What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This one was a well-meant gift.  It just does not do much for me.  Granted, I have a sweet tooth.  But the ending is just too bitter without much before it.  The remainder may become cocktail fodder.  Or perhaps the object of a blending experiment.

I'll probably go back to the AE Rye to close the weekend on a positive note as I return to the four dry days.

PS:  Was reading in the park where open drinking is sometimes discouraged.  Hence the opaque yet tasteful mug.

2022-04-24 16.57.35.jpg

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks for asking @mbroo5880i. Thing are better now. The fundraiser was for a friends oldest daughter(33). She got Covid, and was in the hospital for about three months. The fundraiser was to help with medical expenses. 

I spent a lot of time talking with folks I hadn’t seen in ages, so I kinda took it easy as far as drinking went. Other than pop, I had a MM double, and one beer. Yeah, I was a good boy. 😇

Biba! Joe

It is good to hear things are better now. The financial and emotional aspect of a long-term hospitalization can be overlooked. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Working in the yard all day.  WSR in the glass this evening.

After all that hard work, you deserve a great pour.  Heck, we all do.  All of us with a bottle open need to enjoy a pour.  The weekend is about over!

On 4/22/2022 at 9:23 PM, smokinjoe said:

4RSmB on a crystal clear ice ball while having dinner at Sage Lodge in Pray, Montana.  First time to Montana, and it is a stunningly gorgeous part of the country.  

93325FA1-B96B-4BC0-B0CA-A4D1952B7E88.jpeg

Awesome!  I have a friend who moved to Bozeman a few years ago and she seems to be living her best life.  I am happy for her although sad because she split from a really close friend to move out there to live near her brother.  

My wife and I have discussed visiting Montana.  I looked up where you are staying.  Two words....jealous and enjoy!  Looks like a great area and great place to stay.  Share pictures, please!  Even if it in just your hand on a glass of bourbon with the mountains in the background.  Nothing like getting photobombed by the mountains. 😀

I started out with a nice pour of KC9.  No problems opening.  No problems drinking.  The nice cherry light oak profile that I enjoy.  100 proof is about as good of a sweet spot for bourbon as there is.

I am now following up with a new pour for me.  Woodinville Private Select Single Barrel.  My third Woodinville offering having previously had the standard 90 proof bourbon and 90 proof Port Finish bourbon.  The former which I really enjoy.  The latter which is good but I am not a big finished bourbon fan.  All in all, I prefer the standard version over the finished version.

This bottle is one that I have been eyeing for a while.  It is a Big Red Liquors Selection at 118.58 proof.  It doesn't provide the age but I thought I read somewhere it is around 5 years old.  It also doesn't say Non-Chill Filtered.  But, it is pretty cloudy.  It also has some nice long oily legs in the glass.  It is normally $79.99 but I picked up this bottle for $64.  A little pricey for the age.  But, good, no it is  not.  It is great!  I really like the Woodinville brand.  

I was hoping to pick up a bottle of the rye. but they were out.  Maybe next time.  In the meantime, I got to try something new and it is worth the experience.  I would pick up another bottle on sale.

• I like it 2

Ordered in a Weller 107 and Weller SR along with a Blantons to replace Weller and Blanton empties.   Never had the 107 before so I couldn’t pass on it. 

• I like it 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:26 AM, JakeySnakes said:

I've found that setting can often influence taste. 

Side note: Any images of the bus? I spent a summer in NM living out of a 1972 Westfalia. 

Side Side note: Nice Best Made mug. Really too bad they got sold, just not the same company anymore.

On topic: Had a little ER last night while watching the Mets drop one to the Dbacks. Will probably finish the bottle off today for the 4pm game.

Here's the 1971 Kombi-- my weekend work truck, which shares the warehouse space with Herbie.

I also lament the passing of Best Made-- I never arrived at the White Street store without a bottle in hand. I'm still great friends with the ex-manager, and continue the tradition every time I'm in the city.

IMG_7940.thumb.jpg.457e914410b1dfeffa42fa3d41e88fa6.jpg

IMG_7939.thumb.jpg.dd88faed9ef250806429d3754ac5934e.jpg

• I like it 15

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Here's the 1971 Kombi-- my weekend work truck,

Now that’s a bourbon mobile! 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Clueby said:

It's an EC kinda night.

20220424_190735.jpg

Hmmm - those bottles look strangely familiar!!!  😂

So, has your assessment changed in the last month or so???   😋

And I have an 11yr EC SiB Barrel Proof Wegman's pick for you and SWMBO to taste test in June!

TTFN,

F.

8-)

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Here's the 1971 Kombi-- my weekend work truck, which shares the warehouse space with Herbie.

I also lament the passing of Best Made-- I never arrived at the White Street store without a bottle in hand. I'm still great friends with the ex-manager, and continue the tradition every time I'm in the city.

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Dave, were you Ridgemont High, Class of ‘82?  😂.   Fernet and coffee seems much safer… 🤪

A6474469-2209-4E8A-9D13-E42EF6BEE674.gif

• I like it 5

Saturday, Troyce and me sharing pours of Jim Beam White at his son’s wedding in Montana.  Amazingly, it wasn’t from his empty Pappy 15 bottle, as usual…😂

I can’t remember what he said here, but it must have been funny…

Jim Beam White can be, and really is, very good with a great friend.  

581C022F-C636-460B-81DF-650456581368.jpeg

• I like it 11

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Saturday, Troyce and me sharing pours of Jim Beam White at his son’s wedding in Montana.  Amazingly, it wasn’t from his empty Pappy 15 bottle, as usual…😂

The only thing that makes bourbon better is bourbon with friends.  Great pic!

• I like it 3

On 4/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, Anwalt said:

This one was a well-meant gift.  It just does not do much for me.  Granted, I have a sweet tooth.  But the ending is just too bitter without much before it.  The remainder may become cocktail fodder.  Or perhaps the object of a blending experiment.

I'll probably go back to the AE Rye to close the weekend on a positive note as I return to the four dry days.

PS:  Was reading in the park where open drinking is sometimes discouraged.  Hence the opaque yet tasteful mug.

2022-04-24 16.57.35.jpg

Love the mug. Yes, I'm a Buckeye.

• I like it 1

On 4/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I started out with a nice pour of KC9.  No problems opening.  No problems drinking.  The nice cherry light oak profile that I enjoy.  100 proof is about as good of a sweet spot for bourbon as there is.

I am now following up with a new pour for me.  Woodinville Private Select Single Barrel.  My third Woodinville offering having previously had the standard 90 proof bourbon and 90 proof Port Finish bourbon.  The former which I really enjoy.  The latter which is good but I am not a big finished bourbon fan.  All in all, I prefer the standard version over the finished version.

This bottle is one that I have been eyeing for a while.  It is a Big Red Liquors Selection at 118.58 proof.  It doesn't provide the age but I thought I read somewhere it is around 5 years old.  It also doesn't say Non-Chill Filtered.  But, it is pretty cloudy.  It also has some nice long oily legs in the glass.  It is normally $79.99 but I picked up this bottle for $64.  A little pricey for the age.  But, good, no it is  not.  It is great!  I really like the Woodinville brand.  

I was hoping to pick up a bottle of the rye. but they were out.  Maybe next time.  In the meantime, I got to try something new and it is worth the experience.  I would pick up another bottle on sale.

Those Woodinville barrel picks are great. I've done three of them now and have also gone to the distillery a few times when they had their "taste from three barrels, pick your favorite, and fill a bottle of it right out of the barrel". So good. They do it with both bourbon and rye. And, once the event is over, they combine the remains of the three barrels and sell that at barrel proof out of the gift shop.

• I like it 4

On 4/24/2022 at 5:37 PM, Clueby said:

It's an EC kinda night.

20220424_190735.jpg

Had a pour of the middle bottle tonight as well. So good.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Love it! Great hat.

And, you've heard my story about Beam White being the best thing I ever tasted after two weeks with nothing in China and suddenly having it available.

There is always a place for Beam White.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Love it! Great hat.

And, you've heard my story about Beam White being the best thing I ever tasted after two weeks with nothing in China and suddenly having it available.

There is always a place for Beam White.

Yes, there is!  Back in ‘04, Troyce and I attended our first KBF.  The General Nelson used to have a mini of bourbon on the dresser as part of a welcome basket.  JB white was in ours.  We cracked it, poured into the cheap hotel plastic cups, and toasted to the weekend in the Motherland.  Great pour for the occasion!

Regarding the hat, his son from the wedding makes them in Livingston.  His business is Cofer Hat Company.  

Edited by smokinjoe
Didn’t look good.

Had my very first pour of Old Tub last night.  Not everything can be a winner.  OF100 and EWBIB are heads and shoulders above this pour.

At $23 not a loss but that's the first and last bottle for me. 

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Significant pay raise. (You old guys remember those?) Celebratory pour of WTMK 17 year. 🤪😝🤑

I will join you in your celebratory pour. My oldest son just told me he has accepted another position in Atlanta for a 20% pay increase.  Congrats to both of you!

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.