What Bourbon Are You Drinking 2022 1st Quarter?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I had a few pours of KC15 last night. You weren’t alone!

Glad to know someone else was out there drinkin' with me!

17 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Breaking in my new 4R glass with a pour of OESV which is the recipe we picked last Tuesday. I’ll have to give it a proper SBS with a regular glencairn, but this is really good. Though could lead to big trouble with a heavy handed pour. 

I do not recall the name of this glass or the age of the barrel we picked. 12 BS samples along with a lil Lot B starter will do that I suppose. 😜

E345B5E2-9525-48EF-854D-A04E12EBB852.jpeg

Nice glass!

2 hours ago, lemonman said:

Started off with my go to, KC9. Following it up with some Baker's SmB.

That's a solid pair. I think I could live with those 2 bourbons and not much else.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My second pour of OF 86 emptied the 375 I had open. The pour ended up a little short, so being the master blender that I am, (apologies @WhiskeyBlender) I thought that adding some OF 100 to top off my pour might be pretty good. Well, I thought correctly. Yuuum! :P  I think I just might have to do some further sperimentin’ with a OF blend. ^_^

Biba! Joe

That sounds like a winning blend Joe.  As luck would have it, I did a little 'sprimentin' myself last night too.  I discovered that I had another OF1910 in the bunker that I didn't know about.  Not a fan of this one (the barreled finish on thi s one just doesn't suit me).  So I was going to sacrifice half a bottle of 1920 to mix up a "1915 blend" like a lot of people have recommended.  Well, I really really enjoy the 1920, it might be my favorite OF shelfie.  I noticed that I have 3 bottles of OF100 on hand, including a 1-Liter bottle that I already had open.  So I substituted in the OF100 to blend with the 1910 (50:50 ratio).  The result will be 96.5 proof, which is right in my wheelhouse.  I'll let it marry for a little while before giving it a spin!  I hope it works out well.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That sounds like a winning blend Joe.  As luck would have it, I did a little 'sprimentin' myself last night too.  I discovered that I had another OF1910 in the bunker that I didn't know about.  Not a fan of this one (the barreled finish on thi s one just doesn't suit me).  So I was going to sacrifice half a bottle of 1920 to mix up a "1915 blend" like a lot of people have recommended.  Well, I really really enjoy the 1920, it might be my favorite OF shelfie.  I noticed that I have 3 bottles of OF100 on hand, including a 1-Liter bottle that I already had open.  So I substituted in the OF100 to blend with the 1910 (50:50 ratio).  The result will be 96.5 proof, which is right in my wheelhouse.  I'll let it marry for a little while before giving it a spin!  I hope it works out well.

Great minds…………..^_^

A rough guesstimate as to the ratio of my blend last night would probably be around 2/3s OF 86:1/3 OF 100. I’m probably gonna do some fairly serious measuring and experimenting to try and make this a good one.  Hopefully both of our blends will be successful.🥂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Great minds…………..^_^

A rough guesstimate as to the ratio of my blend last night would probably be around 2/3s OF 86:1/3 OF 100. I’m probably gonna do some fairly serious measuring and experimenting to try and make this a good one.  Hopefully both of our blends will be successful.🥂

Biba! Joe

🥂

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I got around to opening one of those JW Dant I picked up, still a fan.

I love JW Dant.  Only had it one bottle as part of an order of Armagnac from Astor Wines.  IMO, better than EW BiB.  I wish it was distributed here in Calif. 

• I like it 2

Had some Belle Meade Reserve and Rebecca Creek 12 yo earlier, they were both good MGP.

Now moved on to a 2016 bottling of SAOS SiB 10 year (sorry, James not Sarah 🙃), I think I'll close out the night with this.

Edited by Kepler

Earlier had a 50:50 blend of RR10 + WTRB.  After it stood for a bit, quite interesting. I'm thinking, I will blend up a larger volume & let them mingle for a few months. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Earlier had a 50:50 blend of RR10 + WTRB.  After it stood for a bit, quite interesting. ...

I'd have never thought to try that, but it does sound intriguing.

29 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Earlier had a 50:50 blend of RR10 + WTRB.  After it stood for a bit, quite interesting. I'm thinking, I will blend up a larger volume & let them mingle for a few months. 

Cheers

I forgot to mention, the WTRB I used, is the 116.8 batch and the RR10 is the 90 proof.
I like the 116.8 batch a lot, but it always seems more young than my ‘ole fave WTRB-03.  So, the 10yr Russell’s helps. 

Cheers

I played mad scientist tonight. I broke out my graduated shot glass and got to work blending OF 86 and OF 100 trying to replicate an impromptu pour I had last night. I tried the 86 and 100 in 2:1, 3:2, 5:2 and 1:1 variations. Don’t worry about over consumption. I started out using teaspoon amounts. The winner was the 1:1 ratio. After deciding the winner, I then had a pour using an ounce of each. So far so good. I’m gonna back away from OF for the time being. I’ll be back later to reevaluate my blend. Fun times tonight. 🥃

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I played mad scientist tonight. I broke out my graduated shot glass and got to work blending OF 86 and OF 100 trying to replicate an impromptu pour I had last night. I tried the 86 and 100 in 2:1, 3:2, 5:2 and 1:1 variations. Don’t worry about over consumption. I started out using teaspoon amounts. The winner was the 1:1 ratio. After deciding the winner, I then had a pour using an ounce of each. So far so good. I’m gonna back away from OF for the time being. I’ll be back later to reevaluate my blend. Fun times tonight. 🥃

Biba! Joe

Sounds like a fun science project, 😄

Cheers

• I like it 1

Moved onto Larcney BP. Generally, Larcney hits the mark for me, tonight is not different. Yay me!!! ;-)))

I usually try to consume wheated bourbons prior to rye bourbons. Due to tonight’s time change, I’m feeling a bit whimsical, so wheaters are going to take me across  the finish line this evening. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

Went to a small wedding (~50 people) at a nice restaurant yesterday afternoon. Well stocked bar. Had a couple very generous neat pours of MM101. They really hit the spot and went well with the nicely grilled sirloin steak.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

Having my 1st Maker's 46 today. 

IMG_20220313_165121.thumb.jpg.877aff58945355db11bc83480671e3cc.jpg

Thoughts? I get lots of fresh cut grass in this one.

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Thoughts? I get lots of fresh cut grass in this one.

I'm not getting that. First glass was very much corn and spice. 3rd glass now and it's woody and spice. I quite like it. 

• I like it 1

Forgot to post this Friday. After work I went to a place across the street from the office for gong away drinks for a colleague that is moving on to different things.

This bar is a billiards place primarily and is not know for a well stocked bar. I usually drink 4RSmB there. More recently they've added KC9yr so I always have an option. Friday night they had Blanton's for the first. Given how allocated Blanton's is now I actually thought it kind of funny that they have it given that whiskey is an afterthought at this place. Given that it's been a while since I had it I got a neat pour.

And.....it was very meh. Not bad but also not how I remember it from back when it was always on the shelf. Very mild flavors and unbalanced at times. I remain happy to let others chase this one.

• I like it 6

Wife did some homemade pizzas for dinner.  Following up with 2020 4R LE.

• I like it 3

2nd night in row as tea totaler.   if this persists, I'll search forum for remediation classes to fix this problem.

• I like it 2

Had a pour or two of J. Rieger Private Stock Whiskey for dessert.  Finishing the weekend with a small pour of Woodinville Port Finish.  From 122 proof down to 90 proof is usually a disappointment, but Woodinville continues to deliver.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Forgot to post this Friday. After work I went to a place across the street from the office for gong away drinks for a colleague that is moving on to different things.

This bar is a billiards place primarily and is not know for a well stocked bar. I usually drink 4RSmB there. More recently they've added KC9yr so I always have an option. Friday night they had Blanton's for the first. Given how allocated Blanton's is now I actually thought it kind of funny that they have it given that whiskey is an afterthought at this place. Given that it's been a while since I had it I got a neat pour.

And.....it was very meh. Not bad but also not how I remember it from back when it was always on the shelf. Very mild flavors and unbalanced at times. I remain happy to let others chase this one.

I'm pretty sure it's become meh because the age of the barrels have gotten younger and younger, plus they know they can sell everything they bottle for mad money.

My younger brother is a big cigar guy and started to get interested in Bourbon.  He asked me about all the usual suspects.  I told him, with the Blanton's, if you tried it in a blind tasting, nothing would jump out at you, just sort of plain and ordinary.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.