What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My mom is over for Easter dinner and asked if she could have a taste of the “funny looking Old Forester bottle”.

So we’re both enjoying one.

She says “it’s pretty good”.

A766C603-5293-4D18-BC1E-9ED13E61E87C.jpeg

• I like it 15

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

My mom is over for Easter dinner and asked if she could have a taste of the “funny looking Old Forester bottle”.

So we’re both enjoying one.

She says “it’s pretty good”.

A766C603-5293-4D18-BC1E-9ED13E61E87C.jpeg

That's great!  Your mom sounds like a great mother!  But, I suspect you already knew that.  Happy Easter!

• I like it 2

On 4/12/2022 at 7:32 AM, GeeTen said:

Where are you goin'? Direct to Singapore or Doha (18 hours, sheesh)???   🥵

Well I lied, it was a 19 hr flight with a break in between. But the destination was Singapore!

Back in town and kicking back with an EC

• I like it 3

Oh and the best sleep of my life. I can’t sleep comfortably after a drink but there is something about overdrinking, the jet engine rumble, and an unreasonable amount of turbulence. 

• I like it 5

I'm about to finish this Virginia Gentleman I bought, because I'd never tried it.  It's a very mild 80 proof Bourbon.  Nothing wrong with it.

• I like it 6

had stressful day yesterday.  decided to walk in fav store for something interesting.  shelves somewhat bare.  half bottles I'd already tried, half didn't want to try.  Jeff Very Old on sale, haven't had theirs recently so maybe doing something interesting.  It was interesting, made an impression, decide if good or bad with more samplings.  It did not seem very old at all.

Tonight to wind down decided to stay with interesting so opened a new 1L JDSB.  I like where they're going.  Followed with GDBIB and it was compliment to JD.  GD stronger.  Both good.  Followed with recent WTKS and it paired well with rest.  All recent bottlings purchased recently.  All similar $ level.  Perhaps future not that bleak???

• I like it 5

22 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

... Perhaps future not that bleak???

Indeed,

I just opened a recently purchased EW 1783.  

Put this one into a blind tasting.

My prediction - 🤩🤔🤯

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

Indeed,

I just opened a recently purchased EW 1783.  

Put this one into a blind tasting.

My prediction - 🤩🤔🤯

So are you liking it better than EW SiB?

Having a pour of 4RSmB Select.  This stuff is sneaky good.  Not as good as my favorite 4R single barrel private picks but this is something you can always find on the shelf and at a sane price in today's insane market.

I really dig the spicy note combined with the NCF oily mouthfeel. And the 104 proof is right down my alley.  It's as if Four Roses took a page from my other favorite distillery down the road in Lawrenceburg and made their own version of my other favorite shelf bottle (RRSiB).  

Lawrenceburg Man

• I like it 5

11 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

Having some bulleit bourbon. It's nice, not thrilling, but nice. 

Sounds about right. It used to be that Bulleit was mostly sourced from Four Roses. These days there is still a good amount of 4R but there's also a lot of everything else in the mix including a lot of Barton.

I had one recently at a place with super limited options and my reaction was the same as yours.

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Having a pour of 4RSmB Select.  This stuff is sneaky good.  Not as good as my favorite 4R single barrel private picks but this is something you can always find on the shelf and at a sane price in today's insane market.

I really dig the spicy note combined with the NCF oily mouthfeel. And the 104 proof is right down my alley.  It's as if Four Roses took a page from my other favorite distillery down the road in Lawrenceburg and made their own version of my other favorite shelf bottle (RRSiB).  

Lawrenceburg Man

My man! Joining you with a WT101 followed by a 4RSiB 100 proof. 

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

My man! Joining you with a WT101 followed by a 4RSiB 100 proof. 

#LawrenceburgMen

😁

• I like it 2

Having a bit of Willett Pot Still SiB. I’m digging it. No wet cardboard here. Thank goodness. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Having a bit of Willett Pot Still SiB. I’m digging it. No wet cardboard here. Thank goodness. 

Cheers

Changed it up quite a bit. Now in the glass, PH orange curaçao finish.
This is an interesting pour.  Over the years of being open , It has never really knocked my socks off.  One can tell it has a good bourbon base.  For me, unfortunately, the orange is just a bit over done. So, I have to be in the right frame of taste buds to enjoy.  Thankfully for me, tonight, I am in the right frame of taste buds.
Yowza!!!  The curaçao is on point.  As the bottle nears its completion, I kinda wish, I had picked up a backup. Mainly, because this whiskey, beats to a different drum. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

A couple of pours of ER this evening. 🦅 Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ☺️

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

On 4/21/2022 at 6:41 AM, Anwalt said:

So are you liking it better than EW SiB?

EW SiB used to be decent, when the barrels selected were all ten years old.  As the age dropped, result was very average tasting whiskey.  I haven't bought any new releases in a long time.

Just from memory, the 1783 is much more to my liking.

Given EW SiB is single barrel, I'll float the possibility out there, that somebody somehow scored a secret honey barrel.  Realistically though, I'll believe it after I try it. 

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

EW SiB used to be decent, when the barrels selected were all ten years old.  As the age dropped, result was very average tasting whiskey.  I haven't bought any new releases in a long time.

Just from memory, the 1783 is much more to my liking.

Given EW SiB is single barrel, I'll float the possibility out there, that somebody somehow scored a secret honey barrel.  Realistically though, I'll believe it after I try it. 

Paul O, as always, thanks for the feedback.  The history of how some bottles have changed over the years is interesting and useful to know.

• I like it 1

Statesman on the deck with the ocean breezies.   Life is short, so let it be sweet.

20220422_191536.jpg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Paul O, as always, thanks for the feedback.  The history of how some bottles have changed over the years is interesting and useful to know.

I was never particularly impressed with EWSiB even in the old days.  Had (and has) a grassy not I've never liked.  What HH does is make the best rye on the planet.  For that, all is forgiven.

• I like it 2

4RSmB on a crystal clear ice ball while having dinner at Sage Lodge in Pray, Montana.  First time to Montana, and it is a stunningly gorgeous part of the country.  

93325FA1-B96B-4BC0-B0CA-A4D1952B7E88.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 13

Sipping on some Still Austin straight bourbon, their standard bourbon release called "the Musician"

A "Texas bourbon" that's really made in Texas.  It's got a youthful corn flavor but damned if it's not actually really tasty with a nice oily mouthfeel.  Combined with the long legs in the glass it makes me think it is non chilled filtered; however it doesn't mention that on the bottle.

I paid $35 for this bottle and although it doesn't come close to matching the best value leaders from the big distillers (e.g., WT101 or OF100) I have definitely purchased many bottles over the years that offered far less value for the dollar.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.