What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s all good @Anwalt. I know you were razzing me. Yes, I love Weller’s. I am the self professed Weller Whore of SB. Wish I’d have been with you when you scored all the Weller SR in Ohio. Weller SR is pretty hard to find here in northern Illinois. Bottles hardly ever see the light of day. If I do see one, it’s usually at tater stores that charge near $100.00 a bottle. The timing of this is kinda funny in a way. My son called me yesterday. He’s looking for a bottle for a business colleague that lives out of state. I hooked him up one other time with a bottle for his friend. Can’t do it this time ‘cause I only have three bottles left. Looks like we might be taking a drive this afternoon. 🙄

Biba! Joe

Well if you ever travel down I-75 going to Florida let me know and I'll give you directions to a store to visit. They had a good selection of Weller on my last visit.

• I like it 3

Just a little EWSB before I walk up to the cider pub to hear some music. Last night I played at a private party and the gentleman whose b-day we were celebrating brought an assortment of bourbon I haven't seen in ages to share...I about fell over. Blanton's, ER, Weller SR, OWA107, a handle of BT...made me pine for the days I used to be able to get OWA107 at Woodman's. Sad to hear EWSB is going to be KY-only...explains why it disappeared from Costco (and what happened to the Barton-made bourbon Costco was selling? It showed up, I got a couple bottles, and it vanished without a trace it seems...dad gummit...)

• I like it 4

Celebratory pour of PVW15.  
I did some structural repair to the deck.  Whoever built this was no carpenter.  I found unsupported beams on an expansion.  I’ve built a few boxes (with granite tops)  for the smoker and serving that are formidable.  Over winter I notice some concerning “sagging” so I doubled six carrier beams and added vertical supports under to carry the loads.  We finished that and added 28 joist hangers.  56 to go.  Not a single joist hanger on this thing!
Once that is done, I’ve got to replace some lattice screening near the pool mechanics.  Then it is time for new decking.

Great sense of satisfaction but dang , I’m old!
Time for another before dinner.

• I like it 10

I mean….. like……thank goodness, right?

7D77C120-1AE0-4239-ACAA-BC777B900F15.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 11

Opened up the RV site for the 2022 season.  Had some Blanton's straight from the Barrel on Friday evening.  On saturday, I switched to TX straight whiskey which is a real vanilla bomb (my wife says it smells like cupcakes).IMG_2052.thumb.jpeg.229543180464d72b0efe10aef8133ca5.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

IMG_2051.jpeg

• I like it 12

Had my first pour of a store pick EBCS (120 proof) last night. What a fantastic bourbon! I'm going to pick up a couple more for the bunker.

• I like it 2

More time under the deck.  I just sat down to a MM MR1-3 wood stave experiment.  Definitely hitting to spot.

• I like it 3

Post dinner MMCS.  Why change if it is working!

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, markandrex said:

More time under the deck.  I just sat down to a MM MR1-3 wood stave experiment.  Definitely hitting to spot.

Do you see the irony - deck and wood stave experiment. 😁

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

Do you see the irony - deck and wood stave experiment. 😁

image.jpeg.b5ec030d105e32e047b4e4b22c0f60f9.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

image.jpeg.b5ec030d105e32e047b4e4b22c0f60f9.jpeg

Your reply was Golden.  😀

• I like it 3

Ya gotta have some fun. Unfortunately this was at a fellow Hoosiers expense. Still…..🤣

image.gif

• I like it 1

I stumbled upon this one at the back of my shelf. A 15yr 4 mo oak bomb. I put some water in to tame the oak tannin bite a bit. 

It's funny how just 3 years ago these 14-15yr KC Sib were plentiful at $50. 

A24347CE-870E-42E4-B15F-E62AEEA5E6B0.jpeg

• I like it 5

My favorite freezer bourbon.   I really like this much better than 4Ryl for this.  And, it's way cheaper too.

AA out of the freezer.jpg

• I like it 5

5 minutes ago, fosmith said:

My favorite freezer bourbon.   I really like this much better than 4Ryl for this.  And, it's way cheaper too.

AA out of the freezer.jpg

Do you tend to tip this only from the freezer? I see it around the northern VA shelves, and though I like AAA 10 Star, I haven’t heard great things about the 80 proof AA, at least not at the usual shelf temperature. 

• I like it 1

From time to time we receive different rewards for being Comcast/Xfinity customers. The current reward is a “Watchathon” giving us access to a few things we don’t normally have. Being a history and military history buff, tonight I’m watching a few episodes of “Patton 36O°”. While watching Old Blood And Guts, I’m having a couple of nice pours of Eagle Rare. 🪖🦅

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Do you tend to tip this only from the freezer? I see it around the northern VA shelves, and though I like AAA 10 Star, I haven’t heard great things about the 80 proof AA, at least not at the usual shelf temperature. 

Out of the freezer is the only way I drink AA.  Somehow, the cold temp brings out the sweetness and caramel.  It's not bad neat for a $10 80 proof bourbon but not that great either.  EW black for the same price is much better neat IMO.  I've never seen AAA (I guess it's not distributed in CA) but would love to try it someday. 

• I like it 3

I opened a my first bottle of 4R SiB last night 

very nice but I have to admit my favorite 4R might be the standard SmB

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, yobber76 said:

I opened a my first bottle of 4R SiB last night 

very nice but I have to admit my favorite 4R might be the standard SmB

Have you tried the FRSmB Select yet @yobber76?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Finished hanging all the joist hangers on the deck.  Some were near the steps that required crawling in and laying on my back to install.  All told there were  77 sets ranging from two feet off the ground to nine feet above grade.  Not fun.

4R SiB in the glass after a bbq chicken dinner.  

• I like it 5

Buffalo Trace, tonight.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Buffalo Trace, tonight.

Like a brother.......

Was at the Safeway pharmacy to get my shingles vaccine and swooped by the liquor case and saw that they had BT which I have not purchased in a very long time. So this is my combined buy/open/drinking post and I'm thrilled to say that the quality is very very high in this bottle.

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

Like a brother.......

Was at the Safeway pharmacy to get my shingles vaccine and swooped by the liquor case and saw that they had BT which I have not purchased in a very long time. So this is my combined buy/open/drinking post and I'm thrilled to say that the quality is very very high in this bottle.

Brother!  
Mine was a just purchased bottle, too.  It is really good.  Love the chewy earthiness, and a terrifically thick mouthfeel.   

• I like it 4

EW 1783 here, I rediscovered some stashed in the bunker, from the sale before last at the grocery store. 👍

• I like it 3

Tacos and cervezas with @PhantomLamb tonight led to a hearty pour of this bad boy. My first nip of WLW, or any BTAC for that matter. The generosity of friends and the SB family never ceases to amaze me. 

And yes, the WLW was fantastic. Thanks again, Dylan. You’re a keeper. 

F56BAE7D-514B-42ED-AFCC-63687006BB9A.jpeg

• I like it 11

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.