What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Spring 2022)

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:14 PM, B.B. Babington said:

[snipped a bunch to save bandwidth. hjorg]

I'm out o' loop?  how long Bernheim using this label?

[snipped some more. hjorg]

B.B.Babb, thanks for featuring Bernheim.  It used to be a Summer go-to for me, but for some reason (COVID ? Bunker work-down?) I'd forgotten about it.  I found one in a dusty corner of the bunker.  It'll hold me until I get back out there.  RE: the label - old one was fake metal embossed and glued on.  Is that what you are remembering?

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

... RE: the label - old one was fake metal embossed and glued on.  Is that what you are remembering?

gaudy but I loved it

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, Mano said:

They had an insane drop the past couple of days at the Utah stores. Dropped Parker's, HH17, OF 9, 11, 14 & 17, RR13, FRLE, BSFB, BG, W12, JD10 and several others. All at isolated locations at different times, and they only let each person pick 1. I have a friend in a remote location that doesn't drink who picked me up a bottle of RR13 and OF14 ( he had his wife with him ).

signal-2022-07-07-12-11-43-000.jpg

and I was able to get a couple of bottles of W12.

signal-2022-07-06-14-21-44-147.jpg

Almost feels like a relaxing of the bubble might be comin. Incredible month for you.

Edited by FasterHorses

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Almost feels like a relaxing of the bubble might be comin. Incredible month for you.

I don't know if the bubble is relaxing, there have been frenzies at the stores the past few days. The DBAC  here in Utah changed leadership and seem to be managing it better ( actually changed their official name to the DBAS for Alcohol Service as opposed to Control ). Most all of these would have been in state wide lotteries in the past, but instead they just did the massive drops, and only allowed 1 allocated bottle per person per day per store. I think that since it involves more effort than the lotteries, more of the bottles end up in the hands of the true bourbon lovers ( and unfortunately, some flippers ) whereas the lotteries that are publicized have a greater proportion of guys who don't really appreciate it or just want to make an easy buck.

I have gotten lucky that I have flexible work schedule to pursue these and some friends that have been willing to help me out. I actually got two more bottles last night ( that a friend got for me ), a bottle of FRLE and a bottle of JD10. It has been a great month, now have to figure out when I am going to drink all these 😀 ( good problem to have ).

Edited by Mano
  • I like it 7

I grabbed two additional Calumet 16 today.  

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 5

Finally found the elusive Triple Mash Jack in my area at a run-down liquor store.  Not quite as good as the Bonded, but I'm happy to have it.  I'll have to revisit this in a couple weeks.

Image.thumb.jpeg.e8d48fc9b0d4281483d04cbf456dc38a.jpeg

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Mind asking what you paid for the Weller 12? 

8 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Mind asking what you paid for the Weller 12? 

The W12 was $50 + sales tax.

• I like it 3

58 minutes ago, Mano said:

The W12 was $50 + sales tax.

that is outstanding! Here stores asking $450. I got one for $199. I feel abused, BUT I am in NY.  My fault...

• I like it 1

I've avoided owl as it seemed too pricey but a guy in store talked me into one.  not tried it yet.  I've avoided War Horn whick is local distillate as it seemed too pricey for what it was.  Now it's looking like more age and price drop so I'll give it a shot.

1830373587_P7080022(2).thumb.JPG.d3b2d33db14fa6657eb5d1503679b01f.JPG

• I like it 4

20 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I've avoided owl as it seemed too pricey but a guy in store talked me into one.  not tried it yet. 

Looking forward to reports on all of the above, but especially that KO & Bookers.

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Looking forward to reports on all of the above, but especially that KO & Bookers.

Wait, what?  Were supposed to taste it?? 

I'm anxious to try the Owl since there's been so much buzz about it. 

Also the Catoctin Creek could be interesting.  That outfit produces some high quality material, surprising for small relatively new upstart.  I've been catoctin fan since they 1st released 1st(?) product, a white dog rye for astronomical $40 about 2010.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

Wait, what?  Were supposed to taste it?? 

I'm anxious to try the Owl since there's been so much buzz about it. 

Also the Catoctin Creek could be interesting.  That outfit produces some high quality material, surprising for small relatively new upstart.  I've been catoctin fan since they 1st released 1st(?) product, a white dog rye for astronomical $40 about 2010.

I have the 2022-01 Bookers and its great.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, hughewil said:

a few pickups while I was in Kentucky

oh and this

857062797_privatebarrel.thumb.jpeg.756e021a0c7ed36bf4569669dcd75b7a.jpeg

Wow!

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, hughewil said:

a few pickups while I was in Kentucky

How's the Watershed?  I mean to take the kids to the distillery for dinner and drinks.

• I like it 1

Most of us, when out of town, look for a local store to see what can be found that is not available locally.  I'm in upper state New York, looked and found nothing more interesting than family sized Sazerac.  My brother in law says he wants to go to a wine store for some good wine and I go along.  The wine store is not on the Google radar for liquor stores but I picked this up there and saw a lot more worth going back for, all about $7 to $14 more than normal retail, not bad enough to pass. Barrell batch 27 and Dovetail and Brisson cognac.0709221154e.thumb.jpg.abbb84776c13fcd891192863500a3e7c.jpg

• I like it 3

41 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

How's the Watershed?  I mean to take the kids to the distillery for dinner and drinks.

It was ok.  I got the 4 year finished in apple brandy barrels.  It was fruity but the finish is short

• I like it 1

Wasn't really looking for bottles— but both liquor stores I visited were coming off their worst weeks ever in terms of sales, so I picked up a few things. The Patrón and Reviseur were opened in the stores.

IMG_8326.thumb.jpg.e6eb7473cc70f4dc5b852bebe51d7e80.jpg

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

so I picked up a few things

I will be curious as to your opinion on Blood Oath.  Seems to be all the rage.  Not sure if it's hype or it really is that good.

I had to pop into the liquor store at lunch to get a bottle of marsala for dinner later this week.  While I was there I spotted the Calumet 16 on the shelf.  So that went home with me.  :)

• I like it 6

A simple grab...

Went to get an OGD BiB - 3 different stores - zilch. My decantered spirit will change.

Thought 'bout my better half and picked up her fav to decanter, a 4R SB; oh yea ,also grabbed a George Remus for the bourbonite of the house; me...

• I like it 4

On 7/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, Mano said:

I don't know if the bubble is relaxing, there have been frenzies at the stores the past few days. The DBAC  here in Utah changed leadership and seem to be managing it better ( actually changed their official name to the DBAS for Alcohol Service as opposed to Control ). Most all of these would have been in state wide lotteries in the past, but instead they just did the massive drops, and only allowed 1 allocated bottle per person per day per store. I think that since it involves more effort than the lotteries, more of the bottles end up in the hands of the true bourbon lovers ( and unfortunately, some flippers ) whereas the lotteries that are publicized have a greater proportion of guys who don't really appreciate it or just want to make an easy buck.

I have gotten lucky that I have flexible work schedule to pursue these and some friends that have been willing to help me out. I actually got two more bottles last night ( that a friend got for me ), a bottle of FRLE and a bottle of JD10. It has been a great month, now have to figure out when I am going to drink all these 😀 ( good problem to have ).

Tried to add photo to previous post, but I guess you can't edit after a certain amount of time.  Got everything from friends, and picked up a couple more bottles. Here is what I was fortunate enough to get the past two weeks all together. I have not seen a drop like this since the bourbon craze began.

20220710_114554.jpg

Edited by Mano
  • I like it 12

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.