What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

Had my very first pour of Old Tub last night.  Not everything can be a winner.  OF100 and EWBIB are heads and shoulders above this pour.

At $23 not a loss but that's the first and last bottle for me. 

100% agree here

• I like it 2

I must say that an OGD BiB is a damn, nice decanted bourbon. Not great on the nose, but the high cinnamon cuts into a covid depleted palate, beautifully.

Oh yeah, I'm drinking that...

• I like it 1

OE7 today.  Still working on the deck.  The deeper I go, the more I find that I don’t like.  This is gonna take awhile.  Of course I do tend to “overbuild” on my projects.  If a little is good, a lot must be great!

• I like it 3

49 minutes ago, markandrex said:

OE7 today.  Still working on the deck.  The deeper I go, the more I find that I don’t like.  This is gonna take awhile.  Of course I do tend to “overbuild” on my projects.  If a little is good, a lot must be great!

A good friend of mine had a saying, “the worst enemy of good is better”. Which I have to say 90% of the time is true. But then again where would we be if Ben Franklin or Elon Musk had just settled for good. Although I am nowhere near either one of them, so good is good enough for me. :D

• I like it 3

SkyClub Woodford Reserve bottle kill on my way to the SB.com National Convention…

IMG_7966.thumb.jpg.854ea34a734882ca513411337f7df724.jpg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

SkyClub Woodford Reserve bottle kill on my way to the SB.com National Convention…

IMG_7966.thumb.jpg.854ea34a734882ca513411337f7df724.jpg

Well done!  I second the motion to name the Spring get together the SB.Com National Convention!  

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I must say that an OGD BiB is a damn, nice decanted bourbon. Not great on the nose, but the high cinnamon cuts into a covid depleted palate, beautifully.

Oh yeah, I'm drinking that...

Really miss OGD BiB as all my stores no longer carry it or the 114. 

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, beasled said:

The last SFTB in the bunker. Better to have loved and lost etc... cheers!

20220428_204756.jpg

I feel your pain - down to my last 2 in The Bunker as well.  Good thing I have a few more Golds to hold me over the drought!   😇  

• I like it 2

Just now, GeeTen said:

I feel your pain - down to my last 2 in The Bunker as well.  Good thing I have a few more Golds to hold me over the drought!   😇  

You lucky thing! :D

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, beasled said:

The last SFTB in the bunker. Better to have loved and lost etc... cheers!

20220428_204756.jpg

Love the Tullibardine glassware— I’m starting a search. 

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Love the Tullibardine glassware— I’m starting a search. 

Honestly... it's the best f-ing glass I've used yet and I keep reaching for it. 

The gimmick is that it's shaped like a barrel, but the result is that you have a tumbler sized glencairn, given the shape bulges out in the middle and tightens at the top. The extra height compared to a glencairn means (in my experience) a LOT more going on with nosing. Drams I've had in the past revisited seem to have more of a nose than before... 

A measly £3.50 on the Tulli website, hope you have some stateside or something similar! 

20220428_225137.jpg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Weller Antique for an after dinner pour.

It’s been a minute since I’ve had W107 so cracked a screw top. Satisfying open. Even more satisfying pour. 

DDD9039F-E003-41CB-8CCF-085C7A8A8E73.jpeg

• I like it 7

Trying to cull some bottles.

VOB 90.  When we visit Kentucky it has  been kind of a tradition to buy a bottle at a drug store and make a toast with it, (out of red Solo cups) on our first night.  We start each day with a pour.

Every time I drink it, I think of those trips, and look forward to the next one.

20220428_204709.jpg

• I like it 6

Revisited this last night. A little grainier than I remember but still pretty good. 

20220428_195324.jpg

• I like it 3

After being off this site for a couple years it's amazing how many different new brands are now available and how NDP's seem more acceptive.  Nothing wrong with that and opinions do change on many different things over time.  The only constant I see is the steadily rising prices.

• I like it 2

I did a quadruple Weller sbs the night before last. I had small pours of a ps old bottle OWA, a Weller CYPB, a ps new bottle OWA, and finally, a Weller SB. The best tasting was the old label OWA. It was outstanding. 😁  A rich, chewy, butterscotch bomb, reminiscent of a glut era dusty. Bringing up the rear was the Weller SB. Surprisingly though, this was was the best it has tasted. :o  I sure hope it doesn’t take a “palate adjustment” of three other Weller pours to make the rest of my Weller SB more palatable . 😬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Well, the plan was AE bourbon & rye with a friend who likes it low-proof, sippy, and sweet.  But now it's mañana because...Puerto Rico.  

So.  Sonny boy is in Lexington.  He just just lost his first $10 on horses.  But he is sipping the "commission bottle" (what I bought him for buying me bottles whilst down there).  And so I thought I'd sip in solidarity.  PS:  That bottle was about $29 in Lexington.  <sigh>.

PS:  Am I a bad father because I suggested that he should loudly & repeatedly explain to muscular locals that Man O War might have liked boy horses too?

2022-04-29 16.30.56.jpg

• I like it 1

On 4/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, TunnelTiger said:

Had my very first pour of Old Tub last night.  Not everything can be a winner.  OF100 and EWBIB are heads and shoulders above this pour.

At $23 not a loss but that's the first and last bottle for me. 

Is the way I felt when I bought a bottle when it was discussed on SB last year.  I was hoping for a bargain find to rival JW Dant BIB (which some stores here sell only in plastic handles), but alas . . .

OTOH, good news is - after a couple months of not drinking per doctors' orders (well, not admitting to finding a stray sip or so in my trash can stash), I just topped off my "What beer . . ." foray with a one ounce sipping of WT 101 KSBW.  Why not OGD BIB?  What you think I been cheating with the past two months????

• I like it 6

4 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

After being off this site for a couple years it's amazing how many different new brands are now available and how NDP's seem more acceptive.  Nothing wrong with that and opinions do change on many different things over time.  The only constant I see is the steadily rising prices.

Agree.  And I've been here those two years.  A couple of my stores have told me that my bottom/lower middle shelfers are now spottily available because the walk-in crowd wants the fancy labels, and shelf space is expensive.  I can't blame them as they are trying to make a living.  That said, a week later, what I couldn't find (OGD BIB and OF 1897) was readily available (although I had to get down on my knees and reach into the bottom shelf!!), and I was told I could always "special order" and "reserve" without an increase in price.  The 1897, to my surprise, was right around $50; had been $54 and up last year.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.