sticking with WT101 and OF100.

Yeah, I've only picked it up under $20; both those you listed are definitely ahead of it, at least most nights. It's a better deal picked up from Costco as their BIB; they taste essentially the same sbs.

5 hours ago, lemonman said:

Last time I was in Chicago I picked up some VOB100 to pour in the hotel room.   First time I'd seen it in years.   Solid stuff.  

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, lemonman said:

Yeah, I've only picked it up under $20; both those you listed are definitely ahead of it, at least most nights. It's a better deal picked up from Costco as their BIB; they taste essentially the same sbs.

I have a bottle open so I just tried it based on this conversation and it tasted pretty good. I guess it depends where my palate is any given night. I still wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

I know one store I can rely on for VOB 100.

The lower proof version is available in a lot of places.

I had a bar pour in 2017. In 2018 I grabbed the only I've ever seen in the wild. Moving on to 2022 and starting the weekend early with ye ol ETL.

This is nice. A 90 proofer is a great starter...

I just finished scrubbing the upstairs carpets, decided to start the evening with some RHF

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.